“Excellent Accommodations and Beautiful Facilities”

Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Dartmouth
Dartmouth, Canada
“Excellent Accommodations and Beautiful Facilities”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The rooms are beautiful, fresh and clean. Very modern and new. The pool was beautiful, the front staff very professional and helpful, and a delicious complimentary breakfast which included waffles, toast, eggs, ham, home fries, cereal, coffee, etc. We were very happy with our stay. No complaints whatsoever!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ettesor68
BWD M, Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Good Day Ettesor68,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us. The staff at the Best Western Plus Dartmouth take a lot of pride in ensuring that the smaller details are never overlooked. Glad to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast which is served every morning in our full service restaurant Trendz. We look forward to seeing you again.

Charlene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel access is overall easy and parking plentiful. Rooms are standard and were clean. Hotel has no hot tub and the fitness center and pool are on separate floors. There is no privacy on pool access as elevator opens beside the restaurant entrance for pool access. There is no other amenities in the immediate area (walking distance) but a decent variety within a 10min or less drive. The hotel does not standout but it is neat clean and easy to get where you may need to be. NOTE if your activities are in Halifax, the bridges are toll.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Robert B
BWD M, Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Good Day Robert B,

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed our guestrooms and our complimentary parking. Our pool is accessible by key access only, so we’re disappointed to hear that this didn’t offer enough privacy for you and your family. Although we are not in walking distance to major attractions, we are conveniently located to Dartmouth Crossing which is a major shopping outlet destination less than a 5 minute drive down the road and Halifax is only minutes away by bridge access for $1. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been a regular for 3 years now. It's the best hotel in Dartmouth for value and service.

The staff is excellent. The Rooms are clean and spacious. 1 year ago they added HD channels in the rooms. The breakfast is great (not that micro-wave stuff they serve at other hotel down the road). The restaurant is a nice place to chill in the evening.

When I read reviews like the previous one. I kind a think to myself how is that possible? I've been staying there for over 3 years and never had any issues...

Anyway, you can stay with confidence and don't forget to try the restaurant. It's really good!

Room Tip: Try the Parlor Suites they are really great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gab521
BWD M, Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Good Day Gab521,

Thank you for being a loyal guest at our hotel. We're pleased to hear that you've enjoyed our transition to offer HD channels, we also offer regular channels and we have an HDMI cable in each room if you have anything you would like to watch from your computer onto the television.

Thank you for complimenting our full service restaurant Trendz which is open all day to our guests and the public. Our Chef even caters all of our weddings and specials events, we would have to agree that the food is amazing!

We always appreciate having you as one of our loyal guests.

Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel was excellent. It literally had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. They have a heated, indoor pool. It is a great accommodation for people who want easy access to Halifax, but do not want to stay within the heart of the city. Our room was HUGE, and we had computer access, too. It is really a terrific value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Day Susan2286,

Thank you for the fabulous review of our hotel. Our guest rooms do offer a lot of space along with a mini-fridge for your convenience. It's great to hear that our business centre was a benefit for you, we also have complimentary wireless internet access in the rooms if you have your personal computer.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend this hotel. I was disappointed with the hotel, especially the poor customer service I received after finding a bug in my room. We booked after seeing the many positive reviews but had a very different experience.

When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk staff while polite, was not welcoming. In fact, I felt like I was imposing on her to check in. The hotel itself has a dark decor and low lightening throughout which did not help.

The cleaning staff were very friendly but this was in contrast to the reception staff and breakfast staff who made me feel like I was imposing on them.

Breakfast was just ok with assorted cereals, juices, fruit, hash browns, scrambled eggs, ham. Again, this was not a welcoming space and felt very tight with the number if guests in the hotel. In our three day stay, I had to for numerous items such as more cutlery, coffee, creamers, napkins, and food item (it is self serve but supplies were not replenished). When I politely pointed out missing items ( ie forks) the staff acted as if I was imposing on their day and that they had better things to do. There was no option to compose or recycle at breakfast. Everything was tossed into the garbage which was disappointing as many hotels recognize the positive or negative impact they can have in the environment.

The Kidney shaped pool is approx 25x12 feet at widest parts. It is 3.5 feet deep at one end and 6 feet at other so not deep enough for diving/jumping if you have older children and there is no slide. There was a very strong chlorine smell caused my kids to cough and burned their eyes. The water itself was quite cool. On a positive note, the pool area is bright with a few loungers that made the space comfortable.

The room was comfortable with nice beds and pillows. However, the very bright lights on the thermostat by the bed were very distracting. We ended up tucking a face cloth to the painting that was hung beside the thermostat to help diminish the bright blue and red lights. Despite two layers of face cloths, the lights were still visible but much dimmer. The BRIGHT light from the alarm clock was also distracting as lit put up the room. To solve this problem, we turned the alarm clock upside down to to dim the light.

On the day of departure, I found a large bug beside the dresser. I went down stairs to advise the front desk and they looked at me blankly like "Ok.... Thanks for letting us know...". As I continued to stand at the desk waiting, they askes if it was a beetle and finally offered to come look at it. I explained that the other adult in the room probably disposed of it as I have an issue with bugs, especially in hotel rooms. There was no apology and no surprise. I suspect it may be a regular event as neither woman seemed alarmed. When I checked out, I was advised that my first night rate had been dropped to the second and third night rate, because of the bug. I would have rather paid the the extra $15 and not have had a bug in my room.

Due to the poor customer service and the large bug, I would NOT return to this hotel. There is another located nearby that is infinity more welcoming and that has an amazing water slide.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Gogojanet
BWDManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Good Day Gogojanet,

I am so sorry that you will not be recommending our hotel. As shown by the many positive comments along with the Certificate of Excellence through Trip Advisor, this is obviously an isolated incident.
Our restaurant does follow all composting and recycling guidelines set by the City of Halifax. These are not mandatory but we do follow them. We have clearly marked bins for Compost, Bottle Recycle, plastics and garbage. I am not sure why you didn't see them but there are two compost centres, one close to the bar and the other at the door.
Although we have a registered exterminator that we use regularly, it is possible for insects to find their way into any building, even our homes, as this one obviously did. I apologize if you felt the staff were not sincere but I am happy to hear that they offered you a discount and that you accepted.

Ron
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We checked in after a long day on the road and were very pleasantly surprised and please from the moment we spoke with the person on the desk.
We were able to request and receive the room of choice and it was wonderful, clean, fresh and quiet. The restaurant is a great place for a wonderful meal.
We just can not say enough positives about the service at the front desk and the restaurant.
The rates are very competitive.
We especially appreciate the no dog policy.

Room Tip: Just ask and you will receive. We had no noise and were ground floor right off the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Day NicheAssociates,

Thank you for the great review. We are so happy that you found us after your long day and that you felt so comfortable. We indeed have a great staff and a fabulous restaurant. We are glad you enjoyed all the comforts that we offer and we hope to see you again soon.

Ron
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very clean hotel. Friendly staff, from Front Desk, to Room attendants. Pool is clean, temperature is wonderful. Breakfast timings are reasonable, however, could stand a little more variety from day to day. All said, I would definitely stay at this location again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Good Day Kratz S,

We're so happy to hear that you'll be returning to stay with us again. Our pool a great place to getaway even if you're on a business trip, our pool is always available to our guests from 6am-11pm. Thank you for all your compliments regarding our staff and hotel appearance, it's always appreciated.

Again thank you very much for your positive review.

Charlene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada
Comfort Inn - Dartmouth
#5 of 10 in Dartmouth
Downtown Halifax
Cambridge Suites - Halifax

Been to Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!