“Best scallops”

Ed's Take Out & Christina's
Ranked #9 of 37 Restaurants in Digby
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have been traveling in Nova Scotia for 2 weeks and eating lots of seafood.. The scallops in a scallop roll at Ed's were, by far, the best we had on the trip. Nothing fancy about this place but great scallops, fries were ordinary.

There are newer reviews for Ed's Take Out & Christina's

Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

After reading reviews on several sites, my bf and I decided on Ed's for dinner.
Lots of locals were around so our chances of an unforgettable meal seemed good.
I should say that my bf and I had never had scallops or clams, and my bf isn't a true fish eater...so when I saw that their burgers were supposed to be good we got excited!
Boy were we disappointed. I asked for a dry battered seafood platter...clams, scallops and haddock with fries. My boyfriend ordered a burger and onion rings And would have half my fish as well as bites from the rest.
The onion rings were good. Would have liked to see a dipping sauce other than ketchup though...the fries were ok. Nothing too special.
The oil they used was old (everything came out very dark) and it tasted as such.
The clams tasted like Halls Harbour smelled this morning. It took all I had to finish them (this might be how theyre supposed to taste though...) I don't know they just tasted off...my bf wouldn't touch them after the first bite.
The scallops I enjoyed far more than my bf but I feel they had little to no taste.
My bf's cheeseburger was decent. Tasted like homemade with not quite enough meat between the buns "buns tasted microwaved" says the bf...
The bill was high for what we wanted to pay but I guess it was worth it because now we know what we like and don't like.

2  Thank tr1ch89
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My first bite at this joint was in the 70's and it's still as good as ever. You don't go to Ed's for the ambience, it's as basic as you can get. The deal here is seafood as fresh as possible. You're not going to eat scallops in a 5 star Manhattan restaurant that can match the taste of them here. Anything you eat here will be excellent to the extent that you will never forget the experience. A great value.

1  Thank sloopmaster
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I may live here but I am not a fish person. I much prefer my meat but I must say Ed's Take Out is great for their fish & chips. My husband orders the clams and I get the fish. I order an extra piece of fish for him. The fish and chips are always good and coming from someone who does not eat fish you can't get a better recommendation. He says the clams are great as well. We were just there again yesterday.

1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed December 25, 2011

If you are so lucky as to go to Ed's, definitely have the clams. Don't eat all your fries and have a donut . I grew up in Digby and used to hang out with Christina's daughter. It didn't matter how many showers she took, she still smelled like Donuts. That's how busy they were in the Bakery. I can almost taste them now. And the Pies!!!
If you are so lucky as to go to Digby, you'll have wonderful scenery and wonderful food. I lived there 30 years ago and I have eaten alot more Clams since then. Ed's is still the Best. And the cost.....ridiculous.