“Didn't even make it to the table”

Governors Pub & Eatery
Reserve with OpenTable
Governors Pub & Eatery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 156 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stopped by this pub to enjoy some live music and a beer while our cruise ship was in port. The restaurant had both indoor and outdoor seating with the bar and music being upstairs. After deciding that the upstairs was too loud we decided to put our name on the list to get a table. The hostess was preoccupied in other tasks and had a long line of people just waiting to get their name on the wait list. When servers were trying to get outside with food, she yelled at the people saying they couldn't wait for their table inside, even though we didn't even have our names on the wait list.

When we finally got to out our name on the list, we requested an indoor seat downstairs so we could hear the music (and because the wait to sit outside was rather long). When she finally called to seat us she began to bring us outside, she noticed that there was a server behind us while she was leading us out the door and she pushed my aside in favor of letting the server go by. I apologized and said that I was part of the party she was trying to seat, as my in-laws were ahead of her. She chastised me for it. I calmly told my husband that I wanted to leave. The hostess told me she didn't need my attitude.

We left and my in-laws stayed. They said he service was slow and the waitress didn't even know what they had on tap. I was very disappointed in the service and the unapologetic nature of the hostess because the music really was nice and something I wanted to enjoy.

1  Thank CMM71710

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Took the family there on a Friday evening, busy busy busy. Great atmosphere and food. Servers were friendly and told us up front that our food would take an hour...I found that a little long for a pub type establishment, but the food was worth the wait. Portions were huge, most of us couldn’t finish the meals as per the size. Totally recommend and will be going again on our next trip to Sydney. Only issue for us was that we came in at the height of the busy time and were seated with our younger kids right next to the live music speakers. Was waaay too loud to have a conversation, and a bit of a hiccup, but all in all a fantastic time.

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Ordered: Beer (Bruce Springs- very good)
App: coconut crusted shrimp (very good). Advertised at Tiger prawns but were jumbo shrimp.
Entre: fish and chips. Fish was a good cut adn good batter but it was just so greasy. The fries were soggy and seemed like they were cooked in oil too cold.
I'm not a food critic but I would have just liked some fries and a piece of fish.
The service was just not there. We didn't get cutlery/napkins/plates for tr appetizer. The entre took 20 minutes after we were done the appetizer (how long does it take to fry fish and potatoes?)
The waitress gave us no attention (I'm not bragging but I wanted ketchup :(. )

Over all disappointed. $41 for 2 beers, appy and entre. Wasn't worth it.

Maybe the sever was new or they had a mishap in the kitchen but I won't be going back.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

This was a recommendation from the recepionist at our hotel mostly for the beer however it was more than that. It was busy but the team were attentive and gave a good estimate of how long it would take to serve us. The meat eater went for calamari and lobster as a main and there were a couple of decent veggie options which were significantly better than average. The squid was apparently some of the best ever which is good since meat eater has eaten a lot of it. The sever was really helpful and made good recomendations and arranged for a taxi too. Would go again.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a must when in Sydney. Fantastic place with fantastic service. So glad we went there TWICE. One of the dishes you MUST TRY is their seafood chowder........OMG! OMG absolutely THE BEST chowder I have EVER had......and believe me when I say I have tried MANY. Make it a point to go there you will not be disappointed. I need not say anymore except GO!!!!