“Scenic lunch spot”

The Wooden Monkey
Ranked #12 of 281 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Cuisines: Pizza, Canadian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are located on the Dartmouth waterfront. Don't underestimate the power and potential of Nova Scotia on a world stage. We are a casual spot that cares about what they feed their customers. Please don't troll, if you have a beef (vegan/gluten free or not) please contact us via our website Large/private parties we can handle, please contact us in advance, however at our core, we are a 1st come 1st serve kinda place. We will take good care of you and the people you care about.
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We took the ferry from Halifax (free on Tuesdays for Seniors, only $2.25 round trip other days) to Alderney Landing. A nice short ride with good view of the city.
We had lunch here and we both had fish and chips. Two nice pieces of fish , coleslaw, good fries and dinner roll for $9. Beautiful setting overlooking the harbor and Halifax in an attractive restaurant with very good service.

1  Thank grandmazany

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had five lunches at the MacAskill's restaurant. I just ordered the daily special which have always been different and tasteful.
The service was tactful and efficient and you eventually have a candy with your bill.
The inside of the restaurant is cozy and quiet. The patio in the summer offers you a beautiful view of the Halifax sea front. Looking at the ferry sailing in the bay eating a pan-fried haddock with a beer, that's the summer in Halifax.
I recommend this restaurant, the best I tried in Halifax.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I would have to say ive been to macaskills quite often for dinner and realized they serve lunch as well...i was excited to give it a try and boy was i dissapointed ...i gave it a second shot just in case they were having a off day but no....The service was great and always is here but my lunches were i hate to say gross. I had a chef inspired sandwich of the day and need i say he was not to inspired in this day ..i can get ham and swiss anywhere pay way less and enjoy,,,,let alone the fries were so greasy and soggy....:( plus we came in round 2 and my husband went to the bathroom and overhearda man in the kitchen loud and clear say that people should go somewheres the f else to eat and not be commin in at 2 to eat ,,,we both felt uncomfortable the rest of the meal..i felt bad for the waitress cause we werent all that pleasant after that ...anyway we wont be after 2 or ever

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Went there with a group and the salmon I had was so over cooked and dry it was tasteless.
the only good thing is the view, everything else is substandard.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

What a great find! I had gone across on the ferry a few times from Dartmouth to Halifax, and saw MacAskill's from the ferry. Sooo glad we went up! I had the filet mignon done medium-rare - tender and delicious. My husbands seafood chowder was excellent - filling and tasty. He also had fish cakes which were very good. Our grand-daughter (whom we were treating to celebrate her gold-medal winning performance at the Canoe/kayak Canadian Nationals in Dartmouth) had a seafood salad which she loved for its variety and flavour. Their dessert sampler had a decadent chocolate cake slice, a slice of delicious cheesecake and some lemon mousse...sooo good! We had a lovely warm evening and sat outside to watch the sun fade from the sky and the lights come up on the Halifax waterfront. It was a great ending to a great day!