Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Halifax, Canada
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while travelling on business, but I know lots of people who have stayed with their families or while travelling with their child's sports team. It's easily accessible from the highway, there is lots of great shopping and a good selection of restaurants nearby, it's a quick and easy drive to the Halifax Harbourfront, and the price is right (especially off-season). The hot buffet breakfast is good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi travellingNSmom -

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Our location is what differentiates us from other hotels in the area and we're happy you enjoyed our convenient location.

We're looking forward to your next visit.
Best wishes,
Rick Norman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I just spent a few nights with my family at this hotel and I am very impressed with the staff at the front desk. Special mention to Olivia for all her help with my arrangements! Everyone was very kind and very helpful and that is why I keep going back there and will continue to when I travel.
Thank You all!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites and sharing your experience with other travelers. We're happy you received friendly service from our staff, specifically Olivia. We'll be sure to share your comments with Olivia.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,
Hillside Boularerie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have stayed here several times and are always very satisfied. Great continental breakfast, with very nice staff. Great location in the Dartmouth Crossing shopping area. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hi Linda R.,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Safe travels,
AvidTraveler57
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here very much! Stayed first for 4 nights, left for Cape Breton, then returned for another 7 nights. Both stays were on the 7th floor, first facing the highway, then the Dartmouth Crossing stores.

Great location for exploring the southern coast area of Nova Scotia and quick drive over McKay Bridge to downtown Halifax.

Our maid was wonderful with the room always cleaned spotless.

Lucked out for July 6th they had fireworks right in front of the Hampton Inn due to them cancelled because of the rain for their Canada Day celebrations. What a treat to just take the elevator down to watch. Could have even stayed in the room and watched if we had wanted.

This hotel has an indoor pool with a slide and it appeared in the elevator many children could not wait to get out of the elevator and to the pool as quickly as possible.

Everyone at the hotel very friendly. Nice convenience to have coffee/tea always available in the lobby whenever you want one. Breakfast good--seems they switch a few days with bacon or different kinds of eggs. Breakfast attendants did a good job of keeping up with the demands of the hotel patrons in the morning.

Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you! We want to extend our appreciation for this great review. We're happy you enjoyed both of your stays during your trip in Nova Scotia. We agree, we have a convenient location to downtown Halifax, Dartmouth Crossing and the Eastern Shore.

We'll be sure to share your comments with our hotel team! We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming back to the Hampton when you return to the area.

Kind regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were only here for one night but the hotel was very nice, clean and a great pool. The room was spacious and quiet. It was conveniently located as we were coming from the Digby ferry and had stopped to tour the maritime museum in Halifax

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NCHR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We take pride in our Maritime hospitality and we're delighted you had an enjoyable experience at our hotel. We want to thank you for writing a review and we hope to welcome you back to Nova Scotia again in the near future.

Best wishes,
Charlottetown, PEI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I am not one to write a negative review unless I feel it is absolutely necessary, in this case, the disappointment, the customer service (or lack thereof) and the overall state of the hotel was too much to ignore.

My disappointment started upon booking, while the reservation clerk was very kind and booked our stay (my second at this establishment), I was asked if I would be interested in hearing about the Hilton Honours, I agreed as I anticipate many more trips to the Halifax area. The appalling service on this transferred call was completely unacceptable. It was not to hear about the program, it was a pressure tactic to book a hotel stay at an international Hilton hotel, was even asked to confirm the reservation with a credit card. When I refused and said thank you for the information but I am not booking and I am not giving a credit card to book a trip that I may not be able to take (in this case it was to a Florida hotel), I heard such lines as do you not trust the Hilton Name, there must be something holding you back, you can cancel if you want and you have 6 months to choose your dates. I told the representative I felt the call was getting to the point of harassing and she was pressuring and she continued that she wanted to know why I couldn't commit I actually hung up the phone. My frustration lead me to send an email to the Hampton Inn in Dartmouth, and I did not even receive an acknowledgement. While I recognize this transferred call was not a staff person of the Dartmouth establishment, I thought the Director of Sales would appreciate knowing this is how customers are treated on the phone when their agents do transfer. This was the first disappointment.

The second disappointment was the overall appearance of the hotel, it is a new hotel and very inviting, however it actually seemed dirty in areas, the elevators, the hall ways with marked walls, the actual room with marks on the wall and rust around the tub. Just didn't feel like a "young" hotel. I was in the area due to medical appointments and was traveling with my mother, husband and young daughter, we chose to get a Queen Suite, which was essentially just one large room, the beds were not overly comfortable and the pillows were very small and hard. We all had an uncomfortable sleep, but the pull out bed took the prize for the worse "bed". My young daughter, all 25 lbs of her, complained that the bed hurt...and she was right, you could feel every single spring and nut and bolt in that bed. We had to take a duvet from the closet and fold it 4 times to have her sleep on it. When she awoke early in the morning and I laid beside her for a few hours, I could barely move getting up. Not a good option if you need this extra bed at all.

And further to this, we returned to the hotel later in the evening and the TV did not work, we called the front desk and someone did come to the room approximately 20 minutes or so later, but ironically, this was my second stay and had the exact same issue on my first visit. Perhaps the hotel staff should check, as I have reviewed other reviews and see others had a similar issue. It is a small frustration, but at the end of the night if you want to relax and watch the news or a show, to have to try to fix the TV for a period of time, then call the front desk who seemed to be use to such a call, it was very aggravating.

Upon check out, my Mother did mention the TV incident to the front desk staff and the girl serving me didn't say much at all, but another worked behind the desk shrugged it off and said, the housekeeping staff knock the TV sometimes. So naturally my mother continued by saying just how odd it was that this was our second stay and had the same issue, the attitude of the staff person was dreadful, she was rude, pretty much dismissed my mothers comment and ignored us. As we walked out, my mother did say it wouldn't happen a third time, because we wouldn't return.

And a quick comment about breakfast, the juice is lovely, but that was about all, the tables were sticky with syrup and I didn't see any staff around while we were there until the end of our drinks and trying out a few items we saw what I assumed was the manager or assistant manager helping out cleaning tables, I'm sure others did, but during our breakfast stay, no one. It was very disappointing and we chose to eat elsewhere.

It is very unfortunate, as the location is ideal, and very beneficial for someone like myself who will be traveling to the area frequently for medical appts, the shops and restaurants are wonderful for an excursion and the hotel is easy to navigate too. I was pleased that the staff accommodated a later check out due to the time of my medical appointment, but sadly, that is my only compliment I can share.

A lost customer!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ParisPEI
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit with us. We're sorry we fell short on your expectations and we want to sincerely apologize for your less than expected Hampton Inn & Suites experience. Our Assistant General Manager, Jason has reached out to you directly via the information on your reservation and we hope to address your concerns.

We hope you'll consider staying with us again.

Until then,
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Excellent facility all around. Clean and quiet rooms, helpful staff, large selection breakfast, lots of parking, a kid friendly pool area. Easy access to transportation routes. An excellent place to stay in Dartmouth.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay! We're happy you enjoyed our clean, spacious guestrooms, breakfast options and convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn & Suites.

Until then,
Rick Norman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Downtown Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax - Dartmouth? Share your experiences!