Digby Backpackers Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Seawinds Motel(Digby)(Great Value!)
$61
$83
$87
$55
  • Free Internet
Cambridge Suites - Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$163
Hedley House(Smith's Cove)
TripAdvisor
Basinview Motel(Smith's Cove)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsprivate roominteresting peoplecooking facilitiesrabbitplace to staysimple breakfastsun deckother guestshome away from homegreat hostsclaudevolunteershousewashroomnblounge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I've been here in July 2010 already and it was awesome. Now I've returned to this well-kept place and would always return again. Saskia and Claude do their job fantastic and I DO recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank MooseScout
Reviewed October 17, 2010

My stay at Saskia's and Claude's place was just amazing: I intented to stay two nights and ended up staying for six weeks. The things I love about this place is that it feels like staying in a family: there is a kitchen table where everybody meets for breakfast (included in the price), the living room where you can spend the evenings when you are in the mood of meeting other people and a BBQ on the sundeck once in a while.
And of course I shouldn't forget about Toody, the cat of the house :-)
Everything's clean, the rooms are spacious with wooden floors and if you're lucky you get into the dorm where you can see the port with the fishing boats from the window and the sunrise if you're up early enough. There are also rental bikes to discover the lighthouse at Point Prim or to cycle along the old railroad track to Bear River.
In Digby everything and everyone is laid back and friendly. And so is also the Digby Backpackers Inn. And when I return to Nova Scotia this will definetely be the place I will return to. Thanks so much, Saskia and Claude, and see you soon :-)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank luckysunnystar
Reviewed October 14, 2010

This place must be out of compliance for hostel type accomodations. There was only one bathroom with one toilet and shower, for about a dozen guests. They also do not like to turn on the heat. Bed in the private room was lumpy and sagged in the middle. We will never return and do not recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank happyhiker10
Saskia80, Owner at Digby Backpackers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2010

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. We will check our double bed, as we take any complaints into uncomfortable sleeping conditions seriously. We have done our best to invest in good quality mattresses, so we will definitely check. This is a new complaint to us, so we are/were not aware of any issues.
There do seem to be a few misunderstandings though. As for the number of bathrooms: one of our rooms actually has an ensuite bathroom, so it is definitely not 1 bathroom for all guests. I did have a look in our guest records and, if I am correct, I had a total of 6 other guests during your stay - 2 of which were in the room with ensuite. Yes, we are a backpackers hostel, which does mean shared bathrooms and an occasional wait. It is however by far not to the extent that you unfortunately mistakenly assumed.
Finally, I am very sorry if you felt like the heat was not turned up high enough. Our backpackers hostel is located in an older house, so we only have the one central heat setting for the whole house. Since nobody complained we assume all is good, especially since we set the heat to a - usually comfortable - 21 degrees Celcius (70 Fahrenheit). We do always have extra blankets available and a few electric space heaters for the rooms, which we always try to mention to our guests upon check-in. As an extra we have put an electric fireplace in the common area, to further make things comfortable for our guests. I am sorry to find out you were not aware of the extras available to you and do apologize for this.

Reviewed August 28, 2010

What for a wonderful cosy place with great hospitality!!!! I loved this place! There're so many things to see and to do. I would ever recommend this backpacker and had my best time in East Canada here. I got so many amazing hints and information around this area. It was a great pleasure meet saskia and claude.
Thanks!!! for this place and hopefully we'll see each other soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank worldtrip_10
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I stayed here on 3 seperate occasions during a 6 week trip of NOva Scotia for work and leisure and absolutely loved it. Claude and Saskia are really friendly, helpful hosts and great fun.
The backpackers is in a part of Digby that is so peaceful that I slept really well all the time I was there. It is also close to the town centre with some great restaurants, and also it is near enough to walk to the food shops etc. Although during my visit we also got shown the perfect clamming beach and where to get great lobster, both of which were cooked back at the hostel-great company and great food!
It is also the perfect place from which to explore the sights of the area, Annapolis Royal is interesting, Sandy Cove beautiful, and of course a trip down through Digby Neck and Islands to go whale watching from Brier Island. I was fortunate enough to see seals, a harbour porpoise, 5 Humpbacks playing together and then a morther and baby Right Whales during my trip from Brier Island-simply Awesome.
I cant recommend The Digby Backpacker's enough, and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business