“Happy with My December Visit”

Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
“Happy with My December Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I just finished a 4 day business trip at this hotel and I thought that I'd pass along my thoughts as I sifted through the first 10 pages of reviews when I first arrived. My background: I am on the road 1-2 times a month with work or pleasure, so I visit quite a few different hotels. I have grown quite fond of the Holiday Inn Express line of hotels that seem to be cropping up everywhere in Canada/US. Many of them are new, most have free parking, wi-fi and an indoor pool, which I really like. My thoughts on this one are as follows:

The Property: pretty good location, but not the best. Kind of sketchy neighbourhood. I took the ferry and the bridge across to Halifax on foot. Both provided some decent exercise. Speaking of which, my package included passess to th recreation center across the street; which has a big gym, racquet sports and a big pool. That place has facilities that feel a little dated, but they offer allot - worth checking out. I needed to request a day pass at the front desk for each day that I wanted to go. Fairly good amenities in the area - like fast food, groceries, gas. The hotel itself looks pretty nice, on the outside. The lobby is also very nice. Parking was included in my package.Overall 3.5/5.

The room: although amenities and housekeeping were excellent, the LCD screen was nice, although the wi-fi was great and the room view was excellent (I had to specifically ASK for a harbour view, otherwise, they had me on the other side), even after all of those positives, the room felt dated. The carpet and the wallpaper seemed old, the shower/tub felt cramped and the bath and sink being in two different rooms served no purpose for me personally. In fact, it felt a little annoying. The worst part of my room was the fact that I could hear everything (use your imagination... everything) next door and hallway noise was heard as well. Luckily, there wasn't anything to complain about as everyone seemed to retire at a decent hour. Overall 3/5

The Breakfast at Pub 101. My package included 4 free breakfasts at the restaurant on the main floor. The front desk gave me passes when I checked in. Expected was a buffet every morning; which occurred every day but one. The second day, the breakfast was from their menu; which was adequate, but I certainly preferred the buffet. The buffet is a great value. The restaurant was not very busy. The staff was very attentive to my needs and very professional. The food was very good. Fresh fruit bowl was my favorite. They gave me a small pot of coffee along with a cup and lid to go. I didn't eat at the restaurant for anything other than breakfast, so I can't comment on anything else. I did have soup and sandwich at the mini-cafeteria which is located in the attached office building. It was nothing special, but decent enough (located near the front desk entrance of hotel). Breakfast = 4.5/5.

Overall my rating of this hotel is a solid 4 out of 5. I would probably return, need be.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Melissa B
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience and I am happy you enjoyed your time with us. We continue to update our property and have made some great strides to further improve and serve the needs of our guests; the LCD televisions and complimentary wireless internet that you mentioned being two of our more recent additions. Our location provides us with a unique opportunity to offer our guests the conveniences awarded with being close to facilities like the Dartmouth Sportsplex and ease of access to the culturally rich Halifax Waterfront through the Halifax Ferry terminal just a short walk away.

It’s great to hear of our guests having enjoyed the services we provide. I agree; the breakfast buffet is an excellent offering; coupled with our warm and welcoming service team, Café 101 provides a great dining experience within the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Halifax area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Dartmouth, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nice menu and well presented dishes. Service was friendly and attentive. Atmosphere is typical for a hotel chain and a little dark and drabby. Appetizers were great but entree was okay. Not priced too high. Parking may be in issue if out on a busier night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KR_Packwood
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am happy to see you enjoyed your dinning experience at Cafe 101, we have phi-nominal servers and a wonderfully talented culinary team.
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Holiday Inn sits beside the MacDonald's Bridge in Halifax and has amazing views of the harbour and the city of Halifax. If you time it right you can watch the Canada Day or Natal Day fireworks from your hotel window. The rooms are clean and the service is very polite. I highly recommend the hotel restaurant for a quick drink or a good meal. The drinks are between $5-8 and their lunch and dinner menus have something for everyone. You get a complimentary pass to the Dartmouth Sportsplex which boasts more than just their exterior hotel pool, it has an ice rink, full gym, squash courts, running track and a bunch of drop in classes. Good value for your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sunshinejaye
Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with other travelers, you are right we do have some of the best views of the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is one of the most dated Holiday Inns I've ever stayed at. The walls are very thin and sound travels easily through them. The location isn't great if you're touring, and you have to pay for parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James B
I am sorry to see that you felt our property is dated and we failed to meet your expectation of product. We have gone through the strict brand relaunch process and have updated a number of areas through out the property over the last couple years.

I would be happy to discuss your stay with you please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Dartmouth hotels

Pictou, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Check-in went well the waterview rooms have a wonderful view of halifax.The beds are very comfy and rooms are decorated modern.The bathrooms are a bit out dated but clean.There are not any bars or places to have drinks with-in walking distance,dollar store etc are across the street.
My only complaint about this property was breakfast in the morning.There seemed to be only 2 servers working and there were not any plates or food in the buffet.We waited about 10 mins some food came out.The person waiting on us never did come with our forks and spoons.
Over all the price is right and parking is free and you are right beside the bridge to get into Halifax!! Enjoy

Room Tip: Ask for waterview
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NSAdventureSeekers
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with others and I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay and the great views of Halifax we offer.

I would like to apologize for the unacceptable service experience you had while dining in the restaurant for breakfast. I have shared your comments with both our kitchen and restaurant teams to ensure this type of situation does not happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Harbourview. Check in was fine, despite the agent being new on the job. I was somewhat disappointed that the lounge was closed at 9:30, but it was a Sunday night.

The lobby and common area was nicely decorated and obviously newly renovated. The two bed room was a little tired, but spotlessly clean. The bathroom is dated, but well maintained and everything functioned fine.

Donnie at the breakfast lounge was very friendly and helpful. Overall good value and I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gnatsum
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with others, I will pass along your comments to Donnie in the restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

The location kills it a bit. Halifax and Dartmouth is small enough that nowhere is really too far to drive but that means you still need to drive (or bus because it's right across the street from the depot) to anywhere you want to go. Typical rooms, good breakfasts which they seem to give out for free even if you aren't entitled to them, tiny pool and fitness centre.

Room Tip: Halifax side or facing the bridge for pretty views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim N
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, your right the city is small enough that really no where is too far …. You can pretty much get anywhere in Halifax/Dartmouth with in 15 minutes.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview? Share your experiences!