“Terrible - Do Not Stay Here!!”

Jacques Cartier Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Jacques Cartier Motel
Ranked #4 of 13 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2012

No air conditioning; no fans. We had to leave the windows open in order for us to breathe! We had to then close the windows because of the noise - cars & motorcycles racing down the road; people outside talking loudly (past 11:30pm - they are supposed to observe a "quiet time" starting at 11:00pm). The bed had 2 very thin pillows. No coffee maker or anything for the morning. The only thing good about this place was the proximity to the airport and we only stayed one night - not that we slept very much! We will never stay here again and will recommend that everyone pick somewhere else to spend a night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Darlene B

Reviewed June 26, 2012

The motel is easy to find and the kitchenette is a real boon. I was able to cook some vegetables - a real rare treat when travelling.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Pam635836
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I was travelling due to a death in the family, and had a limited budget for hotels. The value for the room is great. It was just large enough to ensure I didn't feel closed in, and very clean. The furntiture is very reminiscent of a bed&breakfast rather than a hotel. My only negative was I do hang up my towels to be re-used, but they were replaced every day anyway.

Free internet (with a code, ask at check in), but no long distance available on the phone (which would have been good for me, but I did have my cell phone so not too big an issue). I would have loved a microwave (and maybe a fridge) to be available as I have specific dietary needs.

The folks at the desk were wonderful to talk to, a true Cape Breton welcome home. I recommend the Jacqes Cartier if you want to travel around or be central in CB Regional without having to pay over $100 per night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Cochrane_S8
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This is the perfect location if you just want somewhere to sleep before catching a flight in the morning. There is no restaurant, no food, the room is old, I was worried about bed bugs. Seemed fine. We survived. It was nice and cheap for just a one night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank missingthebuffet
Reviewed August 24, 2011

A nice family-run motel. Spacious modern rooms.
Clean rooms, friendly service. Laundromat available.
Limitations: phone in room doesn't dial long distance or 1-800 numbers, no hair dryer, no fridge in room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Stan390
Reviewed July 14, 2011

While attending a family wedding in New Waterford, Cape Breton we stayed at the Jacques Cartier Motel just outside of Sydney for four nights. It's an older motel but has some renovated rooms. We stayed in the end unit (at back) which had an updated bathroom and featured a kitchenette outfitted with dishes, dish cloths etc. It was very clean, and with the motel itself set well back from the highway it was very quiet. I could see it being a good place for kids, because there was lots of room for them to run around outside. The motel also had a laundry room for guest use which came in handy. The room also had cable tv and free wireless internet. It was a pleasant surprise as I had read previous reviews on this sight which were not good. All I can say is, previous reviewers must have been expecting far too much. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JMRadford_11
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Do yourself a favor... spend a few extra dollars, and stay somewhere with better accommodations.

The only good thing to say about it, is they had hot water.

Staff was unfriendly and rude - for no reason. They had no cots. Their beds are tiny, and the rooms are dusty and tiny.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family