“Good hostel... if you stay upstairs!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halifax Backpackers Hostel

Halifax Backpackers Hostel
Halifax Backpackers Hostel
Guelph, Canada
“Good hostel... if you stay upstairs!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

Overall, this hostel was good. Definitely in a more dodgy area, but maybe more interesting for it (and besides, nothing is too far in Halifax). The cafe downstairs is good, the staff are helpful, and the upstairs rooms are nice, with hardwood floors. However, the showers were pretty basic, and sometimes gross, with fruitflies all around them, and sometimes rotting baseboards. I also stayed one night in the downstairs "family room" and the floor was pretty filthy and made of school-type tile/concrete. It is also louder here as you are closer to more traffic. While I can't say that it'd be my first recommendation to a friend, overall the experience was a good one. Just clean a little more, okay?

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank accordionchick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

After reading a few reviews I was a little hesitant in booking this place. The location was not the greatest.
We were travelling with our parents so we did'nt want to get into anything too dodgy. After leaving it too late to get into the other hostel we settled on this one and we weren't disappointed.
The staff are all very friendly and are happy to give advice. We were a little concerned about our hire car parked on the street all night but it was fine. The cafe was cheap and had great food and the rooms were spacious and clean.
In the end a great hostel at a very cheap price. Halifax is not that big and even though we had a car it would be easy to walk to everything from the hostel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

This hostel was cheap and said it was in a great "multicultural" location. For a group of 4 girls, it was totally unappealing, and we were pretty anxious about walking down the street on our own as we didn't feel very safe. The hostel itself was very clean, the staff were friendly, but we didn't get ANY sleep because the beds were the most uncomfortable things we had ever slept on. If you like springs poking you in the back all night, go for this hostel! The rooms were a decent size and we were kept together, which was great. The bathrooms are quite small and infrequently serviced - countless times there wasn't any toilet paper in any of the bathrooms. If you're only staying a night, it's perfectly fine. I wouldn't plan on spending a week here though. The morning we left, there was a random person curled up in a totally awkward position on a chair in the kitchen. We still don't know if he was actually alive!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

For this price, I would have expected much less from a hostel. The Backpackers Hostel was one of the best experiences I have had for a mere $20/night. Clean, spacious rooms, fairly comfortable beds, spacious kitchen areas. The cafe downstairs offers up light, yummy breakfast, lunch and dinner options. Gottigen Street was only about a 7 minute walk to Citadel Hill. Locals will warn you about the dangers of the area, but the walk back from the bars was quick and easy to navigate.

I fell in love with the people I met at the hostel, particularly the staff. One lovely young boy made us homemade popcorn while we were playng Canadian Monopoly, and another gave me a great Joanna Newsom album recommendation. The staff socialized freely with hostelers at one of their weekly barbeques, and a few of them even came out to a pub with us afterwards.

My only complaint would be the sluggishness of the Internet. However, in these days of high-speed DSL, text-messaging and Twitter, who needs to really check their emails? This hostel is full of such great, welcoming, interesting people that you'll severe your cyber-world umbelical cord in no time.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

Great hostel overall - had a yummy cafe with very friendly staff. Rooms were only $20 a night for a mixed dorm with only 6 people. You are provided with sheets and towels, and there is free wi-fi and internet access on their two computers. They had an all you can eat cookout for $5 when I stayed there!

In a little shady area of town, but my car was parked outside all weekend and everything was fine. About 10-15 min walking distance to the waterfront where everything is. You should definitely stay here if you can!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

I stayed at the backpackers for two weeks in March, 2009, when I first moved to Halifax.

The accommodation is the cheapest in town ($20 per night for a dorm). The dorm rooms are limited to no more than 6 beds per room, which is a lot smaller than other other hostels.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this hostel to other travellers. Lockers are free, wireless internet is free, there is a decent sized, well-equipped kitchen, and a wonderful cafe downstairs that has a book exchange, tables, and a good selection of food. The showers are great, and the laundry facilities are good too.

The staff were excellent, and were happy to recommend things to do, and direct me towards whatever I needed. They run barbecues and brunches, and really seem to enjoy working in the hostel.

The location (Gottingen Street) is fine for access to downtown, Dal, and pretty much anywhere else in the city. Gottingen has a bad reputation, but it is well-equipped with a number of great bars (the hostel is directly opposite the Company House bar, which has loads of live music), and is next to the Bus Stop Theater, which has a good selection of plays/performances. Also on the street is MenzBar (Halifax's only gay bar), a couple of nice restaurants and a great MicroBrewery. The area does feel a bit sketchy late at night, but nobody I met at the hostel reported any problems. If you show some common sense (don't wander about, drunk and lost, flashing your wallet and cell-phone) then you'll be fine. The hostel is close enough to town to make getting a taxi back at night inexpensive (although I never bothered).

All in all I had a great stay. I'd definitely stay again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business