“Perfect Unless You Are a Party Monster”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dartmouth
Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Dartmouth B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect Unless You Are a Party Monster”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The B&B I had researched on TripAdvisor.com (Marigold) was booked, so they recommended the Blockhouse Hill B&B. I’ll never go anywhere else. Between the location, the hospitality, the breakfasts and the value - you can’t do better. I would actually plan my vacation around this place.

The good news is that they’ve only got two rooms, so it’s cozy. Hosts Marion& Fred Evans are like grandparents – the ones you liked. They’re warm and receptive when you feel like company, but know how to give you space when you want it. Having never been to Halifax and not wanting a car, I thought I should stay downtown and was worried that the Blockhouse would be a hassle. I quickly discovered, however, that the Blockhouse is MUCH better than downtown – just a hop, skip and jump across the harbor on the little passenger ferries (a $2.25 metro ticket buys you 90+ consecutive minutes anywhere in the transit system, including the ferries which depart every 15 – 30 mins). After spending the day hoofing around downtown, it’s wonderful to sit on the top ferry deck for the 10-minute ride across the harbor, and only 5 short blocks from the Dartmouth terminal to the Blockhouse (no sweat unless you are disabled, in which case I’ll bet Fred or Marion might pick you up). Going the other direction, you get to devour the Halifax cityscape and the ferry drops you at Halifax’s main focal point where you can easily walk or take buses to everything.

Marion loves to bake and the breakfasts show it – homemade jams, bread, rolls granola, omelets, bacon…I’m gaining weight just thinking about it. I guarantee that you won’t want breakfast anywhere else. Also, at breakfast, you can compare notes with the other guests to see what they’ve discovered – you might even end up going somewhere together. Fred is a retired CPA, so if you like numbers, knock yourself out.

Fast wireless Internet is included (faster than I get in Los Angeles). If you have a car, it looks like you could park it on the street for free and if you don’t have a car, buses seem to depart to everywhere from the Dartmouth ferry terminal. You can also rent a bike from Ideal Bikes (902-444-RIDE), in Halifax, and take it on the ferry.

If you want a break from downtown Halifax, stay on the Dartmouth side because the Blockhouse’s immediate neighborhood has good places within easy walk. A great coffee house (“Two if By Sea”), a spa (“Interlude”), and a neat restaurant (“Ma Belle’s”) are a block-and-a-half away on Ochterloney Street; the Celtic Corner Pub, across from the Dartmouth Ferry Terminal, is decent and I definitely suggest a meal on their open rooftop. As for the rest of Dartmouth retail, it seems to have been pretty much decimated by the Walmarts of the world and probably worth a miss.

Blockhouse, like most B&B’s, is not for everyone. Think of it as staying at your grandparents’ house so if you’re a party monster who likes to stay out late and come home drunk with a blind date, stay at the Marriott on Argyle Street, in Halifax, which is smack in the middle of the action. I’m told that the last ferry from Halifax to Dartmouth is around 11:30 PM and the last bus is around 1:30 A.M., so the Blockhouse probably isn’t the place for night owls unless you’re quiet when you get back.

The only thing I’m worried about in recommending it is that it’ll become so popular that I won’t be able to get a reservation.

Blockhouse Hill: Marion & Fred Evans (866) 873-1699; fredso1@eastlink.ca; http://www.blockhousehillbedandbreakfast.com

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank cyberscott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ottawa
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Blockhouse Hill in July 2009. This was our second time staying here and once again Fred and Marion were extremely friendly and gracious hosts. The breakfasts were to die for and the many conversations with both of them will be remembered for times to come. We will definitely stay here again when we return to NS next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I booked Blockhouse Hill BB online and confirmed by 'phone for our trip to Nova Scotia in July 2008. My wife and I were visiting from Newcastle,UK, to meet our daughter and partner who were travelling down from Fredericton. It was our first visit to Canada and our flight from Glasgow to Halifax Int. left us with a half hour drive to Dartmouth.
On arrival we were met by Fred and Marion who showed us our rooms on the first floor. There are two bedrooms, a shared bathroom and a small sitting room with tv, coffee & kettle etc. It suited our needs perfectly. The rooms were comfortable and we slept well. Breakfasts were delicious with a variety of cooked dishes and plenty of Marion's home made granola.
There were two or three bar/restaurant establishments within walking distance so we could eat locally if we wished. The ferry across to the city centre is also within walking distance so we left the hire car at home when visiting across the river. Our hosts were very helpful when suggesting day trips and lent us maps when needed.
We enjoyed our stay at the Blockhouse and would recommend it to others as being comfortable and reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AJM100
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Blockhouse Hill B & B in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia for 3 nights at the end of August, 2008. We really enjoyed our time there! We were in Dartmouth for a wedding, and decided to stay a few extra nights.

The owners, Marion and Fred, are a very nice retired couple who are very knowledgeable about the Halifax area. The B&B is small, only 2 rooms, but is full of antiques and the softest bed sheets available!! There is a shared bathroom for the 2 rooms, which wasn't a problem at all while we were there. It would be great if you were traveling with another couple or as a family. The bathroom was very clean, with a great rain-style shower head. The place could use some updating, but is full of charm. We came and went as we pleased, with a key to the house.

Breakfasts were great!! Marion baked up fresh caramel muffins (heart shaped), 3 cheese omlets, homemade granola, bacon, eggs, and fresh blueberry pancakes. There is a peach tree in the yard and they had peach juice and peach jam available as well! Delicious!!!

We would definately recommend this place to anyone traveling to the Halifax area looking for a little something special. It isn't the biggest or fanciest B & B we have stayed at, but the food was great home cooking, and the hospitality was second to none. Plus the price was great!! We will definately stay here again when we return to the Halifax area.

• Liked — Great food!
  • Disliked — Only one bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PsycChicMegaWatts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Dartmouth Centre
Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Cambridge Suites - Halifax

Been to Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!