“We liked it and can recommend it”
Review of Dragonfly Inn

Dragonfly Inn
Ranked #17 of 19 Annapolis Royal B&B and Inns
Basel, Switzerland
“We liked it and can recommend it”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Very nice and clean rooms, great breakfast with local products. Great hospitality. Good walking distances to the fort and village center.

1 Thank Stefan_972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The Dragonfly Inn is a wonderful base from which to explore the whole Annapolis Royal region. Several highlights (Fort Anne, Historic Gardens, bird sanctuary, excellent eateries, etc.) are all within walking distance of the Inn; everything else is just a short drive away. We stayed in the Coach House for two nights. Our room was more than adequate for the stay: beds were comfy, bathroom roomy, TV, coffee maker - what else do you need? The breakfast room/studio is really quite unique. A simple continental breakfast is enjoyed in the company of other guests. Nothing to write home about, but sufficient to get you going in the morning. Great hosts and hospitality. In sum, a very fine accommodation!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Unlike the artificial pseudo-museums in town, this experience was uniquely warm and hospitable. The rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated with a great selection of magazines, a fantastic collection of DVDs available in the comfortable living room. The suite was immaculate with a very comfortable bed, high-quality bedding and a modern and tasteful bathroom. The breakfast was beautiful and unique (raspberry loaf with maple syrup and yogurt! Strawberry crepes with chocolate curls! mimosas!) and the hosts were friendly and engaging. Great location - close to downtown - and a perfect set-up for anyone interested in an active holiday. We were able to store our bikes in the studio, and bike from there right to Port Royal. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite - perfect for a couple.
4 Thank LisaMargaret
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2011

After looking at the Dragonfly Inn website, my husband and I decided to stay in the Shorebird suite. Although the website shows the B&B well and is easy to use, the room looks even BETTER in person. The Inn is very beautifully designed with lovely antiques and cozy, high end bedding. The bed was so comfy with a feather top mattress! The suite has a little sitting room with a flat screen tv with full cable. There are also dvds you can watch. One perk to the shorebird suite is the en-suite bathroom. It comes complete with a deep bath tub, but no shower, but your here to relax. So take a bath and relax! On the topic of water, the new owners , Wes and Jenna cleverly installed a big hot tub in the back yard. A wonderful finishing touch to the beautiful outdoor space at the Dragonfly which is well maintained and filled with gorgeous flowers and big trees.
The breakfast was so good and huge! If you have a small appetite, make sure you tell Wes. I felt so bad I couldn't finish the three crepes that were stuffed with whiskey soaked bananas and topped with icing sugar and whipped cream. Wes is a fabulous cook and made everything from scratch!
We would suggest this Inn if you like children and dogs as Jenna and Wes have two small children and two small dogs. We love both so it works for us, but wouldn't be for everyone.
We really enjoyed our stay, Wes and Jenna are great hosts, would stay again!

3 Thank travelrabbit29
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We booked the Dragonfly originally because my husband has a broken leg and the Carriage House would be easy for him to get around. What a happy treat that we ended up getting so much more from our visit. Wes and Jenna (and the boys) were lovely and so accommodating. The grounds were stunning. The rooms clean and beautifully appointed. I was delighted that the bed was so comfortable. And to top it off the breakfast that Wes made for us knocked my socks off. The Dragonfly is located within walking distance of everything and the Roy family can be guaranteed that will be coming back again and again!

2 Thank GilsWife
Nova Scotia Tourist
Reviewed June 12, 2011

After staying at the Dragonfly under the previous management, I was very disappointed. I stayed for 3 nights in the Coach House. On the afternoon I checked in, I was promised that the advertised air conditioner would be installed that day or the following morning, but it was not. The kitchenette area was definitely not clean; the drawer in the fridge had some sort of red juice or jelly in it, and the shelves were not clean. Some of the cutlery and glasses appeared to have been used by the previous tenant, and put back in the cupboard unwashed. There was a plastic sheet under the bedding that crinkled with every move. The second night I returned about 3PM to change for dinner, and was greeted with "What are you doing here? I was going to make up your room." The Inn had been almost empty the previous night; 3 PM seemed a bit late to be making beds. At the same time, I was given the complementary Chronicle Herald morning paper, and informed that if I wasn't going to read it, I could return it to the office, unread, for a 58 cent refund (??!) I was asked to move my car, which was parked in front of my room, because they wanted to squish 4 cars into the three available parking spots. It should be noted that one of the cars belonged to the owners, and could have easily been parked elsewhere. The third night, I was again asked to move my car, because the owners son, approximate age 3 years, wanted to play where my car was parked - in front of my room. If I chose not to move it, he would possibly scratch it. I was tempted to ask why it was easier to inconvenience a guest, than to train a 3 year old, and also, why he was playing in the parking lot! I inquired about the missing air conditioner, but was told it wasn't hot, and I didn't need it. When I returned from my evening walk, Wes had entered my room while I was out and installed the air conditioner. Perhaps the B&B portion of the property does a better job, because as Jenna says of the Inn in another review "it is after all a motel', which seems to be justification for the poor hospitality. There was nothing relaxing about this stay, between the missing air conditioner, the dirty room, and the inconvenient parking. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Front rooms noisy; back rooms up steep stairs.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank novascotiaquilter
drgnflyinn, Owner at Dragonfly Inn, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
I am sincerely sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I must admit I should have mentioned our dog-room-entering policy. The girls don’t tidy the room with animals as to avoid possible un-friendly dogs. So I took the opportunity to do so while you were present.

I am also sorry that you found some of our decisions not to your liking. When you returned on the Saturday I thought I would hand deliver your paper to you, instead of let it sit outside in the possible rain that was threatening that morning. I am also required by the paper to inform you of the refund. It is their requirement of us so we may provide that service to you.

Due to unusually low and falling yearly temperatures for June we decided not to put in the A/C despite the fact that Wes mentioned he would install one after a sunny day. After you notified Wes “an A/C would have been nice”, like promised, it was installed within 5 minutes. Now that was good service!

Guests will be happy to note the problem of parking so close to your room that we can’t walk by has been resolved. Guests will be delighted to find we have put up a barrier so that other guests can walk to their rooms comfortably. This being the less polite reason for asking you to move your car. We thought you might be more sympathetic to a possible scratch on your car versus stating you were parked too close to the building. We have staff and guests that pass by there. We were trying to avoid accidents all around. Please keep in mind this is our home/residence and not a high traffic parking slab.
Olds, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My first trip to Nova Scotia, booked the Dragonfly Inn after viewing it on line. What a treat to drive up to the well manicured yard and warm greeting from Wes and Jenna. They truly enjoy their home and the surrounding area and were very helpful in directing me to wherever I asked. Stayed in the Loft and felt spoiled as it had all the amenities I could ask for. The fresh, homemade breakfasts were fabulous. What a treat, will definately go back when I'm in the area again.

Room Tip: friendly, clean, cozy stay with fabulous breakfast
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends