“Friendly hosts, great breakfast, great value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dartmouth
Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Dartmouth B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly hosts, great breakfast, great value”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

A small residence in a quiet residential area. Conveniently close to the Halifax harbour ferry. Hosts were very helpful with recommendations. Breakfast was excellent, and accommodating to food allergies. Only minor drawback is a shared bathroom (two rooms sharing), and squeaky floorboards.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this beautiful and cozy B&B in September 2010 while touring Nova Scotia. The owners are welcoming and engaging, very caring and full of interesting stories. The house is exquisite, with four-poster beds, a cozy sitting room with television, books and games, and an atmosphere of openness and decorous taste. Breakfasts were delicious, and the owners had plenty of suggestions as to what to see, where to go, and where to eat. Getting to Halifax was a piece of cake: a 5 minute walk to the ferry, and a 10 minute cheap trip across the water, with great views of the skyline. We will definitely come back, and would recommend this beautiful home to anyone who wants a cozy, homey experience of real Nova Scotia hospitality!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Vestal, New York
Reviewed October 5, 2010

This is an out of the way venue 5 minutes from downtown Halifax. The location was very convenient, the room very comfortable and furnished.The value for money was outstanding at this home. The best part of the stay was the host and hostess. I very much felt I was staying with family rather than a guest at a B&B. Overall an outsyanding experience and I would heartly recommend a stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Marion and Fred were very friendly and accommodating. We very much enjoyed our stay. The place was tastefully decorated, clean and our room was spacious. We also enjoyed the extra space of the guest living room on the second floor. Breakfast was hearty and delicious. The butterscotch muffins were particularly good! Although not noted on their website, they do have wireless internet connection. I highly recommend this place tucked in a quiet street in Dartmouth, only couple of minutes from the ferry to Halifax.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The B&B I had researched on TripAdvisor.com (Marigold) was booked, so they recommended the Blockhouse Hill B&B. I’ll never go anywhere else. Between the location, the hospitality, the breakfasts and the value - you can’t do better. I would actually plan my vacation around this place.

The good news is that they’ve only got two rooms, so it’s cozy. Hosts Marion& Fred Evans are like grandparents – the ones you liked. They’re warm and receptive when you feel like company, but know how to give you space when you want it. Having never been to Halifax and not wanting a car, I thought I should stay downtown and was worried that the Blockhouse would be a hassle. I quickly discovered, however, that the Blockhouse is MUCH better than downtown – just a hop, skip and jump across the harbor on the little passenger ferries (a $2.25 metro ticket buys you 90+ consecutive minutes anywhere in the transit system, including the ferries which depart every 15 – 30 mins). After spending the day hoofing around downtown, it’s wonderful to sit on the top ferry deck for the 10-minute ride across the harbor, and only 5 short blocks from the Dartmouth terminal to the Blockhouse (no sweat unless you are disabled, in which case I’ll bet Fred or Marion might pick you up). Going the other direction, you get to devour the Halifax cityscape and the ferry drops you at Halifax’s main focal point where you can easily walk or take buses to everything.

Marion loves to bake and the breakfasts show it – homemade jams, bread, rolls granola, omelets, bacon…I’m gaining weight just thinking about it. I guarantee that you won’t want breakfast anywhere else. Also, at breakfast, you can compare notes with the other guests to see what they’ve discovered – you might even end up going somewhere together. Fred is a retired CPA, so if you like numbers, knock yourself out.

Fast wireless Internet is included (faster than I get in Los Angeles). If you have a car, it looks like you could park it on the street for free and if you don’t have a car, buses seem to depart to everywhere from the Dartmouth ferry terminal. You can also rent a bike from Ideal Bikes (902-444-RIDE), in Halifax, and take it on the ferry.

If you want a break from downtown Halifax, stay on the Dartmouth side because the Blockhouse’s immediate neighborhood has good places within easy walk. A great coffee house (“Two if By Sea”), a spa (“Interlude”), and a neat restaurant (“Ma Belle’s”) are a block-and-a-half away on Ochterloney Street; the Celtic Corner Pub, across from the Dartmouth Ferry Terminal, is decent and I definitely suggest a meal on their open rooftop. As for the rest of Dartmouth retail, it seems to have been pretty much decimated by the Walmarts of the world and probably worth a miss.

Blockhouse, like most B&B’s, is not for everyone. Think of it as staying at your grandparents’ house so if you’re a party monster who likes to stay out late and come home drunk with a blind date, stay at the Marriott on Argyle Street, in Halifax, which is smack in the middle of the action. I’m told that the last ferry from Halifax to Dartmouth is around 11:30 PM and the last bus is around 1:30 A.M., so the Blockhouse probably isn’t the place for night owls unless you’re quiet when you get back.

The only thing I’m worried about in recommending it is that it’ll become so popular that I won’t be able to get a reservation.

Blockhouse Hill: Marion & Fred Evans (866) 873-1699; fredso1@eastlink.ca; http://www.blockhousehillbedandbreakfast.com

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank cyberscott
Ottawa
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Blockhouse Hill in July 2009. This was our second time staying here and once again Fred and Marion were extremely friendly and gracious hosts. The breakfasts were to die for and the many conversations with both of them will be remembered for times to come. We will definitely stay here again when we return to NS next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I booked Blockhouse Hill BB online and confirmed by 'phone for our trip to Nova Scotia in July 2008. My wife and I were visiting from Newcastle,UK, to meet our daughter and partner who were travelling down from Fredericton. It was our first visit to Canada and our flight from Glasgow to Halifax Int. left us with a half hour drive to Dartmouth.
On arrival we were met by Fred and Marion who showed us our rooms on the first floor. There are two bedrooms, a shared bathroom and a small sitting room with tv, coffee & kettle etc. It suited our needs perfectly. The rooms were comfortable and we slept well. Breakfasts were delicious with a variety of cooked dishes and plenty of Marion's home made granola.
There were two or three bar/restaurant establishments within walking distance so we could eat locally if we wished. The ferry across to the city centre is also within walking distance so we left the hire car at home when visiting across the river. Our hosts were very helpful when suggesting day trips and lent us maps when needed.
We enjoyed our stay at the Blockhouse and would recommend it to others as being comfortable and reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AJM100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Dartmouth Centre
Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Cambridge Suites - Halifax

Been to Blockhouse Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!