“A great spot for supper and lunch”
Review of Gabrieau's Bistro

Gabrieau's Bistro
Ranked #6 of 45 Restaurants in Antigonish
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“A great spot for supper and lunch”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

We've been to this spot many times with friends. The food is very good as is the service. They hace a large wine list and many excellent dessert options. The atmosphere is really very nice. It's a great spot for a romantic dinner or with friends. Really it's the only place in town that serves fine dining. It's a much needed addition to the food scene in town.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Food wasn't what we wanted but waitress was amazing”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This restaurant is totally charming. The décor and setting is really lovely and is different than many of the Mom and Pop type restaurants you find in the Maritimes. However, my husband didn't realize he was ordering a pasta dish when he ordered his steak dish and I wasn't crazy about my veggie curry dish. I didn't care for the Lobster bisque either but my husband loved it.

However, what sold us on this restaurant was our amazing waitress. Although young in years, I believe her name was Emily, our waitress was exceptional. She handled our issues with the food with such professionalism and a smile, it made our evening instead of our food disappointments ruining our night.

I don't believe that the food disappointments were totally the fault of the restaurant. The food was excellent. What I would say is that the descriptions of the food need to be more accurate. For example, my veggie curry was described as a stew when I asked what an "avail" was as that wasn't a culinary term I was familiar with. The waitress came back and said it was a vegetable stew. In my world, stew means a broth and liquid. Instead, the dish arrived very dry with no broth. It wasn't anything like I wanted but the chef was fabulous in resolving the issue.

My husband didn't realize that pappardelle was a thick pasta noodle. So that came as a bit of a surprise. So for us, it was lack of a complete description or accuracy of the description that was as much a problem as us obviously not asking enough questions.

Great lessons! However, the waitress was so delightful, that if we lived in the area, we would have definitely gone back for a second run through.

Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Wonderful Local menu”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I really enjoyed my dinner at Gabrieau's. I had the ceasar salad, scallop gnocchi, and a dessert duo of chocolate soufflé and layered chocolate pistachio mousse cake with raspberry crème. This was one of the best meals I had in Nova Scotia. The restaurant is one of the first things you see when you get downtown and I could tell it was the place to be. The staff was wonderful and had great suggestions. The restaurant is nicely and uniquely decorated. This would be a great place for a romantic dinner. They had a nice patio along the main street. The menu features many local delicacies. I had a hard time choosing between several seafood dishes. I am hoping to go back to Nova Scotia next year and I will make sure to return to Gabrieau's!

Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“friendly service”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great menu options and friendly owners. Not sure if sushi fits in with italian/french fare, but I guess fish can't get fresher in Nova Scotia! Execellent vegetarian options.

Visited July 2014
New York City, New York
“Fine Dining in Antigonish”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

A terrific way to end a fun filled family reunion and to celebrate a fiftieth wedding anniversary, dinner at Gabrieau's Bistro. The ambience was perfect, the service was friendly and excellent, and the food and wine delicious. For a small town the diner was way beyond our expectations.