“OK place”

Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This place gets 3 stars because it really was a good deal relative to the rest of Halifax. But it was kind of a strange hotel and I wouldn't recommend it unless it's cheap. The front desk people hang out in the back office and only come out when it's clear that a guest needs help. One of the women we dealt with was pretty rude and the other was slow to check us in due to lack of training on their new computer systems. The room itself is fine (and clean) but small with an odd layout that made it difficult to move around. Also, not a fan of the neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex S

Reviewed June 15, 2013

So my friends and I booked this hotel for the night thinking it would be a great stay...were we ever wrong!!!!! We arrived to the hotel around supper time, excited because we were going out and looking forward to our stay. I go to check in and there was no one at the desk. The voice comes from the back office.."Hello" she says. (you would think she would be at the desk waiting to check people in not sitting in the back office) I told her I was here to check in and she asked for my name. I told her who I was and that I wanted to pay cash for the room. She replied..uh ok. I told her I would pay by cash and leave the incidentals on my credit card. She then informed me that it would be a $150.00 authorization per room... are you kidding me!!!!!! I work at a hotel which is more upscale then this and we only take 75.00 as a deposit. (having stayed at other hotels this 150.00 is way more then needed for a hotel at such a low scale) Once we get the money situation over with she makes the room keys and my friends head up to the room, as I wait to get my bill. One of the girls comes down to the desk saying the key does not work. The front desk agent tells her it must not be activated yet it takes time. (I'm sorry but once you make a key it should work, there is no waiting) My friend and I go up to the room and once again the key does not work...So we wait a few moments like the oh so kind lady said. This is now going on 10 minutes trying to get into our second room. One of the girls goes back downstairs because at this point we are very frustrated and not happy. We have places we need to be. When she gets to the desk. The "very kind" agent says patience is a virtue...my friend said to her are you kidding me we have been waiting long enough. The agent says to her again Patience is a virtue. (Im sorry lady but you DO NOT say that to a guest) The oh so kind lady came up to the room after 15 minutes of trying to get in. My friends were sitting on the floor waiting and had opened a drink, the first thing she says is no drinking in the hall...not in a nice way at all. She tries to get the door opened and she herself is having an issue. She pushes on the door and says oh there must be something wrong with the lock. She uses the master key to open it no problem. She then notices that the other room has their door propped open and she says your door needs to be closed.
She honestly was the rudest person I have ever met in my life and she should not be working in this industry. If I said any of this to a guest I would be told to pack my bags and leave. The General Manager will be hearing from me!
oh did i mention one elevator did not work and it didn't seem like they were doing anything to fix it. The ceiling in the room was cracked it was just a terrible hotel!!
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer B
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of issues had during your stay, it gives us the opportunity to see where attention is required. If you would like to further discuss your stay, I look forward to hearing from you directly.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I am currently a guest at the OCEANVIEW HOTEL formerly the Super 8 Dartmouth . My buddy and I upgraded to the Jr. Suite with 2 dbl. beds and separate sitting area . I have stayed at dozens of hotels and A.I. resorts worldwide - many of which were 5 star rated Riu palaces , Sandos, Sandals, H.I's , Breezes and Hilton's etc.. I am on a budget minded holiday and I did hours of research on hotels in the Halifax area prior to booking at the Oceanview Hotel in Dartmouth NS . I have stayed in 4 or 5 two star motels in Bedford NS ( 20 mins from here) and I can honestly say that the Oceanview is by far our best 2 star hotel experience in the Halifax area , in this price range thus far. Yes , I read the "haters" reviews , and I figure the "haters" are either high maint. have bad luck or are wanna-be critics that have no understanding of what a TWO star rated hotel should provide a guest. The positives of this hotel are to name a few - - quick access to downtown Halifax- - private balconies ( our Jr. Suite has a doublewide)- - a kitchenette w/ microwv,fridge,coffee/tea and cocoa maker(replinished daily)- - free cont. breakfast- -underground parking ($6 nt.)- - countless restaurants within 5 min. walk inc. Subway,pizza/donairs and Fran's fish and chip truck which is a must try! ( 300 ft. from main entrance) - - a 3 minute walk to Halifax/Dartmouth fairy terminal. - - excellent house keeping with daily mini soaps,shampoo,conditioner and body lotion. - - a fantastic view of downtown Halifax and the harbourfront. - - all the major banks within a 1 km. walk ( TD,Scotia,RBC etc.) and I could keep adding - but you get the picture. As for the negatives and the haters - ya ,they had some valid points and I respect those opinions and I feel some had very good reasons for being unhappy - - However - - this is a TWO star hotel ! and I know what to expect from a two star all the way up to a five star A.I. resort . Yes , the Oceanview is a bit old and needs to get out of the 70/80's decor - but hell ! I loved the 70's and 80's ! and the Oceanview is all you need in a budget minded,pet friendly and well located hotel very near dwntown Halifax- just remember - expect what you paid for - and the Oceanview will do the job just fine. We have decided to make this our new spot to stay for our trips to Halifax. I was sceptical too ,but I am quite satisfied and will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can - upgrade to the Jr. suite , $20-30 a night. includes separate sitting area ,separated by...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying at the Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel in Dartmouth, NS and taking the time to provide a review of your stay as well as the area. It is nice to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Yikes! In the past hotel was our go-to spot. When I tried to book at the Super 8 I realized they had changed their name to The Oceanview Hotel. Along with the name change to Oceanview the service/quality has dropped immensely. I'm pretty sure our room had fleas...by the bites that were on our bodies and my partner said he actually saw a flea! The TV had no picture and the ceiling was cracked. All of this and the price has more than doubled for a 1 night stay. We enjoyed this hotel for the close proximity to the ferry, our family and for the affordability. Unfortunately based on our past two experiences, we will no longer stay at or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa M

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay with us and letting us know of the areas that need attention. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and do hope that you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Hotel was located near to buses and ferry. The staff were very helpful and I would fully recommend staying here

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jean M
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marilyn S
Chantale N, Guest Relations Manager at Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I did not have a good satisfaction. The hotel is old. Poor breakfast and internet connections. I would not stay in this particular hotel next time i'm in Halifax.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay with us. I will look further into our internet to see if the signal strength is no longer sufficient.

Chantale - Guest Service Manager, Super 8 Dartmouth