“Excellent, excellent, excellent!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Digby
Holdsworth House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 14 Digby B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My sister-in-law and I stayed at Holdsworth House B&B on an overnight trip to Digby on November 8,2013. Tony, Margaret and their doggies: Chester, Bumpy and Doc, exceeded all our expectations. We felt welcomed and at home from the moment we arrived. We opted to stay in the Elizabeth Holdsworth room and found it to be clean, comfortable and cozy. Our breakfast of poached eggs on smoked salmon with a side of homemade hash browns was absolutely delicious! Oh, and the coffee was out of this world! I had a second cup and Margaret was kind enough to fill my travel mug before we departed. We can not wait to go back! I think this will become an annual event!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My friend and I had selected the Mabel room and it was too bad that we arrived so late in the evening that we didn't appreciate the view and the owners' hospitality until the next morning. We slept well in our twin beds and everything was clean and comfortable, although with only a clawfoot tub in a quaint bathroom with sloping walls, it was a bit awkward to wash and dry our hair. Tony was waiting downstairs for us in the morning and gave us some history of the 225 year-old house that he and his wife Margaret had restored themselves. Clearly a labour of love.

But the best was yet to come as we headed to breakfast at Mag Pye, the restaurant owned by the couple. We had a most delicious breakfast, selecting from among the mouth-watering choices on the menu. and sitting at a window table overlooking the harbour and chatted with both Margaret and Tony. After a fantastic omelette with Digby scallops, my only regret was that we couldn't arrange our schedule to have dinner there. The shop owner at Whales n Sails, a few doors down, told us that Margaret makes the best steak he's ever had.

Room Tip: If you prefer a shower to a bath, ask for a room with one as they don't all have a shower.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in August 2013. We had met Margaret and Tony (along with their dogs - I'll upload photos of two of them: Chester and Bumpy) when we were in Digby last year and were absolutely astounded by Margaret's cooking and Tony's great service at their restaurant in Digby - Mag Pyes.

Their house - Holdsworth House - is really very charming and captures a real 18th century feeling. If you are into jacuzzi's and modern facilities then this may not be the place for you. However, if you appreciate quality, comfort, an amazing attention to detail, and the best customer service available anywhere - then Holdsworth House is a place where you must stay.

Breakfast is served at their restaurant about 1 km away - it has an amazing view of the working harbour in Digby, right across from a small waterfront park. Margaret's breakfasts are absolutely heavenly - delicious just about beyond belief. She really pours her heart and soul into the preparation of her food and you can taste the result. She uses quality ingredients and is a superior cook. Tony's, and the rest of the staff's, care and service are really next to none - it is a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Margaret invariably comes around to see how you are enjoying her preparations. She is a really interesting person who is loads of fun to deal with.

I would highly, highly recommend Holdsworth House an Mag Pyes if you are anywhere near Digby!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Elizabeth room which has a stand up shower and loads of room - although the ceillin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

After coming back from a 16-day road trip in July 2013 through Nova Scotia I can only say that these was the nicest place we stayed in. Initially the plan was to spend only one night with Margaret and Tony. However, we enjoyed the house, the breakfast, the hosts and Digby that much that we decided to stay an additional night.

Seriously if you are looking for a place in Digby you found it. The house is full of details and arranged with so much love to detail and the restaurant where you will eat your breakfast is the best in the whole area. From all the places we stayed at we will remember this one most. It is simply special!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bastian S
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in the Elizabeth room which was comfortable with a nice large bathroom. It's not fancy but it's quaint, historic and reasonably priced. It was nice to experience a bit of history and much more memorable than staying at a typical hotel. Margaret and Tony were friendly and attentive hosts. Because we were leaving on an early ferry in the morning, Tony packed us a generous 'breakfast to go'. We had a delicious dinner at Magpye's as well. Thanks Tony and Margaret!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I could not have asked for a kinder welcome to Nova Scotia.

Margaret made the ferry reservation for me when I booked my room with her, which was a great help as I planned my trip. She and Tony were waiting for me when I arrived, and Margaret gave me a full history and tour of the home that they've worked hard to renovate.

Walk to town takes under five minutes, maybe a minute to drive. Wifi was perfect. Rooms are exceptionally clean, quaint, and comfortable. The bed was great on my bad back. And you'll see from the pictures, that there are claw foot tubs in two of the three rooms. If you need a fancy shower and uber-plush furnishings, this just isn't the place for you. But if you revel in and appreciate history, you will love it. And you will also meet like-minded people during your stay here.

In addition to this is Mag Pyes, their cafe downtown, where you will eat your breakfast (and if you're lucky, dinner!). Don't let the word "cafe" fool you--the food is above par, and the personal attention from Margaret and Tony will make you feel great. They work very hard to make it all come together, and it shows--when talking to Margaret, I could see the quiet beam of pride and it made me happy. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nhmillgirl
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a a great couple of nights at the B&B and a lovely meal at their cafe - Mag Pyes. A great tour by Tony when we arrived and it is obvious they are proud of their restoration and so they should be. Breakfast was great at Mag Pyes - anything you wanted on the menu but we couldn't resist the pancakes. Margaret and Tony are very easy going and friendly and it was a great start to the day chatting with our hosts and their friends in the cafe. Everyone has been so hospitable on our journey so far. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple