No photo provided
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I searched online for a cafe that would offer fresh local food at a reasonable price. I selected the Sunshinr thinking it would meet my needs. The prices on their website are lower than on the menu. When I was there, they said the register was not working.

I ordered a bowl of "seafood chowder" that was flat and insubstantial. The biscuit was $1 extra and chowder was $9, This was worth about half. I ordered coffee and a very dry piece of carrot cake.

My total was $28. Soup (worthless), bisquit (nice). coffee (had to beg for refill), and dry cake. Totally pathetic rip off. Do not waste your money here.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

The young man who served us was friendly and helpful. The menu had some regular fare (spaghetti and meatballs, e.g.) but it also had some interesting things, like the Scottish smoked salmon pizza with feta and olives -- which was very interesting. The spinach salad was also very good. The spaghetti was average, but nothing wrong with it. It was a Sunday evening, rather quiet, and it looks like regulas just drop by and help themselves. :) I didn't notice that there wre any cleanliness problems like some reviewers said -- the place was neat and comfortable, but not fancy. WOuld definately recommend it.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

My family stopped here while driving through Nova Scotia a couple of weeks ago. With two adults, a teenager and a baby, it's not always easy to find a place that satisfies all of us. This cafe, however, didn't make any of us happy. My son's hamburger was so rare that there were literally raw chunks of meat in it, and the burger was served on fancy foccacia bread that did nothing for the taste. My baby's cup of cream of broccoli soup inexplicably tasted like ashes. My husband had some sort of butter-soaked seafood on a hard roll and I honestly can't remember what I had, probably because I left it uneaten on my plate. In fact, all of our plates were left almost completely full at the end of the meal. The women who worked there were pleasant, but that's about the only compliment I have for this place. Antigonish is a cute little town; try your luck at one of the other restaurants!

Reviewed July 11, 2009

They have one high chair, kinda dirty... a kids menu that is apparently so rarely used that the waiter didn't know they had it and the spagetti and meatballs that arrived was more than a lunch for a large adult... crazy we had to ask for a small bowl and put some in it... the place needs to close for a couple of days and get cleane from top to bottom, not sure if they mop the floors each night or know how dirty things look from the perspecive of the diners. The food was mediocre to good, the brock salad hasn't changed but the greens were a litle limp. otherwise fine, not stellar but not bad.. but not as good as it was even a few years ago.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I don't usually eat here because there's not much I like on the menu. The food is great, but just not my type.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook