Hillsdale House Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Annapolis Royal Inn(Annapolis Royal)
Hedley House(Smith's Cove)
Basinview Motel(Smith's Cove)
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewsval and paulnova scotiab bhomemade muffinshistoric gardensbreakfast was deliciouswithin walking distancebeautiful propertyfort annetwo nightsclaw foot tubfeel at homemade us feelcomfortable roomstayed one nightwhale watchingfour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The fragrance from the beauty bush set the tone as you walked through the door. A beautiful inn with grand staircase, large rooms and nice touches. The four poster bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was large and very clean and the room tastefully decorated. Breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CelticExplorer
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My wife and I took our two girls (ages 11 and 4) on a low-key vacation to Nova Scotia. We knew that kids and B&Bs often don't mix, but there aren't great options other than B&Bs in some of the best places in Nova Scotia. My research indicated that Hillsdale House was reasonably family friendly, and we found that to be the case upon arrival.

We were in a suite that had a bed, comfortable pull-out couch and an adequate bathroom for four. We had plenty of room to be comfortable, though there was so much to do in the area that we spent little time in the room.

Breakfast was excellent, even for my picky-eating children. The hosts made us feel very welcomed, and our children were comfortable there. The girls enjoyed playing in the ample yard.

I would not recommend Hillsdale House for families with larger (meaning older) children as the sofa bed might not be so comfortable.

The area was full of attractions that worked for adults and children. The tidal generating station was a real hit for my 11-year-old. Both children enjoyed the fort (not the history as much as playing on the earthworks). The historic gardens were incredible.

One bad item that has nothing to do with Hillsdale House: We drove down to Brier Island for whale watching one day. Two hour drive. Four hours on a boat. Lots of fog. Five seconds of a whale sighting. Looked remarkably like a porpoise. One very seasick wife. If I were going again, I'd find another way to fill that day.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I came to this one expecting a bit of a letdown after several nights at the spectacular Blomidon Inn in Wolfville, but Hillsdale House was just as gorgeous and just as great a place to stay, in a smaller and more intimate way. The house is bright and airy, with gleaming wood floors and original Victorian floral wallpaper. The rooms are smallish but immaculate and charming, with views over the park-like grounds to the river.

Val and Paul were great, too. They were welcoming and helpful without being at all overbearing, and we totally clicked over the wonderful pets and animal-friendly atmosphere. It seems to be the kind of place that draws other interesting, vivacious guests, and I ended up spending more than an hour chatting with them and our hosts over the enormous and delicious waffle breakfast. (Next time I'll ask for a half-order!)

Other B&Bs in Annapolis Royal looked nice enough--I checked out two others before settling at Hillsdale House--but if I ever go back, there's no question that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Second visit in two consecutive years!

Service, welcome and facilities every bit as superb as last year,
perhaps even slightly better :-)

Would recommend this Inn to anyone who likes superb surroundings and wonderful breakfasts with great hosts.

Paul & Maureen.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 14, 2008

I really enjoyed my visit at Hillsdale House. Paul and Val are very warm hosts/innkeepers. The Inn has beautifully decorated rooms and the sense of history is very real. Breakfast was delicious. Annapolis Royal offers much to see and do.

I hope to return again later this year and see the huge gardens and grounds in full boom.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo