“Location, Location”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Antigonish, Canada
“Location, Location”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

My husband had a business meeting at this hotel and had not arranged for accommodation. I was able to secure a room on Priceline, not knowing if we would be staying at this hotel, but it turned out that this was the hotel in the end, so that was convenient.
I have stayed in this hotel in the past. I found that the front desk staff has improved. This being my first experience with Priceline, I wondered if we would be given second class treatment and given a not so great room,but this was certainly not the case. The room that we got was a king size bed, but we thought our son would be staying with us, so I requested two doubles, which was no problem at all. We stayed on a Friday night and I think that there was not many staying that night.
We had a room on the third floor with a lovely view of the bridge and harbour. We enjoyed watching the sunset from our room. Did not eat dinner there, but had a lovely glass of wine at the bar that evening. Bar man very accommodating with good selection of wines.
Room was comfortable, if smallish. The beds were ok, nice pillows. Very clean. Had a little problem regulating the heat.
The next morning we decided to have breakfast at the restaurant. Not being a "breakfast person" usually, I changed my stripes for the day and had an omlette. Very good. My husband ordered a breakfast skillet, and he was happy with it. We sat by large windows overlooking the pool area, which was covered with snow. The light was very nice. Restraunt staff professional and friendly. The only complaint I see come up frequently on Priceline is the charge for parking. There is a ten dollar fee for parking outside that is extra.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Newfoundland
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I didn't actually stay at the hotel but couldn't find the Cafe 101 in the restaurant section. Myself, my husband and my daughter in law visited the restaurant for dinner New Year's Eve. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. The food was fantastic!!!! What I don't understand is why the restaurant wasn't full. From speaking with a few people, I believe if the restaurant was marketed properly, it would be full all the time. From the appetizers to the dessert, everything was great. I even visited the kitchen to compliment the two chefs who were working, Pete and Blair. Excellent job!! The restaurant is a hidden gem and should really be put out there.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We actually stayed at a different hotel in Dartmouth the first night, which we really did not enjoy. After that first night we decided to try and find a different hotel. The Holiday Inn Harbourview made an outstanding first impression over the phone: courteous, friendly, and very service oriented. By 9am(!) we were actually checked into one of their executive suites with balcony and harbourview, making ourselves comfortable.

The good:
The views are stunning, the location is great. Located right next to the bridge it is easy to go into Halifax, or you can just take a bus (the bus terminal is right across the street from the hotel!), or the ferry (a 10 minute walk away). The rooms are light, spacious, and I especially liked the choice of pillows. The desk for computer with plug in for internet was convenient. A nice bonus: you can get complimentary passes for the Dartmouth Sportsplex which is right across the street. During summertime they also have their own outdoor swimming pool, which looked nice but by now is closed for the winter. Plenty of parking available. Service at the reception was simply outstanding: friendly, helpful and fast service. We did not make use of the restaurant so I wouldn't be able to comment on that. During our stay we were not once disturbed by any sounds from adjoining rooms, while they did seem to be occupied. The most noise I heard was 1 door slamming shut out in the hallway.

The not so good:
The bathroom is clean, but could definitely use an update. Compared to the light and spacious room the bathroom felt just that bit cramped and the brown-tinted tiles on the wall did not do much to help. Shower was comfortable though, with nice consistent water temperature and pressure. I did like having the sink apart from the shower: one person can shower while the second person can still see him/herself in the mirror while getting ready. Downside of this: the sink is also separate from the toilet. That means you would need to open the door first to make your way to the sink... Not the best hygienic option and I do hope they actually clean the doorhandle daily?
The other thing that could definitely use updating is the tv. Call me silly, but when I pay anywhere over $100 for a room I kind of expect a nicer tv than the outdated ones they have (no flatscreen, but one of the old type square ones with below average image quality). The image had a green haze over it, even after adjustments made by maintenance. The image was also not extremely sharp, some programs got slightly snowed over.
Finally it would be nice if a small fridge was standard in the room. Currently you can get a small fridge in your room for a surcharge of $15 per night. Since we were trying to save a bit of money and walked to the supermarket just down the street it would have been nice to have a small fridge for the milk etc. instead of filling the ice bucket.

Overall: a good place to stay when in Halifax/Dartmouth for business or pleasure. The complimentary passes to the Dartmouth Sportsplex, its location close to bridge and public transport and the room with balcony and view made this hotel a good option.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
HotelGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
The Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview thanks you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review our property. We are delighted that our front desk staff was able to get you into your room quickly and efficiently and that you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to have you back on your next trip to the Halifax/Dartmouth area.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2010

All of the hotels on the Halifax side were booked, so we stayed at the Holiday Inn Dartmouth. This hotel is clean, conveniently located and well priced at about $100/night. All of the hotels on the Halifax side were close to $200/night.

The staff was friendly and helpful, although I found some of the info they gave regarding the ferry, and some of the local attractions was outdated.

My stay over-all was a good one. If traveling to Halifax, the ferry is only a 10-15 minute walk, or if by car there is a bridge right next to the hotel. There is a grocery store and several fast food restaurants within minutes of the hotel.

The hotel restaurant is pricey, and the food is just ok. My wife had stayed at the same hotel a few years ago, and said that the food at that time was amazing. She was very disappointed that the quality had dropped.

Some complaints included the comfort of the beds. They are very firm. Sometimes the elevators didn't work. The sink is outside of the bathroom, and the counter top wasn't large enough for our toiletries.

Dronfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was very nice. It is 10 mins walk to the Halifax ferry. The room was very nice and clean. Nice bathroom. We ate both nights in the hotel as the last ferry back from Halifax was 6.15 p,m. Both times the meals were excellent. We had the halibut and also the salmon and both were very good. The puddings were amazing! I must comment though that although the breakfasts were good (good buffet choice) the breakfast staff (different to the dinner staff) weren't. One of them was very patronising to the customers. We felt offended by his comments and people on the table next to us felt the same way. We thought the staff should go on a customer care course. Otherwise enjoyed our stay. Nice hotel in good position.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Thank you very much for the constructive comments that you have taken the time to make, we always appreciate all feedback that we receive, so that we may learn where our strengths & weaknesses lie.

I was so pleased to read about your experiences in Cafe 101 each evening, we are very proud of the food that we serve, and I was happy to see that you enjoyed your room. I have used your feedback, in relation to the unfortunate incident with the staff member constructively, and have ensured that he is made aware of the effect that his demeanour may have on our guests, and shall be using this as a great example for future training.

Many thanks again for your positive feedback, and we all hope to see you back in Nova Scotia and Canada again soon!
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I made low ball bid (little less than 1/2) Then paid $25 for upgrade. Harbour view,pool view,balcony,micro,fridge,exec floor. Small gym, so,so restaurant, Rated excelent overall
Hurricane cat 1 shook glass doors, I grew up in Miami and live in Ft. Laud, so barely fazed by cat. 1.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
Many thanks for your kind comments and your excellent rating, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay despite Hurricane Earl doing its best to ruin it for you; This weekend was indeed a challenge for the hotel, as storms such as these can be distressing for our guests, but we always strive to manage them in order to make our guests as comfortable as possible.

Thank you again for taking time to review our hotel, and we hope to see you in Nova Scotia again before too long!
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I would recommend this hotel as it is very close to the bridge to Halifax and the ferry terminal to Halifax. The price was cheapest on Expedia so we wound up getting a good price. The hotel restaurant, Cafe 101, was VERY good. My only complaint would be the noise. The sound from the hallway travelled and you could hear every door open, every person walk by, etc.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are always pleased to receive such great feedback from our guests.

I was delighted that you enjoyed the hotels facilities, and that you were able to secure such value for money. I have discussed your comments regarding noise with our engineers, so that they may develop an action plan to reduce this problem for future guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Downtown Halifax
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview? Share your experiences!