“Free Teppanyaki Dinner for your Birthday!”
Review of Hamachi Grill & Sushi House - CLOSED

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Hubby and I visited the Hamachi for my free 4 course Teppanyaki birthday dinner at 5:30 p.m. and were told that we would be the only ones dining at our table. We would get our very own personnel Chef! Our waitress was pleasant and spent some time getting to know us. Very sweet girl; had done some travelling but, I can't recall her name for this review :( Then we met 'Ronald MacDonald' our Chef. He was an absolute riot! He showed off some of his terrific skills with his cooking utensils and then got me to put on a Chef's hat and do a couple of tricks with an egg on the griddle. He was always smiling and we later learned that he lives just up the street from us! Small world. I felt like Queen for a day and can't wait to visit again! Food was FANTASTIC and I couldn't even eat it all. I took dessert home with me for a late night snack! I think it's probably busier later in the evenings. Make sure you get to this restaurant someday soon. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

To begin with we had a reservation for the Teppanyaki meal and when we arrived we ushered to a table to be shared with strangers. When booking the reservation, no one mentioned we would be sharing or I would have declined the reservation. We have been to other Japanese Teppanyaki dinners and have yet had to share, whether here in Canada or in Cyprus or Tenerife or Hawaii. So why would we have to have others join us when there were 5 of us.

The reception from the staff was lukewarm and distant....they were not professionally dressed or groomed for high standard restaurant we were thinking it would be.
The food:
Soup-was just ok and not the most appetizing looking
Salad- was in a bowl with a huge blob of salad dressing which looked like someone’s "left overs". (vomit)
Appetizer we ordered - were ok...dumplings and tempura.
Fried rice cost an extra $3.75 per person-for WHAT? An added (2) fried egg and mixed diced frozen vegetables-ridiculously expensive and to top off this was divided amongst us.
Meat-Chicken was ok-steak was ok-Shrimp-they hadn't counted correctly so we would all have 4 shrimp, BUT the chef only had 19 shrimp and instead of correcting the mistake he simply took one shrimp and cut it up so one person got the tail and the other the front part. We had pointed it out to the chef at the time and he simply laughed and carried on.
Bottom line was - the food was ok but no flavour other than soya sauce flavour and very small portions for the price.
Chef-was not very artistic in his performance and therefore really no show as we have seen elsewhere.
Very disappointed......and would not recommend for anyone to go to it. Cost us over $270 for 5 people....and we are still hungry!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We ate here because someone told me that the Thai food was amazing. It was horrible!!!
My husband and I had Pad Thai (I had shrimp and he had chicken) and there was literally only one (1) shrimp in my meal. The lone shrimp was also very soft and mushy...I almost felt like I was eating left-over food scraped off other people's plates because the veggies and shrimp were so few and it seemed like table scraps. My son ordered the sweet and sour chicken and he didn't like it -- he hardly touched it, and when this happens, I expect the server to ask if there was something wrong with the food (there was -- it was horrible!!!!). The server was disengaged and never even came back to ask us once how our food was. When we asked her questions about the menu her reponse to everything was "I don't know"...it drives me crazy when servers are intimately familiar with the menu and with what is popular, good, etc. We ordered some meatballs as an appetizer and they were as hard as rocks. My other son had the salmon which was good, but his salad looked like it was months old (not at all fresh-looking) and it had a hardened dressing on top that was a very unappetizing colour. $100 for one of the worst meals I have ever had and lousy service. I also asked this restaurant to make a corporate donation to my child's sport fundraising auction and they didn't even respond; so thumbs down for not even having the decency to send a response to an e-mail...you don't have to support your community, but at least have the decency to respond to e-mails from your customers. I had heard so many great things about Hamachi House so was really looking forward to eating there so was very disappointed.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

A girlfriend wanted to go here and invited me. I do a lot of business in this plaza and, for some reason, had never stopped here. Lunch was quite a pleasant surprise. A little pricey for lunch frequently, but nice for a special occasion. Will go again once a year or so.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Excellent authentic Japanese teppanyaki meal free for my birthday. Take all of your friends here when their special day comes! You will absolutely love the choices and the quality of preparation. You probably won't have room for the desert which is unfortunate as it is truly a gem.