“A cozy place to get away from city life”
Review of Ma Belle's Cafe

Ma Belle's Cafe
Ranked #64 of 282 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I don't normally do reviews of places where I live as I feel they should be done by visitors but had to make an exception for this place.

This past Monday I went for breakfast and loved it. It is a gem in our city, it gives the feel of small town charm. The staff greeted me with a very warm welcome and made me feel like a friend not a customer. I ordered the full English breakfast and was very pleased with the speed of service and the food was done to perfection. My coffee cup was never empty which is a huge plus for me. The place has a cottage feel to it which adds to the warmth of the place. I do sales and the owner pointed out that they have a small back room that can be used for privet meetings , which will come in handy for me. Very impressed with this place and I will be back many times and can't wait to try their lunch menu, it looks very appealing.

If you are visiting Halifax, you can take the ferry across to Dartmouth as its only a short walk from the terminal. If you are staying in Dartmouth make sure you stop by, you will be glad you did.

1  Thank Paul F

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Walked by this place while looking for another well-known café, liked the cozy look, and decided to give it a try for a Canadian breakfast. What a treat! The place is often busy and for good reason. Check out their website. I ordered their "Full English" breakfast and although I eat a lot of breakfasts in restaurants, this was one of the best. The poached eggs were perfect, often difficult to get. everything else was very good (the back bacon was a nice touch) and overall it was just excellent. I went back another day to sample their baking and it is great. They also had a lovely "crustless quiche". Well worth the detour and great value. I would become a regular if I lived here. Warning: parking difficult nearby. There is a metered lot on the next street over.

1  Thank George M
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I just stopped in today for a cup of tea while walking about Dartmouth. The display case of goodies at the front door was my downfall and I just had to have the carrot cake. Wow....it was delicious and a large portion. Price was $4.99 but worth it. It is a cozy little spot, as other reviewers have mentioned. I look forward to going for High Tea one afternoon!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went back, a couple months after my first visit. Several of the tables were already occupied, at 4:30pm on a Saturday. Got a pot of tea, which is about $2, and quite good quality tea. The girl who served us was friendly, but not overly attentive; we didn't mind much, as we were happily chatting. I ordered a special, bacon, brie and onion chutney panini, and my friend got a slice of the lemon meringue pie. The panini ($9) was served quickly, and very warm: lots of melted brie, and a great contrast of salty bacon and sweet chutney (wish they had jars for sale!), and came with a homemade, chunky coleslaw. The pie was a decent slice, with good proportions, but looked a touch undercooked (nut runny, but 'soft'), I also think it's a bit overpriced at $5, a little larger slice would've been better. My friend said the taste was fantastic though.
Going to go for breakfast sometime, as it's supposed to be good.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Ma Belle's continues to be a favourite. Service is fast and friendly, Food is excellent. It's a small English Tearoom, but you can get substantial meals. I just wish it were open one hour longer, until 6 p.m. as then I could eat dinner there.

1  Thank Jauntee