“it did the trick”

Dining options: Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“it did the trick”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had a long drive, it was raining and we were hungry. Even though the hotel pub may not have been our first choice it really was worthwhile stopping there. The beer was on special, the food portions were huge and the pricing was good. We had the seafood chowder and the mussels for appetizers - each could have been a main course. For our mains we had the fish (haddock) and chips and the pasta with seafood. Not the best food that we had in the Maritimes but certainly it did the trick. Service was good and prompt.

• Visited June 2014

Columbia, Missouri
“Felt like we were in a bad sitcom!”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

This place was nuts. Ate there after a long day of driving because it was pouring down rain and I couldn't face any more time in the car. I knew we were in for an "experience" when the waiter decided to sit down in the booth next to us and ask "what you kids want." I got salt fish cakes that had no discernible fish. They were like mashed potato cakes. My husband had "something that supposedly passed for spaghetti carbonara." He said it wasn't bad, but it wasn't carbonara. The kid had a hamburger with the works. The kid win. It was actually good. I don't know what possessed us to order dessert after such bad entrees, but we did. I had maple creme brûlée. It was vanilla pudding with a brûlée top. I am not making this up. Luckily we have a really good sense of humor. But we won't be going back.

1 Thank HistorianMom
Halifax, Canada
“Great Service/Entertainment”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The bar staff were wonderful- both friendly and helpful. Andrew Doyle played for hours- really entertaining! We didn't sample the food but the music/beer was great.

Visited April 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Great location downtown Sydney.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Although it is a little more expensive than your regular pub, the food is always good and it is right downtown walking distance to anything you'd like to see.

Visited November 2013
Fredericton
“Good food - I'd return”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Being a hotel pub, I wasn't expecting a lot, but the weather was lousy so I gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. While the place is more a bar than a family-friendly pub, the food was the best of the three pubs I tried while in town. I started with a caesar salad that was okay (not freshly made anchovy based dressing if you're picky about these things). The standout was the pasta main course. The serving was large, the sauce was very good (had chicken, tomato, peppers, onions, etc.), and it really hit the spot. When next in Sydney, I will eat here again.

• Visited November 2013