“What a find!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Digby
Holdsworth House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 14 Digby B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Let me start by saying I rarely bother to review places my wife and I stay but I feel a few words about the Holdsworth House in Digby Nova Scotia are essential. We have stayed at B&B's in Canada and Europe for over thirty years now and NOTHING can match this place for uniqueness, cleanliness and old fashioned hospitality and friendliness. Margaret and Tony have created a special place that as their website says takes you back into the 19th century as you walk through the door. From the food cooked on the huge open hearth fire to the furnishings and decor it is an experience we truly savoured. This place, the oldest house in Digby is located a five minute walk to the Main Street where all manner of shops, restaurants and pubs can be found. The people we found to be extremely friendly to the extent my wife has called the place happyville
This is also the first B&B we have visited where breakfast is not served in the house. Margaret and Tony also have a small cafe/diner on the Main Street where the most amazing food is served. We opted for the scallop omelet and it is also an experience not to be missed. WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room to the left at top of stairs but were given a tour and they all looked equally...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don F

Reviewed October 10, 2012

From the moment I called to make our reservation until I left Digby, and now, Margaret and Tony have been friends more than hosts. Holdsworth is the closest thing I have experienced to an 18th century luxury - impeccably maintained and cared for. Their cafe by the waterfront - Magpyes is another gem and talk of the town, for its scrumptious breakfasts/brunch and dinners. We traveled as a couple and were treated no less than royalty in their beautiful home. Margaret's local knowledge and advice led us to Point Priim, and it was the best lookout/sunset i have seen, EVER! Oh and her recommendation and arrangement for Whale watching just enhanced our experience to a whole new level. Everything from the chats in their gazebo/backyard, overlooking the Bay of fundy to the oatcakes at Magpyes, was PERFECT and more. We miss being in digby, being in the company of the wonderful couple, Margaret and Tony. Cant wait to be back, Cheers!

1  Thank AnshulSing
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I took my first trip to Nova Scotia this summer and Digby was part of the plan mainly for whale-watching - an experience too beautiful for words. But Digby is also special for a wonderful home and its lovely residents.

Maggie and Tony have put in a lot of love in this beautiful property. For me personally, a house with animals is a MUST :) Their beautiful family includes 2 beautiful cats, Thai and Moochie (it was love at first sight) and 4 lovely dogs who are just as generous. I had a most comfortable stay here.

The house has a charming decor and is well-maintained with artifacts from the old days.

Our room, The Mabel, was fantastic and so wonderfully quaint (what I look for most!!). My favourite part, I have to admit, was the bathroom with a tub in the middle and a lovely ottoman and rocking chair - so perfect!

Every little detail is well thought out including bedding, water jar, bathroom supplies - The Works! The kitchen is a delightful mix of old world charm and modern utility.

I have to note the beauty of the backyard. It has a lovely gazebo that overlooks the Bay of Fundy!!! FYI, Point Prim is an unbelievable look out point just 15 minutes away - Breathtakingly beautiful, calm and tranquil. We spent 3 hours there just taking it all in and saw the most amazing sunset and seals!!!!!!

Downtown is a few steps away and has a lovely cafe called Mag Pyes owned and operated by our very own Margaret :) My husband had informed her that I am vegan and Maggie was on top of it. While I thoroughly enjoyed all that Digby had to offer, my favourite part was when Maggie fussed over me at breakfast - I usually only have a cup of coffee. I haven't been 'scolded' so lovingly in a long time. She even packed some goodies for us when we left Digby making it harder for us to leave. Maggie, you make the most delicious oat cakes :) We can't wait to see you all again. Apart from the scenic memories and experiences we got to know so many wonderful people and you ALL are right at the top :)

1  Thank crazyforquaint
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I felt at home from the moment I was greeted by Tony and Margaret and their pets. Spending time with them one evening made me feel like I was with old friends. They are naturals at what they do and are sincerely interested in sharing their knowledge and experiences with you. I had the James Addington Holdsworth room to myself. The bathtub and dim nightlight made an end of a sight seeing day so worth it. In the morning you can see the bay of fundy and the cute back yard from the window seat. I drove to the restaurant down on water drive and was greated with kindness by Margaret and her staff. The meal selection is outstanding, best B&B breakfast I've ever had. The view is mesmorizing as it is of the harbour front with all the lovely boats. I so want to go back and I'm so glad I stayed here!

Room Tip: I had a chance to see all the rooms and they are all equally as nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ChristineWOW
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Reading the reviews of the Holdsowrth House Bed and Breakfast, it sounded too good to be true. It wasn't. We were totally blown away by Margaret and Tony with their hospitality and their home. The home is a walk back through the centuries, while the rooms are holding to that tradition but with the amenities you would expect in a fine hotel. We were celebrating our 40th anniversary while there and Mag and Tony made us feel regal. For breakfast you have to take a walk to the waterfront to Mag Pye's. It is a neat little restaurant with a nice selection of offerings from a Scallop omelet to French toast (part of your room rate). We were taking the 8:00 ferry the second morning we were there and they made us a breakfast fit for a king and queen for the boat. If you are anywhere in the area and you don't stay there, you have missed a wonderful treat and some wonderful people. You will be spoiled rotten. You should know they do have cats and dogs. We found the animals to be friendly and at night they are kept in the owners quarters. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Don't miss it.
3  Thank TravelingDanMaine
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I agree with everything people said before. I can just add that Tony and Margaret have 2 cats and 4 dogs, and my kids really liked to play with them. The house is like a museum, that you can live in- a unique experience, and we loved it a lot. So thanks again to wonderful hosts, for personal care and making this beautiful house Home away from home for their guests.

Room Tip: Elizabeth room is exellent, with private bath and separate kids bed in semi- private area
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna290
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Our room was a excellent price. Mag & Tony were gracious and helpful. The home restoration was amazing. A convenient location for walking to the harbour area. Breakfast is served downtown at Mag Pye's - so good! We wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2012