“Great meal, went back for more”
Review of The Wooden Monkey

The Wooden Monkey
Ranked #11 of 280 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Cuisines: Pizza, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are located on the Dartmouth waterfront. Don't underestimate the power and potential of Nova Scotia on a world stage. We are a casual spot that cares about what they feed their customers. Please don't troll, if you have a beef (vegan/gluten free or not) please contact us via our website Large/private parties we can handle, please contact us in advance, however at our core, we are a 1st come 1st serve kinda place. We will take good care of you and the people you care about.
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We went twice in a two week trip, the food was so good. I had scallops the first time, but tasted the chowder and had it the second. Tasty food, above all. Local and sustainably grown food for most of the menu. The wait staff knows what is in the food, necessary for food allergies. Mostly, just very good food. Lots of local brews, as well, just not my thing.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

There for a light quick business lunch.
My colleague ordered the soup special and was pleased.
I had the lamb-burger & roasties, which is normally my favourite lunch item, but ... I dunno, it wasn't quite up to snuff this time.
I should have started by saying the lamb-burger *tastes* fantastic. But this time, it was small & over-cooked. OK, I could take that. Although I remember the patties being much larger, with a hint of pink. No pink this time.
But the roasties were the disappointment - crisp to the point of being charred. I left a third of them. The ones that weren't cremated had some flavour, but I almost had to peel them to reach the spud.
I kick myself for not sending them back after the first bite. But I didn't want to show up my guest (I had chosen the venue). I did tell our server (after) that I preferred my fries less crispy. My colleague said "It's a matter of taste - I like mine crispy." So maybe it was just me....

So why give four stars? Well, my guest was happy. The service was excellent. I love the location. It's not pricey. Lots of vegan & gluten-free options. And it was quite busy.
But you lose a half-star each for the burger pattie and the fries/roasties.

I'll be back, with a critical eye (and my tongue hanging out) in about two weeks. Here's hoping....

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have discovered this restaurant when visiting Dartmouth. You have a scenic view on the long bridge and the waterfront of Halifax from the opposite side of the water.
The menu list is long and the plates have all a local touch.
Local wines are offered by the glass. In addition, six international wines can also be ordered by the glass.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having food allergies, I try to find restaurants that prepare dishes from scratch so that I can inquire about the ingredients. This was not only the case at the Wooden Monkey, but also the meals were delicious. There are two Wooden Monkey restaurants in the Halifax, Nova Scotia area -- one in Halifax and one across the harbor in Dartmouth. Based in Halifax, we chose to take the ferry ($2.50) over to Dartmouth, where the restaurant is located on the upper floor of the ferry terminal with a great view of the harbor and the Halifax skyline. All four of us agreed that the meals, wine, and service were excellent.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had an excellent meal and after the server came to us with an envelope with a cheque inside which he said was from a regular visitor who left this for the staff to give every week. inside was a cheque for $50 for us to use as we wish. we used it as part of the bill and left more in tip. Very strange.
The view from the restaurant is over the harbour with the ferries coming in and out.