“Gourmet dining with a decent wine list”
Review of Gabrieau's Bistro

Gabrieau's Bistro
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Antigonish
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Long Beach, California
“Gourmet dining with a decent wine list”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This restaurant offers gourmet dining at a not too expensive price. The waiter was friendly and knowledgeable about the wine list and food offerings. The food was well-prepared - salad was crisp and not over-dressed; pasta dish was nice -- to overly sauce and pasta al dente as it should be. The service was a bit slow -- they had a large group in the back dinning area. But, overall this was a nice experience.

• Visited June 2014

Halifax, Canada
“A very good example of very BAD service.”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Starting off I'd like to say that I've loved this restaurant for years, normally going on special occasions since it is a pricey night out. I was looking forward to be wined and dined along with my girlfriends who also LOVE this place. Going to Gabrieau's is believed to be an "experience", and that it certainly was. As a lady who has worked in the service industry for 15 years and has dined in restaurants from the west Coast of US/Canada to Eastern Europe and all in between, I have to say this was by far my most uncomfortable experience. The waiter, whom seemed to have been bothered with our presence made us feel like we were in the way throughout the entire evening (We were a group of 4 ladies who made a reservation a week in advance for a mid week dinner to kick off our summer) What we didn't want was a waiter who was, to put it in honest terms- a complete snob. I could ramble on for a full essay about all the things that went wrong at our dinner but i'll save you all a read and just state the top five.
1) Never, ever, EVER should one have to ask for water (a few times, and still never get it) at a fine dining establishment like this.
2)He slammed every glass down on our table..Including the butter dish, and THREW the bread on our plates. I'm surprised it stayed on the table
3)Sarcasm- when I'm paying $80 for a 3 course meal and a 1/2 litre of wine please do not be a rude, sarcastic snob to me... you're working for tips, are you not?
4)Do not tell us to get up and look at desserts if we want one while you romance them to the table sitting DIRECTLY behind us.
5)Do not bring out desserts for us to stare at while we wait another 7 mins for you to bring us coffee and tea and drop the bills at the same time. Isn't this fine dining?

I have been here dozens of times in the past and never have I been served like this.
He made us feel rushed, unwelcome, and undeserving of his precious time. The food was great- cudos to the kitchen, but that french waiter left us all with a sour taste in our mouth, one that we will never forget. I think it is time to make some adjustments in the front of house if you want your service to match your culinary skills.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank servemeright
Antigonish, Canada
“Gourmet Dining”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The food at this restaurant is awesome. Portions tend to be small and pricy. The atmosphere is just ok.

• Visited February 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Convocation Meal”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

After Convocation ceremonies at St. FX University, we went to Gabrieau's for a celebration diner. The food was excellent and the owner took the time away from the kitchen to visit with patrons on this special night. I highly recommend this establishment in Antigonish for your next dining experience.

Visited April 2014
Sydney, Canada
“Nice ambiance and great value”
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Large menu for the size of the place and I'm sure there must be at least a few items that would suit anyone's tastes. Great value for the meals you receive. Large portions and good quality ingredients yet mid level pricing. You can't go wrong for the value. Friendly waiter who has been there since it opened just adds to the experience. Good choice if you're in the area for sure.

• Visited March 2014