“Unimpressed”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
New Brunswick
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Harbourview, Dartmouth, for a work related function. Check-in was quick and painless, and we were given a room on the third floor. The two lobby elevators were painfully slow, so slow that we finally went back to the main desk to ask if the elevators were working. They informed us that they were just slow, and after several minutes one of the elevator doors did open, although not the one that was lit up as being at the lobby level for the past 5 minutes. The hallway carpet was loose and rippled, easy to trip. I am sure some of the rooms have been renovated, but my room was not. It had the most claustrophobic bathroom I have ever seen. The sink was in an alcove outside of the main bathroom with the toilet and shower in a seperate room. The bathroom was small enough that I could sit on the toilet and touch all the walls, and it was full of mold, around the door, on the ceilings, in the crevices surrounding the tile. I went to remove the plastic tub mat from the shower floor (because they gross me out) and then I knew why it was left down, to cover the fact that the first layer of enamel was worn off the tub. There was, what looked liked, a dried chunk of blood wiped on the wall by the sink. It was at eye level, so I don't know how it was missed by the cleaning staff. And finally, when I went to have a shower the next morning I noticed that the toilet seat was soaked with water. The vent above the toilet was dripping with water. You could not even use the toilet or you would have been dripped on by the steady stream of condensation. It had not been doing that the evening before or through the night, which made me wonder if it wasn't due to the fact everyone was showering in the morning causing steam in all the vents. I put a towel over the toilet once I noticed the water, and it was soaked within an hour. I did mention this to the front desk when I checked out, all they did was ask me again what room I was in, no apology for the fact that I could not even use the bathroom the rest of the morning.
There is very little good to say about this hotel, however, I ordered room service when I arrived and it was very fast (although I ordered the chocolate molten cake and it had a "musty" taste, as if the flour was old) and I also dined in at the restaurant the next day. The service was again fast and the waitress was very friendly. They had Bath and Body works amenities and the bedding was very nice, but this has more to do with the Holiday Inn chain rather than the hotel itself.
I would never pay to stay here again, I would rather stay in a less convenient location and not be disgusted by my accommodations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Travel_fiend45
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I am really sorry to hear about your negative experience, I would like to discuss your stay with you and would like to offer you a return visit on us to show you that the calamity of errors you experienced was certainly an isolated incident.

Please contact me directly at the hotel so that we can speak further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sandusky
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with a tour group. Was initially very impressed with the cleanliness of the room. Went to use the nice glasses on the tray on the air conditioner. Thought how nice and well presented, until I went to use them and found the tray covered with small bugs. But they were upside down so glasses were clean. Suggest they find another spot for the tray and ice bucket. Went to turn on the TV and found it did not work. Top half of the outlet did not work. Switched plugs and it was fine. Staff was courteous and friendly. Room was adequate.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tmterie
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments and feedback, we have spoken with our housekeeping staff and discussed the importance of ensuring that the glasses are on the self on the side table as well with the television being plugged into the correct outlet in the room. One of the wall switches at the entrance door is used for one of the plugs which should have had a lamp plugged into it. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused and my team will use this as a learning experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed Friday and Saturday night in August 2012. Service was excellent from the time we arrived at front desk through to checkout on Sunday! Very courteous, helpful and professional staff. Dining room and food were also excellent. The 6th floor room was lovely with a view over the Harbour. Magnificent!!

• Stayed August 2012
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and other travelers.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

It hardly seems worthwhile to review a Holiday Inn, but I've been in others and this one was different in a couple ways. A good thing: there were lots of pillows, clearly labelled "Firm" and "Soft"! (This was especially important to me because I'd stayed in the newly reno'd Las Vegas Plaza and nearly broke my neck on the high, hard pillows; ended up sleeping on a towel).

Another good thing: though the bathroom was totally old-fashioned, it had one good thing going for it: a tub low enough to step into and out of comfortably, and a strong, heavy bar beside the tub to hold on to. (This was in contrast to glorious bathroom at the Rush Tower in Vegas, where the sides of the tub were thigh-high and there was NOTHING to grab getting in or out; put me in mind of the time I fell on the bar first time I rode a boy's bike; Ow! I was very very careful; couldn't just sit on the edge, because there were shower-door tracks, and couldn't hold on to the shower door because it wasn't solid.)

One strange thing: on the first night, I got cold and called down for a blanket. got warm during the night and tossed the blanket off the bed.....when I got back to my room that next evening, the bed was neatly made, and the blanket was still on the floor! .... Just for fun, I left it there. and it was still on the floor the next night!.... on the 4th day, I found the blanket neatly folded at the foot of the bed.

Another not-good thing: there were always 4 waterglasses covered with white cardboard lids on a tray beside the bed. good. I drink ice-water and night and appreciate having more than 2 glasses in the room. On the 2nd night, I noticed a smear of what looked like mucus on the side of one of the glasses. Ick! I quickly put it to one side, filled a couple others, and went to bed.....the next night, when I went to fill my glasses, I noticed the one with the smear of mucus was among them! ICK again. what was going on? ..... I made a point of looking over the housekeeping cart the next day and didn't see any clean glasses there. What I think is, housekeeping simply rinsed the glasses and put them back. Okay, I guess, but made the "plastic-covered plastic" ones at the Plaza look pretty good.

Tip: wash out your glasses before using them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
I am happy to see that you enjoyed our pillow selection that we provide as well as our low bathtubs and grab bars to assist you in entering and exiting the bath tub / shower.

However I am disappointed with my housekeeping team letting you down. Our Executive Housekeeper will certainly use this situation as a learning opportunity for her team. I can assure you and other travelers that the proper procedure is to have the glasses replaced and washed in our dishwasher.

I am sorry that you had this negative experience with us and hope that you will give us another try the next time you are in the area.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Oh dear, where to start...

We've stayed at Holiday inns before many times and had consistently good sleep and service so we figured this would be good for a late check in and good rest before continuing our vacation. The kind lady at the desk recommended we put our do not disturb sign on the door to avoid being bothered and to get a good sleep and explained the rate and how everything works very well. There are parking charges.. which I am never crazy about. To me parking charges are equivalent to bathroom usage charges. It's almost inevitable that when you occupy a room, a car comes with it... so why charge more? Anyways, we get to our room and the first thing we do is post the do not disturb sign because we knew sleep would be valuable for the long day ahead.

The room was unacceptably dated. the door knobs were old, the bathroom fan cover was just hanging from the ceiling and the one outlet where I decide to plug my phone in did not work (I only found out the next morning) and I ended up starting the day with no phone which I need on many levels, including to navigate the road trip.
For some reason, the person designing the room thought it would be a good idea to have the bathroom sink outside of the bathroom on the opposite side of the room. So picture this, you're done using the toilet and now your hands are presumably dirty, now you need to turn the knob to open the bathroom door and turn off the light with dirty hands and use the sink on the opposite side of the room to clean up. Unless you plan on keeping that door open while you use the toilet, it is a completely unhygienic design no matter how you slice it and not on par with my expectation of a holiday inn. The toilet and shower part of the bathroom split was also very small.

The best part is that at 9:30 am, a housekeeper walks halfway into our room despite the sign, realizes we are asleep and walks out. At this point we are upset, tired, grumpy and not happy at all because we could not go back to sleep. I remembered that holiday inns have this guarantee where every part of the stay will be enjoyable, and if they cant fix something that's wrong, that part will be free (how do you even fairly calculate the price for parts of a stay anyways?), so I went to speak to the manager on duty to maybe find some way to make things better, because sleep at a hotel is a pretty big deal. What do I get? pretty much brushed off and told she would check with the housekeeping staff (...sure) but there was not much she could do. I was absolutely not impressed because she obviously had better sleep than I and did not seem to be bothered, so I left and booked a room for the next night at a comfort hotel in the area (#1 rated in Halifax area too!).

I think the only good part of the stay was the complimentary breakfast at the restaurant on the first floor (cafe 101 if I recall correctly). Although the server was not the best in terms of serving skills, he took very good care of us and his effort to make that part of our stay enjoyable was very evidently there. I wish I remembered his name, but kudos to him.

In conclusion, there may not be much they can do about the layout of the rooms, but service and care to maintenance can certainly improve a lot before I return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for talking the time to write about your experience and I would like to apologize for the negative incidents that occurred during your stay.

I have spoken with my housekeeping and maintenance team and have shared this situation with them and have expressed my disappointment and embarrassment.

I would like to talk with you personally about your experience please feel free to call me directly.

Travelers are raving about these Dartmouth hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This place was not bad. The price was ok and it was walkable to downtown Dartmouth or the ferry to Halifax. The food in the restaurant was surprisingly good and the staff was nice. The room looked dated but was clean. Never made it to the gym, so can't comment on that. If your room is over the banquet hall, the a/c is loud and might keep you up.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for talking the time to share your experience with others.

I am happy that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant; actually our Chef Erwin Palo is the winner of the APEX Chef of the year award for 2012. One of our top sellers is our Seafood Chowder which is absolutely delicious if you did not have it this time it really is a must try the next time you dine with us.
Port Hawkesbury, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is quite nice, however often times it is pricey! Stayed here on business, however I love the location seeing as the city is just on the other side of the bridge and was only a $10 taxi ride. The staff were amazing, very friendly and always willing to help.

I will stay here again, no doubt!

Breakfast & Spa rated average because we did not use either - however I can only assume they're wonderful!

Room Tip: The rooms that face the water/bridge are nice!