“Good value”

Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is my second time staying here and both times were great. Granted it's not the newest but the rooms have always been very clean and comes equipped with all that I need. We've always had great, friendly staff to help us with questions. I've stayed here using discounts and for that price it is worth it. I like a softer mattress and I find these ones too hard. The free continental breakfast is satisfying and parking is only $6.00 which is cheap as Halifax hotels usually charge $20.00. We enjoyed our private balcony when we stayed this past fall. Just a few minutes to walk to the ferry to get to Halifax and the Casino and took a cab back which wasn't pricey either. Not far to drive to Dartmouth Crossing and MicMac mall. I will stay here again if I get more discounted tickets.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
BrianGM, General Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hello PCBabe and thanks so much for your recent review of our hotel.
I'm happy to hear that our location provided quick and easy access to the places you needed to be in our wonderful city. We believe there is no greater value than staying downtown on the Dartmouth side!
We would love to welcome you back anytime.
Warm regards, Janet Toner, General Manager - Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We wanted a comfortable place to stay near Halifax. The Dartmouth Oceanview was great! The suite was large, clean and very comfortable. We were able to stand on the balcony and see the bridge to Halifax. Breakfast was quick and easy. The location is in the midst of Downtown Dartmouth but right off a main thoroughfare and minutes to Halifax. We did drive by it the first time as it was dark and it does not seem like a place a hotel would suddenly be despite the GPS yelling at us that this was the address! Staff was professional and friendly. Would certainly stay there again and again!

Room Tip: If you need a place to sleep and be comfortable, this is a great option. The suite was large and pro...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
BrianGM, General Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Hi Lisa

Thank you for staying with us recently, and for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit. I am thrilled to hear it was a great stay.
Many guests tell us that because the hotel is located within a block of the Halifax ferry they love our location for the convenience. I will share with our team your great feedback on our service and your overall room impression. We are all committed to ensuring our guest have an exceptional stay and a great nights rest! We hope to see you again soon. Janet Toner, General Manager Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel, and while it wasn't a five star, we didn't pay or expect a five star. The staff were friendly and the place was clean. Heat was a little iffy (heater in the room), however it was so close to the ferry we were able to leave the car and walk.

Recommended for people looking for a bed in a friendly place and not much more.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianGM, General Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear mcmils2005

We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team is committed to providing our guests with a 5-star level of service at that very affordable 3-star price. Many guests tell us, after their stay, that being so close to the ferry terminal was a definite plus! Thank you for the feedback on your heating concerns. We will have maintenance address it immediately. Winter is here and we place guest comfort at the top of our priority list. Thanks so much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon. Janet Toner; General Manager, Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Staff very friendly some rooms need refurbishment, think some are in progress of having
Public area not that welcoming
Continental breakfast very good lots of choice
Pretty good ovation for ferry, which at 3 dollars return is very good value also covers buses

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear flynnheat86

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for staying with us on your trip to the Halifax area. As a new GM I am so pleased to hear you found our staff very friendly. Having a team that is dedicated to an overall exceptional guest experience is one of the reasons I love working here. It is true, we are working on some room conversions. We have newly installed kitchenettes for travelers who are looking for added convenience. Our property has also just launched it's new brand ( Dartmouth Oceanview) and we anticipate many exciting changes in the future. One thing that won't change is our outstanding view of the Halifax skyline and our convenient location to the ferry that takes you there! We hope you'll visit us again soon. Janet Toner, General Manager, Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on Sept 21,2013. First time at this location as it was close to a Wedding Reception we were attending. Some comments...Reception staff must of been under some stress it appeared were having dispute between themselves about some reservation in front of app 6 customers,not the way to make a "good first impression". our room was spacious and clean,hotel is dated. We were trying to meet up with friends staying at the hotel but were told by front recption staff that they hadn't booked in yet or that they were on a cordless phone and not able to help us at this time.We found out this was also told to many customers in our group when in fact, all of us were checked in! After a few hours we did all connect but with no help from the staff. I observed the older front counter attendant being rude to a customer when asked to repeat the directions to the off-site parking lot. with words like 'Listen to me!..drive down to stop sign etc" not a good impression.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear 55TomS123

Thank you for your review of our property and for staying with us for the wedding reception you attended in September. My apologies that you experienced service levels that were below our standards. It doesn't seem like we made a very good first impression. I understand that there were many guests staying with us that evening for the wedding reception. Upon reflection it appears we could have done a better job by having a few more people here to assist with their check-ins. When many guests arrive around the same time, a few extra sets of hands can make all the difference. I do hope you were able to enjoy the event, despite your check-in experience. As a team, we have reviewed the details of that night, in an effort to ensure we stay focused on providing an exceptional level of service to all our guests. If you are in the area again please contact me personally before you arrive and I'll do what I can to make your stay exceptional. Janet Toner, General Manager, Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Room was booked 3 months ago we get there no room was held for us, we went up to our smoking room on the 7th floor and there was a drunk party going on with most doors open, went to get another room and nothing was available but a non smoking room so we took it, the 2 front desk clerks promptly accommodated us with a great view and with a discount for our inconvenience, I applaud the 2 clerks efforts and they bent over backwards for us. As for the unit itself? Well its no grand hall but its an ok place to stay since the owner of the franchise needs to seriously update the rooms. Went to have a shower and the white nicely folded towels were looking like they were dragged on the floor with dirty spots all over all the bath towels and had to use a hand towel to dry off from our shower.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We apologize for any issues you experienced during your stay with us, but I am glad to hear the staff responded to your concerns. We are currently in the process of upgrading many of our rooms and would be happy to have the opportunity to show these to you if you have the opportunity to return.

Best Regards,
Chantale - Guest Service Manager, Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this location the last weekend of July 2013 while travelling for business in the Dartmouth area. I got an online deal through Expedia Unpublished Rates. It's an old structure and recently changed ownership from the Super 8 chain. You won't be blown away when you walk into the lobby. Everything is pretty much average, old carpets, dark rooms, peeling paint on bathroom ceilings.The whole structure requires modern updating from carpets, paint, to furniture. My room was on the 3rd floor and they seemed to be switching out the desks, there was furniture all over the hallway, a good sign that new ownership has started the process of modernizing the facility, but not so good that you are almost tripping over the furniture while trying to get to your room. They should have kept it in storage until they were ready to actually place it in the rooms.

At check in, they was no-one at the desk right away, but the clerk came out after a minute or two. The room itself was just average, the beds were average and I had an average sleep. The TV would not work, I could get sound but no picture. I inquired with the front desk about the issue and the clerk told me to unplug the TV and then plug it back in. The trick worked, but I'm a big strong guy and I had to put some muscle into moving the desk out from the wall to access the TV plug. This wouldn't be practical for a 5'2" mother with young children, the guests should not have to move furniture to repair an issue with the electronics.

The free breakfast is very basic. They do have underground parking, but if you own anything bigger than a 1/4 ton you will have to park in the very small dirt parking lot around the corner. The parking there is very tight, if someone parks too close you may not be able to pull out in the morning. They do have video surveillance keeping on eye on the outdoor parking. The hotel is close to the ferry and downtown Dartmouth. Across the street from the lobby on the opposite corner is a large church, and at the back of the hotel there is a funeral parlor attached; it would be a great location to take care of all your heavenly needs. I am not very fussy and often book unpublished rates online to save myself or my company a few dollars on stays that are less than 3 nights. I don't mind staying at locations that are less than luxury, however, I would not book a 2 week vacation here or pay the full rate. If you get an online deal for this location you will have an average experience. I would stay here in the future for a night or two if travelling in the Dartmouth area. It will be interesting to see where the vision the new ownership has for this location will take the facility in the future.

Room Tip: Shop for an online deal, don't pay the full rate!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay with us. We are in the midst of updating many of our rooms, I apologize for the debris remaining in the hallway during your visit. Our guests safety is of concern to us, as the construction has continued we have ensured all materials have remained in guest rooms.
I am glad you enjoyed the convenient location, with the ferry very close by.
We do look forward to welcoming you back again. We are in the process of converting some of our rooms to an extended stay model, with kitchenette units including a stovetop, sink, fridge and microwave, which would work quite well on a 2 week stay.
Best Regards - Chantale, Guest Service Manager