“Gorgeous Views, great restuarant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview

Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
“Gorgeous Views, great restuarant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Holiday Inn sits beside the MacDonald's Bridge in Halifax and has amazing views of the harbour and the city of Halifax. If you time it right you can watch the Canada Day or Natal Day fireworks from your hotel window. The rooms are clean and the service is very polite. I highly recommend the hotel restaurant for a quick drink or a good meal. The drinks are between $5-8 and their lunch and dinner menus have something for everyone. You get a complimentary pass to the Dartmouth Sportsplex which boasts more than just their exterior hotel pool, it has an ice rink, full gym, squash courts, running track and a bunch of drop in classes. Good value for your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sunshinejaye
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with other travelers, you are right we do have some of the best views of the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is one of the most dated Holiday Inns I've ever stayed at. The walls are very thin and sound travels easily through them. The location isn't great if you're touring, and you have to pay for parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James B
I am sorry to see that you felt our property is dated and we failed to meet your expectation of product. We have gone through the strict brand relaunch process and have updated a number of areas through out the property over the last couple years.

I would be happy to discuss your stay with you please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.
Pictou, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Check-in went well the waterview rooms have a wonderful view of halifax.The beds are very comfy and rooms are decorated modern.The bathrooms are a bit out dated but clean.There are not any bars or places to have drinks with-in walking distance,dollar store etc are across the street.
My only complaint about this property was breakfast in the morning.There seemed to be only 2 servers working and there were not any plates or food in the buffet.We waited about 10 mins some food came out.The person waiting on us never did come with our forks and spoons.
Over all the price is right and parking is free and you are right beside the bridge to get into Halifax!! Enjoy

Room Tip: Ask for waterview
1 Thank NSAdventureSeekers
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with others and I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay and the great views of Halifax we offer.

I would like to apologize for the unacceptable service experience you had while dining in the restaurant for breakfast. I have shared your comments with both our kitchen and restaurant teams to ensure this type of situation does not happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Harbourview. Check in was fine, despite the agent being new on the job. I was somewhat disappointed that the lounge was closed at 9:30, but it was a Sunday night.

The lobby and common area was nicely decorated and obviously newly renovated. The two bed room was a little tired, but spotlessly clean. The bathroom is dated, but well maintained and everything functioned fine.

Donnie at the breakfast lounge was very friendly and helpful. Overall good value and I would stay again.

1 Thank Gnatsum
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with others, I will pass along your comments to Donnie in the restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

The location kills it a bit. Halifax and Dartmouth is small enough that nowhere is really too far to drive but that means you still need to drive (or bus because it's right across the street from the depot) to anywhere you want to go. Typical rooms, good breakfasts which they seem to give out for free even if you aren't entitled to them, tiny pool and fitness centre.

Room Tip: Halifax side or facing the bridge for pretty views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim N
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, your right the city is small enough that really no where is too far …. You can pretty much get anywhere in Halifax/Dartmouth with in 15 minutes.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel. I had booked a balcony room, however they were very busy and the best I could do was a second floor room. From the second floor there really wasn't a view other than the swimming pool. The room was clean and very pleasant. It is within walking distance to the ferry to Halifax and it was very convenient to visit the harbour and the Citadel. There are a number of eating establishments within walking distance of the hotel. I would certainly return -

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with other travelers, you are correct our location is very convenient to access both sides of our historic Halifax Harbour.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
New Brunswick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Harbourview, Dartmouth, for a work related function. Check-in was quick and painless, and we were given a room on the third floor. The two lobby elevators were painfully slow, so slow that we finally went back to the main desk to ask if the elevators were working. They informed us that they were just slow, and after several minutes one of the elevator doors did open, although not the one that was lit up as being at the lobby level for the past 5 minutes. The hallway carpet was loose and rippled, easy to trip. I am sure some of the rooms have been renovated, but my room was not. It had the most claustrophobic bathroom I have ever seen. The sink was in an alcove outside of the main bathroom with the toilet and shower in a seperate room. The bathroom was small enough that I could sit on the toilet and touch all the walls, and it was full of mold, around the door, on the ceilings, in the crevices surrounding the tile. I went to remove the plastic tub mat from the shower floor (because they gross me out) and then I knew why it was left down, to cover the fact that the first layer of enamel was worn off the tub. There was, what looked liked, a dried chunk of blood wiped on the wall by the sink. It was at eye level, so I don't know how it was missed by the cleaning staff. And finally, when I went to have a shower the next morning I noticed that the toilet seat was soaked with water. The vent above the toilet was dripping with water. You could not even use the toilet or you would have been dripped on by the steady stream of condensation. It had not been doing that the evening before or through the night, which made me wonder if it wasn't due to the fact everyone was showering in the morning causing steam in all the vents. I put a towel over the toilet once I noticed the water, and it was soaked within an hour. I did mention this to the front desk when I checked out, all they did was ask me again what room I was in, no apology for the fact that I could not even use the bathroom the rest of the morning.
There is very little good to say about this hotel, however, I ordered room service when I arrived and it was very fast (although I ordered the chocolate molten cake and it had a "musty" taste, as if the flour was old) and I also dined in at the restaurant the next day. The service was again fast and the waitress was very friendly. They had Bath and Body works amenities and the bedding was very nice, but this has more to do with the Holiday Inn chain rather than the hotel itself.
I would never pay to stay here again, I would rather stay in a less convenient location and not be disgusted by my accommodations.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Travel_fiend45
I am really sorry to hear about your negative experience, I would like to discuss your stay with you and would like to offer you a return visit on us to show you that the calamity of errors you experienced was certainly an isolated incident.

Please contact me directly at the hotel so that we can speak further.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada
Atlantica Hotel Halifax
#19 of 28 in Halifax
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview? Share your experiences!