“non existant service”

Kiju's
Ranked #6 of 147 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local Seasonal Products, Seafood, Steaks, Pastas, Vegetarian and Gluten Free ..And much more We love your children and have created special menus for them as well. Fully licensed with a lounge and patio. Located in the Membertou Trade & Convention Centre. Menu located on our website link.
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Great location, great ambiance, comfortable seating and overall a pleasant place to be. However on the night we attempted to dine at this location it was understaffed and very busy. We were seated promptly, four adults, and given our menus and then......it was as if we became invisible so we departed and no one so much as asked why.

3  Thank RobertM936

Hello RobertM936

We were all disappointed and sorry to read about your experience with us. I would like to apologize for this error and I hope if you're back in the area you will give us another chance to see that this was an honest error. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

Our group of 5 went there for dinner the last evening of our trip as it was attached to the hotel we stayed at . My husband ordered the lobster dinner & it was terrible . It was way over cooked & very rubbery for the 33.00 price tag . My sister in laws both ordered steak & it was very tough . The only meal that was okay was the pork chop entree , my niece said it was very good . Would not go there again !!

3  Thank Lucy429

Hello Lucy429

All comments are reviewed by our staff and management. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the meal but pleased to hear about your niece's pork chop. I will mention that we switched to cutting our own steaks on site and a different supplier a few months ago (I realize this response is months after your visit and I apologize for this) to ensure the best quality product is presented to our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and if you are in the area again I welcome you to stop in and see the improvements we've made.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

Melissa greeted me and restated my order for pick-up. I arrived into town just before 10pm and was encouraged to eat here. She pointed out there are two containers for the Chowder because one just wasn't big enough. For appetizer, there was the Highland Grilled Beef (very tender as in melt in your mouth) and Artisan Greens served with grilled peppers, vegetable slaw, lemongrass cilantro vinaigrette and goat cheese in the form like white snow. The Steamed Aspy Bay Mussels (a very generous portion indeed) came accompanied with cilantro chardonnay broth seasoned with tomato and roasted garlic.The Pan blackened Louisbourg Halibut came with carrots and green onions drapped over a huge serving of mash potatoes.

The recipes presented are passed down from generation and the ingredients are sourced from local providers such as Nova Scotia Shaw’s Seafood, Gillis Seafoods, Highland Gold Maple Syrup, Misty Meadow Honey, Beautiful Hill Farm, French Road Bakery, Golden Grove Estates Highland Beef, Horyl’s Meats, Guneden, Green Island Fox Hill Cheese, Acadian Maple, That Dutchman’s Farm, Ran-cher Acres Martock Glen Farms, Active Life Farms, The taste bros and fresh mushrooms, berries and fiddleheads from foragers.

The menu offers highlights from Cape Breton as well as Canadian, Italian, American, French and, of course, First Nations.

Hello SomeBunnylovesyou

Our idea of "Fresh, Local, Friendly" is what we live by and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review and for your appreciation of this philosophy. All of our staff members read these reviews and on their behalf thank you for the compliments.

We all hope to see you again in the future and once again thank you for this wonderful review.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

After a LONG day of driving we picked this spot because it's walking distance from our hotel. Happily it was quite good. Nice selection to please everyone, kids included.

1  Thank yomammaToronto

Hello

I agree that long days of driving can be tiring. The beauty of staying at the highly rated Hampton Inn is we are connected via pedway. It can be a great thing to just walk over from the hotel and have a wonderful meal and I'm pleased to see you took advantage of this convenience.

Thank you for taking the time to review us (and take pictures) and if you're family is back in the Sydney area please stop by and visit with us again.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

The decor was nicely done and the food was awesome! I would drive all the way back from Ontario to eat there again!
I thoroughly enjoyed the Onion Crunch Burger that I had for my meal....but the Coconut Cream Pie I had for dessert stole the show!

1  Thank Doug5150
Doug M, Manager at Kiju's, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2015

Hello Doug5150

I'm happy that you enjoyed our "refresh" of our restaurant and the attractive image this created. It is always nice to see these things are appreciated by our guests. Our burgers are delicious and there's a reason our coconut cream pie is award winning. I hope that if you do come back from Hamilton that you visit us again.