“My free dinner for 4 cost me $32 dollars.”
Review of Garden View Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Dartmouth
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch there with my mum about a month earlier and wasn't blown away by the experience. Just for the hell of it I entered a draw for a "free" dinner for four. Well I won. Aside from the lunch I had with mum the previous month I hadn't been to this place since I was a kid. I'm now 41 and this place hadn't changed a bit except that it is a little more run down. There was unfinished repairs to the wall and the floor was all sticky. We ordered our dinner for four combo and made a few substitutions so we expected to pay a little. No one enjoyed their food at all. There wasn't one good comment made on any of it. Usually I like to say at least one positive thing about a meal but in this case I just can't do it. The only thing I added to the meal was wonton soup and some pops which only should have added up to about $15. Somehow the free meal wound up costing $32. I asked why it came to be so much and was told that they have to charge the taxes on what the meal would have costed. I have never heard of charging taxes on a free meal. That's a new one for me. Normally $32 would be a pretty great price for a meal for 4 people but in this case I think I overpayed. Horrible restaurant. I will never go there again.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stopped going to the Garden View quite a few years ago. We had fond memories of the Spring Garden road venue but never found it the same after it's move to Dartmouth, even though we tried it again and again. Today we ventured back hoping for good results since it was obviously still doing business. We arrived at 6:30 on Sunday evening but had to wait for a table to be cleaned and set even though there were only 3 tables of diners amongst a restaurant full of bare tables. Not obviously dirty tables just not set but maybe we were coming at the tail end of a busy day? Every subsequent party was told they would have to wait as well. The server was friendly and took our food order right away but seemed frazzled and forgot my husband has requested an extra egg roll. The chicken balls were the tiniest I've seen lately, the broccoli of my beef and broccoli was tough and chewy. My husband did not like his egg rolls (tastes funny!) even though the beef egg rolls used to be his favorite in all the city. In short, we've had much better Chinese food just about everywhere else. Too bad, I had such high hopes...

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I've eaten at Garden View many times over the past 35 years or so. It has always been consistently OK. Not great. Not horrible. Just OK.

The service is usually good. There's always a place to sit because it's generally dead in there, so you get prompt attention and quick service.

The food as I stated is OK. The eggrolls are passable, but they have some meat paste in them that reminds me of Chef Boyardee. The seem like a frozen variety. The vegetables are cooked well in my experience. The chicken dishes are generally better than the meat. They always heap on the rice, but I find most Chinese food places do because it's cheap.

The prices seem a little high for the quality of the food. The combo plates are $9.99.

The atmosphere is poor. The building is run down. It's in a horrible area of town that houses strip clubs, X-Rated video stores and other low end establishments. The decor has been the same for decades.

Part of the problem is that I think people are starting to eat other, more exotic or flavourful foods, like Thai, Greek, Indian etc.. Chinese food has become "blah".

If you're interested in Chinese food, go over the bridge to Halifax and try Cheelin in the Brewery Market.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I will not be trying this place again.
The beef broccoli was slimy and over cooked.
The House Special pork was tough.
The egg rolls were a horrible meat paste and the plum sauce was even bad.

I'm sticking to Great Wall, the food is much much better :)