“There are better choices in Sydney!”
Review of Kiju's

Kiju's
Ranked #6 of 148 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Local Seasonal Products, Seafood, Steaks, Pastas, Vegetarian and Gluten Free ..And much more We love your children and have created special menus for them as well. Fully licensed with a lounge and patio. Located in the Membertou Trade & Convention Centre. Menu located on our website link.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Upon entering the restaurant for dinner, we were immediately greeted by a waiter who was cheerful and welcoming. But the atmosphere in the restaurant was disappointing: the restaurant looks like a cafeteria, the lighting has been dimmed but not enough to create a cozy atmosphere. There is no background music , so all we hear is the noise from the open air kitchen.

My spouse and I shared a Kiju salad as appetizer - it was probably the first time that we had to return food! The salad was unedible as it was soaked in vinegar. The waiter quickly returned with a new plate of salad, with dressing on the side. The second plate was nothing like the first one: the lettuce was fresh and crisp, and the vegetables were nicely displayed in a star pattern. One has to wonder why they didn't serve the first salad this way???

We then shared a full rack of baby-back ribs. The best way to describe it is this: go to your friendly neighborhood grocery store, buy a rack of baby-back ribs in the frozen section, and cook them...voila! Same as at Kiju's...unimpressive. Luckily, it was served with a generous portion of home fries, and some vegetables.

The service was very good, the waiter was attentive and friendly - I didn't get the waiter's name and he didn't have a name tag...

At the end of the meal, it came.... The distinctive odour that brought back memory from almost 40 years ago when I was at summer camp and our crew was up for washing duty...the humid smell of the commercial dishwasher!!! Because the kitchen is open, not only did we have all the noise from the kitchen, but the odours of the dishwasher! There has to be a way to avoid this! I like the concept of being able to see the cleanliness of the kitchen from the dining room, but without the noise and odours!

Overall, an ordinary experience, and at $27.99, the ribs seem overpriced. Luckily, the staff saved the rating to "poor" instead of "terrible".

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Arrived at 8:45pm. Waited 10 minutes for a server. Nobody... I asked. Another 5 minutes passes. No one...yet. Finally... Ordered the clam chowder... it was tasteless. The fish cakes were tasteless. The roasted chicken was dry. Same as any restaurant around town. Horrible service and plain food. Save your money, go somewhere else!

2  Thank Whipthat
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had a business lunch here and found the food to be really good. We ordered from the menu but I believe they also offer a buffet style lunch.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We went for the Mothers Day buffet. They put out a large variety of food and plenty of it. A chocolate fountain with fresh fruit, biscuits and marshmallows to dip. Turkey, Ham, Salmon, Salads, Roasted Potato, Rolls and Bread. My husband and I took our moms there and they were very pleased with the food and the service. It is a nice way to treat your mom or yourself anytime of year!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The salmon special was to die for. A good selection for kids. Dining room was bright and spacious, and the service was attentive but not rushed. We really felt that we were welcome guests.