“Wonderful lunch on the patio”
Review of Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar - CLOSED

Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Modern contemporary design, at the cross roads of casual and upscale. We are well priced versus our competitive set. Almost nothing is purchased pre-prepared. We make our stocks from scratch. Our Foccacia and Fettuccine are also house made. Chef Stefan is a young, passionate, European trained culinarian. He has worked around the world to hone his craft...Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, the Muskokas and now Dartmouth. He eats, sleeps and breathes food, bringing excitement and a mentoring style to the kitchen. He can get excited about a bunch of kale or a tenderloin...If it is perfect! In his words "you have to respect and honour the food". We are a 4 minute walk from the Halifax ferry on the Dartmouth side of the harbour.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My friend and I discovered Nectar had a courtyard patio so decided to try lunch there.It has a lovely atmosphere with a water feature and flowering plants.
Even though it was busy with a large group,the hostess found us a spot within ten minutes.
Margot was our server and did a wonderful job.The owner made a point to come over and introduce himself.
The food was excellent with lovely presentation.
On a beautiful late summer day it would be difficult to find a better choice for lunch.

1  Thank marie62novascotia
ihurst, Owner at Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you Marie, your comments are appreciated. I have already passed them to Margot and the kitchen, . Margot is a very skilled server who recently our service team from a high end inn and restaurant in southern Ontario.

FYI starting this week at brunch, Chef Jeremy will be making his own jams to replace the little portion jams. He will be doing some quite interesting ones.

Hope to see you back in soon!

Ian & Joelle
Owners

Reviewed September 1, 2012

A girlfriend recommended this one day as it was close to her office. The food is surprising and superb, and the lunch cost is quite reasonable. You *could* leave this place hungry as the portions are a little smaller than most restaurants, but the flavour and service are soooo worth it! First week I was here, I returned two days later to eat with my husband, then 2-3 days later to share with my mother-in-law. And return regularly to meet with my girlfriends. Yum!

ihurst, Owner at Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Just a quick note to say thank you for taking the time comment. My wife and I purchased Nectar in January of this year. We are pleased to hear you loved it so much. I hope to meet you in person soon! Ian

Reviewed August 7, 2012

To be honest, I ate at Nectar shortly after they opened and was not impressed. It took repeated suggestions from my wife to get me to reconsider trying again. I must say I am happy she did.
I enjoyed the ambiance (especially in the booths) the first time and once again that was great.

The menu choice, preparation and presentation were fantastic. Both Lana and I are quite health conscience and have had some recent disappointments (at other restaurants) in the ability to choose menu items without having to dramatically alter them. No issues with your menu (although I cheated a little with the Lobster Bisque, but it was worth it)

Randy was our server and did an outstanding job. His advice on menu choice and wine pairings made for a great meal and his timing between courses was impeccable.

Kudos to you, your Chef and kitchen staff and your front of the house team for delivering a fantastic experience.

Well done and we will be back
Dave & Lana

ihurst, Owner at Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

I just wanted to pass on my thanks for taking the time to comment. The restaurant is now four years old. Joelle and I purchased it in January of this year. I am glad were able to help make a special anniversary evening even more special! Being voted the Best restaurant in Dartmouth four years running is something that we work to justify every single meal. Again thank you, Ian.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Shameless plug: wife found this one for me from home while I was in Nova Scotia on business.

I strolled in about 8pm to an empty bar and about 5 occupied tables in the dining room upstairs. There's a cool, dim, lounge-like atmosphere to the place. I was greeted by a lady whom I assumed was an owner or manager and later was my server. She was friendly but I wouldn't say she made a lot of conversation.

The menu is full of variety, and the report is that they source locally. I ordered the Nova Scotia Scallop dinner and a glass of wine. Bread & oil/balsamic preceeded the meal. Dinner showed up, I destroyed it, and that was my night.

Pros: Food quality was good. I ate things I wouldn't normally eat: swiss chard, a whole carrot that had either been steamed or roasted. There were enough scallops to satisfy, and they were cooked well. The prosciutto-wrapped mashed potatoes stayed in place and were fun to demolish with the crisped onion straws on top.

Cons: I waited 30 minutes for the food. This was almost long enough to memorize the paisley pattern on the walls. Not much conversation from the staff, but this could be understood since they were moderately busy and it was late. Prices may have been a little steep. If they were only a couple of dollars less and the kitchen was quicker, I'd give it a full 5 stars.

Worth going. Bring a date or sit at the bar, it's boring on your own.

ihurst, Owner at Nectar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We strive for excellence and it is great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the evening. On the issue of price...although we are in line with our industry peer group, I wish I could lower them also. We fight the costs every day in an effort to keep pricing at a minimum.

Again thank you, we hope to see you back soon.

Ian
ihurst@hursthospitality.com

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I had looked forward to try this well recommended restaurant and was very disappointed. My dinner of scallops were dry, tasteless and cold. The muscle attachment was still present making a tough chewy bit to contrast with the overcooked scallop proper. The mash potatoes wrapped ham were running, and needed more garlic. The creme brûlée was curdled
The server was not knowledgable about the wines. For example she keep telling us that the McManus petit sryah was awhile wine!
So wine, plate, dessert and tip cost $71 -- not worth it

I apologize for the day in responding. Have been out of email range for the last week.

I am sorry to hear that we were not up to our usual standards in terms of our server knowledge and the food. We do have have a few new servers and it is obvious that the wine training, although extensive, is still lacking. I would like to follow this up personally. If you are able to contact me directly I would appreciate it so that be sure I speak to the correct persons. I will also make Chef Jeremy aware of you comments. He is a very talented Chef and I am not sure why the food quality was not up to snuff.

Again, please feel free to contact me personally.

Ian