“Awful! Will Never Stay Here Again!”

Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Dartmouth
USA/Canada
“Awful! Will Never Stay Here Again!”
Reviewed June 9, 2009

The Super 8 in Dartmouth is ANYTHING but Super, they had the same foods for breakfast every single day we were there, and we were there 5 days! We arrived late on Thursday evening and the girl at the front desk barely paid attention to us, never checked the online reservation paperwork I had on hand and neglected to mention the security deposit required and just put it as a hold on my card. The next day I went to take a shower and there wasn't a drop of hot water to be found, not even in the sink! We complained and nothing was ever done about it, we were blown off completely by the hotel staff and the Manager! The following day we were low on cash and decided to just use my card....well guess what, they had over charged me by well over 200 bucks and I had to argue with the woman at the front desk and the Manager until they basically (after telling me I was WRONG!) admitted I was correct but they couldn't do anything about it until I checked out! All of my funds were tied up! Ridiculous! The beds were harder than rocks and to the day we checked out (complained several times and got different/conflicting stories) we never had hot water, not even to wash our hands.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Nova Scotia
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel about 20 years ago, when it was a long stay suite property that had one problem .... no hot water. Since then it has had a couple of renovations, and a couple of hotel chain ownership changes.

We checked in on a Thursday night, wit our problems starting on Friday with no hot water. I made the hotel staff aware of it and basically got a shrug in response. On Saturday, still no hot water and more complaints that fell on deaf ears. Sunday when I complained (as did about half the people in the hotel, I was told that the maintenamce man was working on it. Talked to the maintenance man who said the problem seems to be fixed and should have hot water. No hot water right up until we checked out on Monday. I complained to the front desk staff with no change in their attitude. I have written the Super 8 to complain and list it here in case that too falls on deaf ears. So if you don't mind cold showers, everything else is fine

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My wife & I stayed here from 4-10 Apr. Our check-in was OK, although we were unable to get a room with a view of Halifax harbour. A sports team was staying in the hotel, so we preferred to avoid them (it was very quiet on our floor). Customer service was quite good with the front desk staff.

Pros: We enjoyed the free micro-fridge, free phone calls, & the rate was very good ($81). The room was very clean: housekeeping was thorough & prompt with delivery of extra blankets, etc. The free continental breakfast was pretty good: cereal (3), waffles, toast (2), fruit (2), bagels (2), yogurt (sometimes), tea biscuits (2), muffins, coffee, tea, decaf, & hot chocolate. The eating area is very spacious with plenty of tables. With the huge bay windows facing the street, it resembled a café.

The room has a very nice décor; however, there was little storage available for our clothing. The TV, micro-fridge, dresser combo unit only had 3 small drawers & there is a medium-sized rack for hanging clothes (no closet). The balcony was nice, although we wished the weather would have been better so we could have used it (it would be great in the summer). The room has a flat-screen TV, a massaging showerhead in the bathroom, & CFL bulbs throughout.

Cons: No fan in the bathroom.

Although the beds looked rather new, the mattresses were very hard. Since my wife has a herniated disc in her back, she always brings foam mattress pads on all our trips. Even with these, the bed was hard. Also, my mattress was rather short; I am only 5’9” but my feet dangled over the end of the bed.

Parking is not free: $7/day. Their underground parking is somewhat narrow so it was tricky to manoeuvre my Chevy Impala rental car through it. The driveway leading to the 2 different parking levels has some larger potholes & although there is no parking outside the doors, several cars from adjacent businesses were often parked there, making it cumbersome to get in & out of the parking garage. Parking is free on the street during the weekend, if you can find a meter.

Overall, it was a pretty good hotel. Although it had some faults, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably-priced room conveniently located in downtown Dartmouth (only 2 blocks from Alderney Landing Ferry to Halifax). With the free amenities, it is a good value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
New Brunswick
Reviewed January 23, 2009

My Truck was broken into...
BAD AREA.

Horrible Parking set up. You Park behind the motel in an Icy parking lot.

Great Room, Clean Comfortable, Big TV.

• Liked — Check in was a breeze
  • Disliked — Poor Parking lot. no security
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Israel
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Great location, large, clean and comfortable room, all necessary amenities, good breakfast, helpfull staff - and a relative low price. What else can you expect?

• Liked — location, nice room,
  • Disliked — Charge for underground parking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Maritimes
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Great Location! Breakfast was included, but not a lot of choices. The room was alright, except our coffee maker was defected. It almost caught on fire, luckily we weren't in the shower, we stopped it in time. the ground on the plug was melted and jammed in the power bar. there was lots of smoke in our room.

• Liked — close to ferrry
  • Disliked — appliance safety
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New Brunswick
Reviewed August 4, 2008

If you value location over customer service, than the Super 8 Darthmouth would be a fine choice. Located only a two minute walk from the ferry terminal to downtown Halifax, this hotel provide a reasonable place to lay your head at a decent price.
It does lack somewhat in customer service though. They appear to be understaffed and the staff that they do have do not have the typical patience and commitment to customer care that most hotels have. Many also did not seem knowledgeable about their own special packages. We had booked a "gas and go" package which was supposed to provide us with a $20 gas card. We only received one for $10 and had to go through a bit of a hassle and a lot of explaining to the frazzled manager on duty to get the correct amount.

With that said, we had stayed here before when it was a Howard Johnsons, and there have been many aesthetic improvements, though it appears that many of the fixtures (shower, tub, door frames, etc), haven't not be renovated. The beds are comfortable and the flat screen tv, microwave, and mini fridge are all nice features.

If you're looking for a place to crash at the end of the night close to downtown without spending $200 +, this would be a great stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking is a little frightful, and the advertised 'hot' breakfast leaves a lot to be desire... how hard is it to keep the coffee urns filled?
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Dartmouth Centre
Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#5 of 10 in Dartmouth

Been to Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel? Share your experiences!