“Lovely family resort in Digby”

Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Digby
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This resort is charming in a very Nova Scotia kind of way. The surroundings are absolutely beautiful, very green and the view of the water is incredible. The staff is friendly and the beds are comfortable. I came here for a bachelorette party and we booked a 2 room cottage for the 4 of us. While the cottage bathrooms are pretty average, they are clean and functional. There are flat screen TVs in the rooms and living area and a mini-fridge which can prove quite useful.
Dinner in the hotel restaurant is a little pricey, but the scallops are delicious and you can bring your own wine so long as it’s unopened. This is a great perk as there are quite a few local wineries that are wonderful to visit.
From what I could tell there seemed to be plenty of activities for families and I heard good things about the golf course. All in all this seems like a really nice place.

Room Tip: The cottages are great if you are traveling with a family or group of friends.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed our renovated cottages, beautiful property, incredible views and dining options. Our cuisine incorporates local ingredients from land and sea, including world-famous Digby Scallops. Because of our commitment to local and fresh ingredients, prices may be higher than restaurants.

We hope you can come back and visit sometime soon. Maybe even try a round of golf on our golf course.

Until then,

There are newer reviews for Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed 2 nights with my husband for a short getaway and really enjoyed this hotel. I will start by saying it is indeed a historic building, and as such one should expect rooms to be the size they were int the early 1930's. That being said, I enjoy historic buildings and find the variation in the rooms to be interesting and refreshing. This is a beautiful old building, not a rectangular concrete box with identical, boring rooms. Having said all that, first the good.

Good:
Service- front desk friendly and helpful. Check in smooth, we were offerred assistance with our bags which we declined as we are able to easily carry our own.

Room- Bed was great-king size, mattress must have been brand new, high quality. Triple sheeted with duvet, comfy linens. I was pleasantly surprised that there were feather pillows on the bed and foam in closet. Usually I have to ask for one or the other - my hubby and I have different pillow preferences. The room was small, no way around that. The space was used well,though. There was one armachair, a desk/tv stand combo, a tiny table and 2 night stands. There was a proper closet with a door that swings open and a full length mirror inside the door. I have stayed in 5 star htels that for some strange reason lack a full length mirror. There was also another mirror over the desk that I found useful for hair/make up as the bathroom is very small. I had requested extra towels when I made my reservation and they were in my room upon arrival. That rarely happens, I usually have to ask again once I check in. Oh, and some other nice touches- there were 2 luggage stands in the room. Thank you. 2 travellers usually means 2 suitcases, most hotels only give one luggage rack. There was an extra banket in the closet but it was not needed with the lovely fluffy duvet, but good to have if needed.
Our room was on the top fllor at the end, I think we may have gotten an even smaller than ususal room, with a slanted ceiling, but the location made for a quiet room. The room had lots of light, including an overhead light. The window could be opened. The a/c worked just fine, cooled us down to an icy 19 on a hot august day.
The bathroom was tiny, not unlike other older hotels, but it served us OK. Lots of hot water and good pressure.

The facilities- Pool was outdoor, heated, refreshing and large- I could actually swim laps in it.There were pool noodles etc for kids to use. Locker room at pool site.There was a small fitness facillity there, too with a pool/fitness centre attendant.
There is a huge beautiful lobby that we didn't even have the chance to walk through.

The restaurant- was great. Best part of the stay. Top notch food and service, had 2 dinners there. Old fashioned service, great menu, excellent food.. Hot breakfast buffet which was included was amazing- had all you could want and great service- most buffets lack any kind of service. The coffee was especially good. I was very pleased with the food.

The grounds- were beautiful, landscaped, and filled with flowers

The room for improvement-

Only small things, really. Once you have accepted the fact the an old building can't magically make their bathrooms bigger without major work.

There was no one outside to offer service when bringing bags in. There are quite a few steps up to the door. It didn't bother me, but a it would be a nice touch, especially for somebody unable to carry bags up stairs. Even a ring for assistance bell.

There are again steps throughout the hall, would be good to know for people with mobility problems as one does not expect that.

The fitness centre was very small, and appeared to be not air conditioned but it was open to outdoors to let in lots of air.

The rooms would not lend themselves to a family stay in 1 room, but there are many cottages on property. I did not see inside them so I have no idea how they are configured.

I really enjoyed my stay !

The Pines provided an excellent base for us while we explored Brier island and area. Oh, and golf is their thing here. We didn't golf, so I can't comment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for sharing these kind words with us. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our historic accommodations, mouth-watering dining options, and friendly, helpful service.

Thank you for your recommendations; I will discuss these ideas with our team. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Digby Pines was beautiful, would love to stay there again. The grounds are well kept, and the rooms very nice and clean. The staff was very helpful and our stay was very nice. I would definitely recommend to anyone. Great for families as well!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you writing a review on your stay at the Digby Pines. We're delighted to hear you enjoyed our updated guestrooms, resort amenities and friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I liked the resort. There was lots to do there for the whole family. Rooms were on the smallish side but not bad. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Enjoyed our stay. The only big complaint was the AC in the room. It never cooled and it was warm the nights we were there. Overall it was good.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Digby Pines. We take pride in our family-friendly resort offering a variety of different on-site and off-site activities. We have shared your comments with the team and they were happy to hear such positive feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is an old style 'English' hotel with large common areas and a certain charm. It is however very tired and needs serious up-dating. The location is OK but not great as it is not within walking distance of the 'town'. The hotel does however have a free shuttle. It is convenient for the ferry to St John,assuming you have a car and it appears to be the best option for the area. The beds are comfortable but the air conditioning is not that efficient. Staff are quite friendly and quite helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peter_sue20

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're delighted that you enjoyed our historic resort, nestled along the Bay of Fundy. We have recently renovated our property and will continue to do updates as resources become available. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for two nights in July 2012. We selected it because of its rating and because there's not much else of that class to be found in the immediate area. Unfortunately, we did not get to golf because it poured on the day that we had planned for it. The Pines itself is owned by the NS government and operated for them by a hospitality group. The property is beautiful and expansive and has trails for walking around with some great views. Our room was at the east end of the building, facing south, towards the pool and the town. Unfortunately, it was also within easy earshot of the main air conditioning unit and downwind of the kitchen. So, it was difficult to keep the window open to feel and smell the night air and to listen to the sound of the water. Staff was pleasant, although, for the most part, seemed very junior an unsure of themselves. The rooms are quite small, as is often the case with "railroad" hotels built during the early part of the 20th century. It is fairly well kept but showing its age in some areas. One really nice feature was the large common area on the main floor. We sat in the sun room playing Scrabble and enjoying a bottle of wine and cheese plate one evening as the sun was setting. No doubt this place is only an echo of its former self but they're trying hard to make it work. When in the area, I'd probably stay here again but mostly because there's not a lot of competition.

Room Tip: West side of the main buiilding and stay on the top floor for best view and least noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We take pride in our heritage resort and we're happy you enjoyed the spacious common room, beautiful views and on-site amenities.

We hope to welcome you back when you're visiting the Digby area.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

First off, a little disclosure, my wife and I were married at the Digby Pines Resort several years ago. Also, my family has gone to the Pines for vacations, weekends, etc., for decades... As a result, it will always have a place in my heart...

THAT's why it hurts so much to see that the current owners (I believe it's still the NS Government) REFUSES to put the required dollars into the resort to keep it up and looking spectacular. On this trip, it was clear that mainteance budgets have been cut. Cottages that would normally get a full paint job had to do with touch ups... flower gardens that once overflowed with some of the most beautiful arrangements simply had a few straight rows of wilting flowers, and the once green lawns were dry, burnt, and prickly. It's a shame, because I remember a time that the Pines was a very special place indeed.

The good news is the updating of TVs in all the rooms (to smallish flatscreens) and new beds.

It was odd, this year my wife and I visited on the 4th of July -- athough not a Canadian holiday, in years past, this would still be a busy time at the Pines -- this year, notta, nothing, no one! The place looked and felt empty. Really quite sad - kind of a ghostly setting of a formerly grand and busy hotel.

The older staff (the ones that remember how things used to be) still do their very best to keep the traditions alive, but the newer, younger staff (who never knew the "old" Pines) just don't seem to care. Everything is now casual and informal - the exact opposite of what made the Pines so special -- you would have never seen shorts in the dining room (ties were requried) -- not anymore... the staff had different uniforms for the time of day -- not anymore. Theses were just some of the things that made going to the Pines an event!

The Aveda Concept Spa is a high point @ the Pines -- top notch people, fair prices, and GREAT service. This is something that is a must do should you be into Spas. The golf course remains a challenging and beautiful way to spend an afternoon -- once again, not nearly as formal as it once was, but once you're out on the course, it's still just you and the holes.

The dining room was a let down -- the menu is very simliar to how it used to be, but the quality wasn't there. Small Digby Scallops (used to be the size of hockey pucks), overcooked sides, and high prices that just don't align with the food anymore. Also, there was NO attention to detail. Years ago, the mai·tre d' (Mr. Hines? Mr. Hunt? -- I'm sure one of the loyalists would know) would insist his staff made things perfect, from the tables to the presentation, to the room itself -- many times diners would witness a table being reset because it wasn't perfect. Not now -- lapshades on the lights were crooked, silverware thrown on the table, and staff resetting the tables for breakfast while dinner diners were still eating.

Truth is, I'll always keep going, but I'll think back to how things used to be... not what I see today. Hopefully, the Pines will one day be purchased by an owner who cares enough to bring back the tradition and bring her back to her old glory.

Room Tip: 1 - Get a cabin in the lower lawn - closer to the pool/spa/tennis courts, and close to the main buil...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We're happy you enjoyed many of the upgrades around the property and our AVEDA concept spa. Our sincerest apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. We want to assure you that this is not a typical Digby Pines experience and we would love to welcome you back for an authentic stay.

Rene LeBlanc

Also consider these accommodations in or near Digby
Admiral Digby Inn and Cottages
#1 of 8 in Digby
Harbourview Inn
Harbourview Inn
#2 of 14 in Digby

Been to Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!