“Nice stay”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Canada
“Nice stay”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Went here for a weekend on a whim. Only live about 20mins away but felt like doing something different because it was our 4 year anniversery. When my boyfriend mentioned this they upgraded us to a suite with no extra charge. The room was clean, spacious and nice.

Room Tip: tell them its your anniversary ! haha
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear CapeBreton90,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to have had you stay with us on your 4 year anniversary! Whenever you feel like another mini getaway, we’d be more than happy to welcome you back again.

Manager, social media

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Decent room on 7th floor with a great view of the waterfront and the world's largest fiddle. Drinks machine on our floor was not working and a trip to the 5th floor to find an alternative required running the gamut of scantily clad, noisy and exuberant soldiers! Very glad we weren't on that floor!

We ate in the restaurant on the afternoon/evening of arrival and again at breakfast. On both occasions, food was awful (poor quality, huge portions, crudely presented) and service was poor.

Checkout was very slow (waiting for breakfast bill, which required several prompts from front desk). Whilst waiting, we learned that the recent change from Delta to Holiday Inn had been "merely a branding change".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Philip D,

Thank you for your review. We are very lucky to have such great views from our guest rooms, including the world’s largest fiddle. Along with our brand change, came many exciting guest room renovations, new elevators and many more to come. I’m sorry that you were let down during your restaurant and check out experiences and I will certainly pass on your feedback to the Food and Beverage manger and Guest Service Manager. I hope you will give us another chance if your travels bring you to Sydney again in the future.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel since they changed name/management from Delta. The last time they didn't even have a working elevator.
This time, We were pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and tidy. The amenities (including a bar fridge) were very appropriate and useful and we even had a good view from our window.
They had the wrong room reserved for us. Upon arrival we had to have the single bed room changed to a two bed room (as per our reservation) but this was quick and easy and we were checking in early enough that they had the room to spare.
The hotel was full as it was Celtic Colours time and there were a pile of under 18 men's soccer teams in the place. We didn't hear or run into any of them except for a very small handful in the pool.
Pool hours are great. Open at 5:30 AM and closing at 11:00PM. This allowed us to spend the day with my dad and then return to the hotel with plenty of time for my youngest son and I to go splash. The pool is the reason we booked the hotel and it will bring us back again.
The room came with two complementary breakfasts from the restaurant. Pretty much anything off the menu (except the steak an eggs) was free. My oldest son and I had a great breakfast - a much better option than the paltry breakfast buffet at the nearby Cambridge Suites.
The public areas of the hallways, stairwells and the pool locker rooms are a bit musty and need cleaning. But the rooms themselves were spotless.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an angled view of the harbour. Ask for higher floors if you can (and if the eleva...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fusilier111
Dear Fusilier111,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. The management of our property has not changed but we did go through many renovations, including a major elevator overhaul with two brand new elevators, and have more upgrades in various areas of the hotel to come. We are very excited about the exciting changes! It is wonderful to hear that our new pool hours and breakfast were convenient for you and your family. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Sydney.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

King size bed in a modern, updated room with a spectacular view of the ocean and cruise ship port. It must have been one of the best rooms (with the best view) in the hotel so I was quite pleased. Bar fridge came in handy for chilling our drinks. We didn't use the TV but it was a flat screen and looked new, and was mounted to the wall.

The restaurant where breakfast was served had a nice view of the ocean. Food was decent (overeasy eggs were way overcooked, melon in my fruit salad was mushy) but WAY overpriced ($13 for pancakes).

Due to a lack of other surrounding restaurants being open/available (we were there during a huge soccer tournament and on a holiday weekend) we were stuck eating at the Crown & Moose pub/restaurant in the hotel for dinner. The service was terrible, slow, the server was (overly) friendly but rambunctious and distracting. Food was average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear floatie43,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the view of the ocean and found the room accommodations commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology if the services at the restaurant and food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations and also for any inconvenience the server may have caused. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

No problems here. Lots of free parking, great restaurant. Rooms were standard updated holiday inn type rooms. Some have newer style a/c units and some are old ones. Our room had an absolutely terrible shower with no water pressure at all and made a loud whining noise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear jason9945,

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, we do have complimentary parking and our restaurant has one of the best views in the city. Your concerns about the water pressure have been passed on to our maintenance team. We hope to see you stay with us again!

Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The room was newly renovated and of nice size. Pretty clean and had all amenities. The bed was a king size but too soft for our taste. The view was really awesome, the yacht club boat parking just below our windows as well as the parking area for the three cruise ships that landed in the morning of our stay. Fascinating to watch yet, noisy.
Someone in the hotel or near the hotel had heavy metal music blaring until 2 am at which time I was finally able to fall asleep-only to be abruptly awakened by very noisy doors in our hallway, people rushing about in the corridors and flushing toilets next door all at around 5:30 - 6 am----ugh. Then the cruise ships "beep the horns" to announce their arrival at 7 ish in the am : ( Not what I would expect in this fairly high priced hotel. The food in the dining room and hotel pub was awful and service in the pub equally was poor. The only thing acceptable in the pub that night was the lone entertainer and his "folky" selections.
I do not recommend this hotel unless you can sleep through any noise and that you find another spot to eat.

2 Thank IslandCowgirl1961
Dear IslandCowgirl1961,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our rooms and its great you got to take in the spectacular view while you stayed with us. I’m sorry that there was a problem with noise during your stay. The sleep quality of our guests is extremely important to us. I will certainly pass on your concerns to the food and beverage manager and the Executive Chef.

Halifax, nova scotia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was in Sydney the last week of August settling my father into a nursing home in Sydney Mines which is five hours from Halifax where I live. It was a very emotionally draining and strenuous time. I didn`'t plan ahead and I didn't know the Over 55 Expo was being held in Sydney so when we pulled up to the Holiday Inn to crash for the night, there was no vacancy. There was no vacancy anywhere in the city! I told the front desk workers about my situation and they were amazing. They called every B & B, hotel and motel from Sydney to Glace Bay to Baddeck to try to help me out. They were so kind, caring ,helpful etc. I cannot say enough about the royal treatment I received at the Holiday Inn Sydney -during such a diffciult time. Truly wonderful human spirit and Cape Breton hospitality shone through. (I can't recall the names of the people, it was two women and a man ) They were amazing! Thank you. I will definitely see you soon! :)

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HalifaxTravelers
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear HalifaxTravelers,

Thank you for your review. The week of the Over 55 Expo was certainly a busy week for Sydney in general. However, I’m so thankful we could make it easier for you during this difficult time. Thank you for your kind words, I will pass on your gratitude to the front desk staff as well. We hope to see you again in the future.

Manager, social media
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney
Spanish Bay Inn and  Suites
Silver Dart Lodge
Silver Dart Lodge
#1 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront? Share your experiences!