“Paradise!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Digby
Graham's Pioneer Retreat
Halifax, NS
“Paradise!!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We (My husband and I) stayed at Graham's Pioneer Retreat July 20-23 and had an amazing time. I totally recommend this private piece of paradise. Our cottage over looked the beautiful St Mary’s Bay and it had a spectacular view with a gazebo. There is a private beach area but I recommend wearing sneakers as it is hard to walk on the rocks. I did attempt to go in the water but it was very cold. I recommend travelling about 5-10min away to sandy cove beach as it has a beautiful sandy beach, but again very cold ocean water. We also had a camp fire all 3 nights located on the beach area. Town of Digby is approx 20 min away and has grocery and liquor store.

If you’re looking for a private get-away away from busy life this is a place for you. Linda and Dave are amazing host’s and helped with any questions that arise. We hope to be back before the summer is over!!! I recommend this place to everyone!!! 10/10

Room Tip: 2 bedroom with large deck and gazebo-"felicity"
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Linda3591, Owner at Graham's Pioneer Retreat, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for taking time from your busy day to comment on your vacation with us. I do wear water socks when I go in the water on our beach. The salt water is hard on sneakers. But for just beach walking sneakers are a must. We appreciate your kind works and hope to see you again before we close in mid Oct.
Your hostess Linda

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bothwell, Ontario
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is our second year at Graham's and again it was fantastic. We brought Rick's sister and niece this year and they loved it as well. Upon arrival Dave remembered we love fish and gave us a bag of fresh caught haddock. It was great. We stayed in Felicity which had all the comforts of home including the deck and gazebo. The weather was good, ony rained the first day and it was cleared up by the time we arrived at the cottage. Sunday Linda knocked on the door and invited us down to the fire on the beach to meet the other occupants of the retreat. Whale watching was once again very good with Mariner's Whale Watching. We are already planning next year. Love Nova Scotia as a whole.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rick_Denise
Linda3591, Owner at Graham's Pioneer Retreat, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I am so glad we didn't disappoint you on your return stay. It is so nice to hear your sister and niece enjoyed their stay as well. The gazebo is a nice add on. You can sit in the sun on the deck or in the shade in the gazebo. The bonfire area is shared by all the cottages but we understand that it makes it nicer is Dave and I do the inviting. We hope your plans for next year include a stay with us again. We would love to see you again. We think Nova Scotia is very special too especially Digby Neck and Islands. The area has so much to offer visitors.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night on June 2012.
The cottage is fully equipped, the gazebo and porch overlooking the ocean, and the peaceful surrounding is perfect for those who want to get away from it all. unfortunately we couldn't stay for more than one night
Perfect for couples or families. good as a base for whale watchig.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oferz
Cortland, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I loved everything about Graham's Pioneer Retreat, starting with the friendly welcome from the owners 2 beautiful dogs. Midnite and Bear would always welcome our return when we had been out for the day, they are such wonderful greeters. Bill and I loved meeting them and having them visit us while we were there. Can't wait to find time to visit again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2012

great for 4 to 6 persons. 2 bedrooms with queen bed and one sofa bed. It have everything you need. 180 degree sea view, sun room with BBQ stove, full kitchen with basic spice (salt and pepper), towel, shampoo, linen (better than some blue mountain charlet coz you have to pay for it). you just need to bring yourself in. Quiet environment, medium high privacy because there are only three properties on the hillside. there is no TV in the room. however, it has all kinds of games, which is great for family interaction. We enjoyed seeing sun rise from the bedroom window. Linda, the owner, is sympathetic and very friendly. We made a mistake with the ferry schedule and she allow us to stay a little bit longer so we have place to stay before another ferry arrived. Also two dogs, Bear and Midnight, are super friendly. When we left the registrition office, Midnight was following our car. I will miss u, Linda, Midnight, and Bear, you little talking devil ^^

Room Tip: read reviews.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Linda3591, Owner at Graham's Pioneer Retreat, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you so much taking the time to let other travels know about you stay. I must say I have been amazed at what some accommodations charge for that we provide free for our guest's comfort. It was our pleasure to be able to allow you extra time (past check out time) at the cottage. Midnight, the Shepard, likes to bark her welcome to our guests and Bear, our Husk, will talk up a storm to our guests. All you have to say is "Talk to me Bear", and he is off. They both love to meet people. We look forward to seeing you again.
Linda
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at Graham’s Pioneer Retreat 2 nights in mid-August 2011, but I am just catching up on my reviews now.
We stayed in the Felicity Cabin with our two daughters, ages 6 and 8. While we stayed in 8 different places for our 10 nights in Nova Scotia, this is the place we loved the best by far. Even now, the girls ask us to go back there all the time. Our biggest mistake was only staying two nights. We should have stayed a lot longer.
It was a long rainy drive from Halifax, and we arrived right as it was getting dark. Linda checked us in and jumped into her car to lead us down the long road to the cabin. Arriving in the dark, in the rain, we had no idea how completely amazing it would be in the morning. The cabin sits high on the hill above the water looking out over the St. Mary’s Bay. There is a nice sandy area above the high tide line where there is a place to build bonfires and relax. There is enough driftwood to do this until the end of time. The beach itself is all rocks, which our girls loved to stack into forts and structures for hours. It was also very fun to explore. The tidal range is enormous- maybe 7 meters, and it’s amazing to watch the shoreline change. The place is remote- really remote- and I don’t think we saw a single boat on the water in our days there. We did see dolphins and seals.
The cabin has lots of space inside and a nice gazebo outside and is very comfortable. The overall setup is very, very smart, with propane-driven hot water, stove, and refrigerator, so you need not run the generator for these. We only ran the generator maybe 30 minutes per day, right around bedtime, just long enough to shower, wash the dishes, and have a little electrical light to put everything away. It also provided enough water into the receiver that we had water throughout the next day for hand-washing and toilet-flushing. While the cabin does not have electricity when the generator is not running, you really do not need it, which was a pretty cool thing to realize. When you do need the generator, you just press a button in the kitchen, so it’s really convenient. The propane-driven heating stove puts out a lot of heat, but we were there in August. We could sometimes just barely hear the generators of the other cabins, but the other folks were all very conscientious, and the nights were extremely quiet. We could not see the other cabins from ours, so it felt very private.
We brought a collapsible cooler full of food, which is definitely a must, as it’s probably a 30 minute drive to Digby for the nearest groceries. That said, food is likely all you will need to bring, as the cabins had everything else we could have needed. We even picked wild blackberries growing near the house as treats.

Room Tip: All the cabins are great
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pete E
Linda3591, Owner at Graham's Pioneer Retreat, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
We love to hear about the children who have stayed with us and found great things to do without watching t.v. or playing video games. The children who found outdoors again and enjoyed being creative. Thank you so much for sharing their experience and yours with us.
We do agree with you, people have no idea how little power they really need. Your family left a much smaller footprint on your vacation here. Feel good knowing you did.
It is so nice to have the blackberries growing beside the cottages. Mother Nature has provided them for our guests. We have had several people comment on having fresh berries for breakfast.
FYI- The little convenience store about a km up the road is now open. It is a much handier place for the necessities.
Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely Linda
Nova Scotia
Reviewed November 28, 2011

After many stays at Graham's Retreat over the years, I stumbled upon these reviews on Trip Advisor. I have never written a review of any place I've visited before, but felt compelled to do so today. The beauty of the location, the well appointed cottages - meticulously clean with everything necessary to make life luxurious and comfortable, even with the "lack" of electricity (the generators more than make up for having no electricity), make this place a piece of Heaven, off the beaten path with views unparalled anywhere else in the world - even from a cruise ship in the Caribbean, Europe, and various southern locales. Add to this, the warm and sincere hospitality of the owners/hosts, and it makes your stay a "home away from home" - I don't know where I've ever felt so welcome..... Imagine my shock when I read the recent review on this resort entitled "The worst customer service I have ever experienced"!! I have to wonder if we are speaking of the same place or the same people!? The dogs are NOT intimidating - they are docile and friendly, (and large animals intimidate me as a rule); and the description of the premises (the office is unkept? - cozy and welcoming maybe - certainly not unkempt). The yard is a combination of tools and equipment used to keep the very long road in pristine condition - always in tip top shape for navigating up and down the mountain! I'm not sure how you can have one without the other. I just felt I had to add my "two cents worth" for anyone else perusing your site who might be put off by the previous review. My humble opinion is "It's a beautiful spot owned and run by beautiful people. What more could anyone ask!?"

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank devling853
Linda3591, Owner at Graham's Pioneer Retreat, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is always so nice to hear what our guests think of the cottages. We strive to make the cottages a "home away from home" for our guests. It is pleasing to hear you put it into words. We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Digby
Admiral Digby Inn and Cottages
Brier Island Lodge
Brier Island Lodge
#1 of 1 in Westport
Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Graham's Pioneer Retreat? Share your experiences!