“yummy!!!”

John's Lunch
Ranked #7 of 316 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Cuisines: Diner, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: We are a small family-run diner specializing in fresh deep-fried seafood, diner meals, homemade burgers, sandwiches and amazing pizza. Our fish has won "Best In Canada" by Canadian Living Magazine as well as 'Gold Awards' from The Coast Halifax for Best Seafood, Best Fish and Best Diner and multiple tripadvisor "Certificate of Excellence" awards. Come visit the one and only "JOHN'S LUNCH" and be a part of our family!
Reviewed July 12, 2014

If you don't want a fancy interior, but a yummy meal, this is the spot! The Haddock tips are delicious and fresh. I get mine with the coleslaw because the fries are from frozen. That is my only complaint about this restaurant. Fresh hand cut fries would bring it up a notch for me. However, the coleslaw makes up for that in many ways!!! It is vinegar based and nice and fresh. I really like it. The clams and scallops are delicious as well....F.Y.I. The owners here are very nice, and work hard at the business, which is nice to see. Definitely worth many visits!!! You won't be dissatisfied.... Trust me!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were in Dartmouth recently for the Maritime Fiddle Championships where my wife placed 3rd in her class.

In preparation for the trip, I had visited the T. A. site to determine good places to eat.

We went to John's one evening and sat at the counter as all the tables were taken.
What great atmosphere. We were bantering with the cook, waiter and cashier all the time we were there.

The clams and chips were great. Every thing prepared fresh and hot right in front of you.

Next time back to Halifax/Dartmouth we shall be at John's again.

1  Thank Ralph P
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have heard so many wonderful comments and read many details reviews on John's lunch, that we finally decided we would go for take away. I have been in Nova Scotia for 19 years now and this was my first and turns out to be my last visit to John's Lunch.

I ordered the 2 piece fish and chips, he got the clams and chips and 3rd wheel ordered the large poutine. well. needless to say. none of us finished our orders. tossed it all. I still had to cook.

The fish batter was soggy. So were everyone's chips. The poutine gravy was a mix that tasted like a cross between ginger and perfume. terrible. The clams were plentiful but no flavour.

You all can keep your John's Lunch. We will go back to Fran's downtown Dartmouth or Gordies out at Fishman's Boardwalk.

Enough said.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Been here several times when we lived here and decided to go back after hearing about Canadian Living selection as best fish and chips in Canada. The haddock and chips and the clams and chips are still very fresh and really good, although I would say Brit and Chips in Montreal and Barb's Place in Victoria might be a little better in my opinion. The batter was just a tad on the soggy side, but the portions are still very large and the service is as excellent as always, The very friendly waiter and the owner came by multiple times to chat and ask how we were doing. Still very limited seating and extremely busy, so best to plan for takeout and a seat outside or down by the water.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The best clams and chips. This family run operation really knows how to serve up the very best in food and hospitality. When you leave you know you are coming back. We always try to arrive at what we think is a "slow time". They are always busy. They are quick and efficient. You are never waiting long. If the booths are full, sit on the stools. It truly is amazing the orders that are shouted out and they remember them. They work so well together.