“Flavor on the Water” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flavor On The Water

Flavor On The Water
Ranked #10 of 143 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Flavor on the Water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is the newest of the Flavor restaurants which is located in the new cruise terminal (next to the fiddle). The menu is outstanding and the emphasis is on locally sourced food and drinks. Try the Phone Booth white wine fro NS.

Visited August 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So-so cuisine with pretty scenery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently ate at Flavor on the Water. I had Lobster risotto, and my husband had halibut, both dinner entrees. The service was basic, without the friendliness and extra touches that one might expect from a restaurant in Cape Breton. Instead of bread, we received a very tasty tea biscuit and 2 oatcakes. We did not order appetizers. The lobster bisque contained nearly an entire shelled market lobster, cooked nicely. However, it was obvious that the risotto was not cooked carefully, being undercooked and thus a wee bit too firm for my liking. It tasted good, but did not taste as good as I expected, considering the $29 it cost for my entree alone. My husband's halibut meal came atop a mound of potatoes, a brushing of sweet butternut squash, and a few spears of mushy asparagus. The plating was interesting to the eye, and looked nice overall. Unfortunately, the fish was overcooked. Although tasty, it was disappointingly dry for $27. Dessert for us was a shared piece of orange cheesecake that tasted more like lemon. Containing a nutty, moist and crunchy base, it was my favourite part of the meal. I will not recommend this restaurant, given that there are other more affordable and welcoming local restaurants with more flavourful food. I am interested to try the other Flavor locations for comparison.

Sydney, Canada
“Excellent Food and service, higher prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

Recently went here for my parents anniversary supper. The service and food was excellent, we had a reservation and when we got there the table was already set for us and they had breads and butter on the table. The butter is a maple butter and delicious. The service was friendly and efficient. We did not get to sit outside as it was raining but it is all windows so it was okay. People had crab cakes and I was told they were excellent. For supper we had the burger, curry and stuffed chicken. All 3 were great except for 1 complaint with the thai curry. Usually when I get a Thai curry or Indian the rice and 'sauce' come separate. However, here the curry sauce and rice come in a bowl together which cases the rice to continue to absorb the moisture and begin to get mushy. By the end it was more of a rice soup. The flavor was great though. Would go back again for lunch to try some of their other food.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Winnipeg
“Huge Wait Time, Bland Food, Poor Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We went here at ~ 1:30 pm today. We sat outside (nice breeze and view) to enjoy the lovely weather. It was the only part of our dining experience that we enjoyed. We ordered: 1 chicken pita, 1 Fiddle burger (beef burger) and a side of sea salt fries. We waited and waited and waited to receive our food. It didn't arrive until after 3pm! The pita was fine - noting extraordinary. However, the burger was awful....it was bland and greasy. You could get a better burger at A&W. The fries did not come with the sea salt as listed in the menu. They were bland but the ketchup helped.

The service was lacking to say the least. Our server was Matt, he tended to our table once with water and then with the food. Other servers were attended to their clients more often - ensuring they were happy with their meals, refills of beverages, etc.

We were thoroughly disappointed. We had waited so long for the meal only to have such a terrible meal. I summoned another server to get our bill as we had waited long enough. Oh yes, let's not forget that our server watched over my shoulder while I was getting out the cash to pay. Really, I didn't need any help at that point!

So, long story short, if you want a place to sit off the ocean, enjoy the breeze, and wait hours for your bland food, go here. If you want a delicious bite to eat with very good service, try Governor's Pub across the street. I'll write my review on that on shortly.

Visited August 2014
5 Thank Queenlisab
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We did not call ahead to get reservations by a window - a good idea; if we had our rating would be 5. Service was very friendly and food excellent. The seafood platter for two was wonderful and a great deal. We were not rushed.

Visited July 2014