“Visit with family”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Sydney
Halifax, Canada
“Visit with family”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel since they changed name/management from Delta. The last time they didn't even have a working elevator.
This time, We were pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and tidy. The amenities (including a bar fridge) were very appropriate and useful and we even had a good view from our window.
They had the wrong room reserved for us. Upon arrival we had to have the single bed room changed to a two bed room (as per our reservation) but this was quick and easy and we were checking in early enough that they had the room to spare.
The hotel was full as it was Celtic Colours time and there were a pile of under 18 men's soccer teams in the place. We didn't hear or run into any of them except for a very small handful in the pool.
Pool hours are great. Open at 5:30 AM and closing at 11:00PM. This allowed us to spend the day with my dad and then return to the hotel with plenty of time for my youngest son and I to go splash. The pool is the reason we booked the hotel and it will bring us back again.
The room came with two complementary breakfasts from the restaurant. Pretty much anything off the menu (except the steak an eggs) was free. My oldest son and I had a great breakfast - a much better option than the paltry breakfast buffet at the nearby Cambridge Suites.
The public areas of the hallways, stairwells and the pool locker rooms are a bit musty and need cleaning. But the rooms themselves were spotless.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an angled view of the harbour. Ask for higher floors if you can (and if the eleva...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fusilier111
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Fusilier111,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. The management of our property has not changed but we did go through many renovations, including a major elevator overhaul with two brand new elevators, and have more upgrades in various areas of the hotel to come. We are very excited about the exciting changes! It is wonderful to hear that our new pool hours and breakfast were convenient for you and your family. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Sydney.

Manager, social media

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed October 16, 2012

King size bed in a modern, updated room with a spectacular view of the ocean and cruise ship port. It must have been one of the best rooms (with the best view) in the hotel so I was quite pleased. Bar fridge came in handy for chilling our drinks. We didn't use the TV but it was a flat screen and looked new, and was mounted to the wall.

The restaurant where breakfast was served had a nice view of the ocean. Food was decent (overeasy eggs were way overcooked, melon in my fruit salad was mushy) but WAY overpriced ($13 for pancakes).

Due to a lack of other surrounding restaurants being open/available (we were there during a huge soccer tournament and on a holiday weekend) we were stuck eating at the Crown & Moose pub/restaurant in the hotel for dinner. The service was terrible, slow, the server was (overly) friendly but rambunctious and distracting. Food was average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear floatie43,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the view of the ocean and found the room accommodations commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology if the services at the restaurant and food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations and also for any inconvenience the server may have caused. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed October 15, 2012

No problems here. Lots of free parking, great restaurant. Rooms were standard updated holiday inn type rooms. Some have newer style a/c units and some are old ones. Our room had an absolutely terrible shower with no water pressure at all and made a loud whining noise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear jason9945,

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, we do have complimentary parking and our restaurant has one of the best views in the city. Your concerns about the water pressure have been passed on to our maintenance team. We hope to see you stay with us again!

Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The room was newly renovated and of nice size. Pretty clean and had all amenities. The bed was a king size but too soft for our taste. The view was really awesome, the yacht club boat parking just below our windows as well as the parking area for the three cruise ships that landed in the morning of our stay. Fascinating to watch yet, noisy.
Someone in the hotel or near the hotel had heavy metal music blaring until 2 am at which time I was finally able to fall asleep-only to be abruptly awakened by very noisy doors in our hallway, people rushing about in the corridors and flushing toilets next door all at around 5:30 - 6 am----ugh. Then the cruise ships "beep the horns" to announce their arrival at 7 ish in the am : ( Not what I would expect in this fairly high priced hotel. The food in the dining room and hotel pub was awful and service in the pub equally was poor. The only thing acceptable in the pub that night was the lone entertainer and his "folky" selections.
I do not recommend this hotel unless you can sleep through any noise and that you find another spot to eat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IslandCowgirl1961
Dear IslandCowgirl1961,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our rooms and its great you got to take in the spectacular view while you stayed with us. I’m sorry that there was a problem with noise during your stay. The sleep quality of our guests is extremely important to us. I will certainly pass on your concerns to the food and beverage manager and the Executive Chef.

Halifax, nova scotia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was in Sydney the last week of August settling my father into a nursing home in Sydney Mines which is five hours from Halifax where I live. It was a very emotionally draining and strenuous time. I didn`'t plan ahead and I didn't know the Over 55 Expo was being held in Sydney so when we pulled up to the Holiday Inn to crash for the night, there was no vacancy. There was no vacancy anywhere in the city! I told the front desk workers about my situation and they were amazing. They called every B & B, hotel and motel from Sydney to Glace Bay to Baddeck to try to help me out. They were so kind, caring ,helpful etc. I cannot say enough about the royal treatment I received at the Holiday Inn Sydney -during such a diffciult time. Truly wonderful human spirit and Cape Breton hospitality shone through. (I can't recall the names of the people, it was two women and a man ) They were amazing! Thank you. I will definitely see you soon! :)

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HalifaxTravelers
LJHOLIDAYINNSYD, Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear HalifaxTravelers,

Thank you for your review. The week of the Over 55 Expo was certainly a busy week for Sydney in general. However, I’m so thankful we could make it easier for you during this difficult time. Thank you for your kind words, I will pass on your gratitude to the front desk staff as well. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

2 nights. This room was old and tired looking. Contrary to our request, we were placed next to the ice machine which was noisy most of the night and we could also hear the people in the next room. The air/heating system should have been replaced years ago and did not work properly.

One redeeming feature was that the beds were comfortable and if not for the noise, we would have slept well.

Was not impressed with either the wait staff (the same woman mixed up 2 of my orders) or the restaurant food. Mediocre at best.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Traveller4664,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is nice to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the outside noise. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences and your comments will certainly be looked into.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
ny
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Another very nice Holiday Inn -- new renovations to the rooms. But the best part was Alison at the front desk. When we checked in we were upgraded to a lovely room with a view. And when I asked if the room had a microwave -- she said yes, I said I wanted to melt butter for the lobsters we bought and she said no worries-- she would send some up if we needed it. Just a lovely way to start a stay at a hotel. Alison rocked!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 23anita,

Thank you for your review! It’s fantastic that you liked our room renovations and happy to hear you got to indulge in some fine Cape Breton seafood...and of course…as Alison knows, lobster is just not the same without melted butter! I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Alison! We hope you will come visit us again!

Manager, social media
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Cambridge Suites - Sydney
Spanish Bay Inn and  Suites
Hotel North
Hotel North
#1 of 4 in North Sydney

Been to Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront? Share your experiences!