“Great recommendation from the Holiday Inn receptionist !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Governors Pub & Eatery

Governors Pub & Eatery
Ranked #2 of 143 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Pub, Canadian, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Northumberland
“Great recommendation from the Holiday Inn receptionist !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Arriving after a long wet drive from Halifax the Governors was recommended to us by the hotel receptionist. Doesn't look much from the outside but the food in the restaurant was great and the fiddle music & organic Cape Breton real ale in the bar upstairs was fantastic ! A great end to a dreary wet day !!

• Korean first
Dingwall, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, horrible Service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I Always go here to eat when we are in town. Its Defiantly our favourite place! After checking into our hotel around 7 on a Monday we decided to make our way over to Governors. We Tried getting on the deck upstairs but it was full, no big deal lots of room inside. We sat our selves at a dirty table since we really had no other choice. Waited about 15 mins for a menu in which I went to get myself, and mentioned to another waitress I was waiting. She finally came to take our order in which she did apologize for the wait. We ordered wings to start as usual, and I ordered a steak and my boyfriend orders a burger. Another wait on the wings about 20 mins. It was nice and hot, I asked for ranch that didn't not ever come. Our food didn't arrive after the app. it was another 15 mins after we finished our wings that our food came! And our waitress didn't even bring us the food someone else did. I had to get a glass of water myself at the bar. and after we were finished everything the wait on our cheque was another 15 20 mins, and the bartender gave it to us and apologized for the waitress. Like I said The food was GREAT!, Service sucked :(. I will be coming back, just maybe when ive forgotten about the long wait.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank McfOkf2012
Ottawa
“Wonderful food with a great patio and waterfront view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had a great dinner here on the waterfront after a long days drive. Our waitress and the hosting staff were very friendly and fun and the restaurant was nicely put together with some great extra touches like the gas fireplaces on the patio. The food was prepared well and tasted great...it was a great way to end the day.

Visited August 2013
Shelburne, Canada
“Good food, big crowds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I arrived at around 6 p.m. and were lucky to get a seat on the downstairs outdoor patio (which offers a great view of Sydney Harbour). We tried the upstairs patio first, but found it too loud and crowded, so we went back downstairs. Shortly after we were seated, the patio was filled, so we were glad to be able to enjoy the lovely evening outside.

Service was not quick, but we understood that because of the big crowd, and our server was friendly, efficient and attentive. We enjoyed our excellent local Garrison beers while we waited. Our food (spinach salad, Cape Breton maple salad with seared scallops added, Cape Breton crab cakes and seared haddock) was well worth the wait. Delicious!

New Canaan, CT
“Best seafood chowder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

On a rainy evening, we were looking for a warm friendly place to dine and discovered Governors. Ambiance was perfect, wait staff knowledgeable, and the seafood chowder was the best I have ever had--chunks of halibut, shrimp, and haddock! Almost a stew! Fresh and full of flavor. Dinner was so good we repeated the experience the next night.

• Visited July 2013