“Delicious but Pricey”

Flavor
Ranked #4 of 145 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Catalone
“Delicious but Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at both locations, usually the downtown one because they make my all time favorite sandwich - Joe's Flavor Bomb. The grand lake road location boasts these amazing fingerling potatoes braised in duck fat (or at least they did a year ago!).
My only complaint about the place(s) is that they are overpriced for lunch. A sandwich and side should not cost 17$ +hst. Other places of the same quality offer the same lunch specials for almost half that. But damn that flavor bomb is good.

Also, the downtown location is always freezing, so wear a sweater if you don't want to eat in your coat.

1 Thank Fiere06

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Not For Your Average Couple”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went out for a date night and decided we were going to try something different, rather than our usual we decided to try Flavor.

We were looking for something simple, nothing too fancy. Most restaurants offer those items but not here. All of the dishes were unappealing and unappetizing.

Our server was very kind and attentive which made it a little better but we decided to leave anyways. Will not be coming back.

3 Thank Neil R
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Definitely Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I decided to try Flavor because I was staying at the Holiday Inn and it was close and I read great Trip Advisor reviews. I decided to have their steak and 2 sides and decided on the roasted vegetables and the risotto. The steak was below average (luke warm as well), the vegetables were dripping in pesto (literally sopping), and the risotto had awkward chunks of bacon in it. I was excited to try this place but this experience definitely wasn't great. I decided to give it one more shot the next night and get some take out as I saw some really yummy salads go by as I was sitting there. I got a combo with 2 salads and the homemade tomato basil soup. The thai noodle salad was good, the caesar had a really weird tasting dressing with it and the tomato soup was not edible. It looked so good too! It literally needed a pound of salt to give it any taste. Once again, not so impressed. Next time i'd try Flavor 19.

3 Thank LindsayElyse01
New Glasgow, Canada
“Small, simple, lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was right next door to our hotel, so we went here before reading any reviews and really felt we had gotten lucky. There's a nice variety on the menu, and, although we were ill (bad colds, not the restaurant) and only wanted chowder, we could see what others who still had taste buds were eating. The chowder was rich and full of fish and not heavily salted, over-salting being something that happens far to often with restaurant chowder. We happened to run into friends who were here and they were obviously enjoying their meals with gusto. Tiny and slow service, but, hey, this is Cape Breton, fast doesn't enter the picture here. Staff were friendly without being cloying. We would have gone back for a real meal once we felt better, but, unfortunately for us, they were closed on Sunday night. Next time we're in Sydney we'll go back.

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
“First time here but won't be my last!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Many of my friends ate here so I recommended it to my brother when he was visiting last week. My Mom & brother & I ate there and the service was "very attentive", the food a flavour delight. I had the "flavour bomb" and this was a tasty delight, especially if you like Jalapeno peppers and guacamole. My family had the "poppin patty", one in a wrap and one on gluten free bread. The wrap was definitely a winner! The coffee was very good also. For desert my brother had a cookie drizzled with chocolate and Mom & I shared the cheesecake (gluten free). Wow! We arrived a little before noon, which was a good thing as a cruise ship was in port and the restaurant filled up fast. I really wanted to try the pizza soup but opted for desert instead. I will come back another time for this! I thought the owner (it appeared to be or a management type) could have been nicer to his staff. I overheard him answer our waitress and it seems dismissive. She was an awesome waitress, I wish I got her name. There is so much to taste on this menu that you would have to return again and again!

• Visited October 2013