“Fabulous find in Nova Scotia!”
Review of Claymore Inn

Claymore Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Antigonish
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were apprehensive about staying in the Claymore after reading negative comments on line, but we found the negative comments to be totally untrue.
We found the rooms to be be clean, quiet, comfortable and welcoming. We found the staff to be cheerful and accomodating in every way.
As an added bonus, this is a "green" hotel so it's great for people with allergies and safer for children and babies.
The restaurant in the hotel is one of the highest regarded places to eat in town--many locals suggested it to us, and we agree. They are also allergy concious and incredibly accomodating and pleasant.
The hotel is located right in a large shopping center, near several other restaurants and walking distance to downtown Antigonish.
We stayed over a week, and we had 2 rooms, so we feel we had a good look at the place. We highly recommend the Claymore and the restaurant. The staff in both places made all of us (we had 2 rooms) feel at home. Well done.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed one night. Lots of shouting down the corridor at 2.30am and again at 7.30. Room poor. squashed bug in elevator. Not cheap. Avoid if you can.
On the other hand the restaurant was good, both for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank PaulinVence
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am sorry that our performance was not up to standard and especially that you were disturbed by excessive noise by other guests. If you had registered your complaint with the front desk staff at the time, we would have addressed the problems right away and if you were not satisfied with our remedies, you could have taken advantage of our discount policy. With regard to your photograph of the bug on the otherwise clean floor of the elevator, I commend your abilities for close up shots but I think a picture of the problem guest room would have been more helpful for our purposes. Because of your comments the management has undertaken to be more diligent in the room inspection program.

Since your stay with us, I am happy to advise the we have undergone extensive renovations to all of our guest rooms and I hope that you will consider giving us a second chance sometime in the future. Thanking you again for your comments, I remain,

Sincerely

Reviewed April 5, 2011

I recently stayed one night at Claymore for a kids hockey tournament and was charged $129.00 for a room with one queen size bed. Luckily, there was just my 9 yr old son with me . Others guests in the Inn were trying to secure one of four cotts. I was not told by Claymore staff that they attach a security deposit to their room rates and that I would be entitled to a refund assuming we did not damage the property. I found this out later by the manager of my son's hockey team. The kids were instructed they had a 9:30 curfew. At 9:00 pm two elderly people at the end of the hall appeared and started screaming about the noise and then called the local detachment of the RCMP. The teenage girl working the desk was simply not mature enough to be running a hotel. No one on staff informed us of any problems prior to the seniors yelling at us . The mounties came. It was quiet by 9:15 as kids were in their rooms crying, fearful parents were going to jail. In the morning I noticed a flyer at the front desk advertising the Claymore Inn as a hotel and SENIORS apartment. Which are they ? I suspect their loyalty lies with the elderly couple even though we brought twice as much money in one night as their couple does in one month. The problem is the Claymore is the only show in town. Next year I will happily take my money and stay in New Glasgow, satisfied that I am also earning loyaly points from a REAL hotel who is not confused about the service they provide and who their customer is. P.S. There was no damage and no damage deposit refund. The restaurant opens to late in the morning to be of any use. Drive to New Glasgow!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be placed away from tenants
  • Stayed: March 2011
7  Thank crownvic1
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

I regret that these guests left unsatisfied but I would like to take this opportunity to correct a few errors in the comments provided.. The apartment building advertised as being 'ideal for seniors' is a separate structure located one hundred yards away from the main hotel. The elderly guests who phoned the police felt that they were justified in doing so. There was no retention of a damage deposit but rather the team members did not receive a discounted rate because they breached several of the articles of the 'Sports Team Policy' which thy signed in advance. The following is a report submitted by our Guest Service Agent with regard to the incident in question.

“ Earlier in the evening there were children running around and yelling up and down the stairs. I approached them and asked them politely to stop being so loud and explained to them that if they are too noisy their Moms and Dads won't be happy because they won't get their discount. I asked the children where their parents were and they said at the liquor store. They also said they were with the Bedford Blues team. As parents started coming in from the liquor store I heard three men who came in with 2-4's of beer, say,”We'll show them how it's done; the parents get drunk and watch their kids play mini sticks” There were complaints from second floor about noise which I checked immediately but when I checked there was no noise on second floor, it was coming from first floor. When I checked first floor the entire hallway was full of parents drinking and talking loudly and children yelling and playing mini sticks. I approached Mrs. Vardy about the complaints and told her this was totally unacceptable. She responded calmly that they would go into their rooms and it was only early and the kids were just having fun. I returned to the desk after she assured me they would quieten down. Then about five minutes later I received more complaints from second floor threatening to either leave the hotel if the noise did not stop or else they were going to call the police. Then came complaints from first floor indicating that they felt threatened by what they described as absurd noice in their hallway and they said if it wasn't stopped they were going to call the police. I returned to the first floor hallway and there was no change, it may have even gotten louder. I told Mrs. Vardy this was totally unacceptable and that they must enter their rooms with the drinks and stop playing mini sticks. I told her that people were threteaning to call the police. I pretty much had to yell as there was so much noise from the laughing and playing. One lady responded by saying, “Call the police, we don't care”. Guests, not with the team, from first floor told them they were being totally disrespectful of other guests. This caused no change. I repeated that none of this was acceptable behavior and then a guest made me aware that they had called the police. When they heard this they pretty much dispursed. After I returned to the
desk, Mrs. Vardy approached me with the team policy pointing out that quiet time was not until
10 pm. I pointed and read to her the note just below it stating:

“Quiet hours are from 10 pm till 8 am
Excessive noise will not be tolerated any time of the day
Roughhousing, running, yelling, screaming or game playing in halls or stairways will
not be tolerated.
Sticks, bats and balls are not permitted in guest rooms”.
We are still very welcoming of the sports teams who have demonstrated consideration for our other guests.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

It was a nasty winter night so I decided to pull off the highway and treat myself to a night at the Claymore in Antigonish where I could tuck in and enjoy a good meal. On checking in they would not honor any discounts and I have them all - AAA, you name it. The restaurant wqs closed for the night so they directed me to Boston Pizza near by. Not exactly what I had in mind. The room was cold because the thermostat was left at 60 degrees. On closer examination my breakfast coupon was limited to $7. There is a coffee maker in the room but I had to go to the front desk to get a decaf. I brought these things to the attention of the front desk and all I got was a shrug of the sholder.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in February 2011. I do not understand why you were not offered a discount since we give AAA/CAA as well as senior citizens discounts. I apologize if these were not extended to you. I regret that at that time our restaurant was not opened for your breakfast on a Monday morning but we now offer breakfast seven days a week. If you should decide to give us another chance, I am sure you will be pleased with the extensive renovations to our facility since your last stay

Reviewed September 20, 2010

The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable (high praise from a pregnant lady!) Also, it's very conveniently located next to everything you'll need, ie: grocery store. The downfalls - only one key to our room and I could hear every movement of the person in the room above. Over-all, worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I have to say, I had a great stay. The rooms were beautiful and newly renovated, the front desk was super friendly, and the food was delicious! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I was booked to teach workshops in Antigonish, and was booked at the Claymore Inn in Antigonish. Prior to me heading to Antigonish I was trying to find the hotel on line and I did end up on a page with reviews. All of their reviews were very bad; but I thought maybe things have improved and my stay won't be so bad. WRONG THOUGHT.

They were friendly at the front desk and handed me my key to my room. I was optimistic and went to my room on the 3rd floor. It is an older hotel and you can tell that by the carpet etc. When I opened my room and walked in I was greeted by a row of dead flies along the floor by the window and all over the window ledge. I called the front desk to ask them about the flies, and was told. "Oh they must have forgot to get those, let me call housekeeping for you." So, I waited about 10 minutes or so and a housekeeping lady came in with a wet rage and picked up the flies off of the carpet, and then wiped them off the ledge of the window...and left. Soon as she left 2 flies started to fly around the room, I went in the hall to get housekeeping (I am not the best with bugs) She came back in and zapped one with a wet towel, but the other one wasn't around. She came back to the room and gave me a dry dirty rag, and told me to wet it and when the flies come to just hit them with the rag. I was pretty mortified. I asked if there was anything to be done, and the housekeeping said no. I called the front desk and they told me that's just how it was and it was normal. I tried to relax, but to be honest the room was not the cleanest or freshest room and now with the image of dead flies and now live flies; this wasn't working for me.

Then another fly started to buzz around hit the ceiling fly at my head etc...and then a lady bug came out and started to fly around, I killed one bug, then another came, and I realized at this point that there was no way I could stay here and sleep and be comfortable. I was exhausted after my day and the bus ride there. So, I called the desk again and they told me to come and get a key and go and check out another room to see if it was better!!! Not them checking for me but for me to come get a key and check. I did go to another room but I decided to call the company that brought me here to present. I told them the situation and they told me they would find me somewhere else to stay; and they did. I was in my hotel room for a total of one hour before leaving. I checked out and went to a very nice and comfy bed and breakfast on Main Street. It was clean bright and wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Imani W
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I wish to offer my sincere apologies to this guest. The situation relative to his complaint is inexcusable. I am especially disappointed that our staff failed to adequately address his concerns at the time. Obviously the replacement of effective screening was long overdue. Since his stay in 2009, I am pleased to advise that our property has undergone extensive renovations including the installation of all new windows and screens. Regretfully,