“Gorgeous building, lovely owners”

Hillsdale House Inn
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stopped here for two nights in Sept 2011, beautiful house felt good value for money and nice to stay somewhere with character. Warmly welcomed , great breakfast would have liked to stop longer. In the town can recommend seeing the gardens which were wonderful even late in the year but do not go out onto the embankment if you do not like mozzies. Ate both nights and one lunch at Ye Olde Town Inn which may not look much from the outside but food was delicious and reasonable. Must try the Rappie Pie or the steak anbd strip

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I traveled here with my mother, sister and young adult son (23). We reserved our stay at this inn because everything in Digby was booked. We were pleasantly surprised by the unexpected quaintness and luxury of this beautiful inn and the surrounding town. The breakfast was delicious, the grounds beautiful and the atmosphere peaceful and relaxing. We enjoyed the gardens and walking around the naval fort. All in all, a superb value - highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank happyinboston
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Annapolis Royal is a wonderful and unique village. There is so much to see and experience that you need to spend a few days in the area. There is no better inn to base yourself than Hillsdale House. It is a gracious old building set back from the street on rambling lawns that overlook the Annapolis Basin. The best thing about it is that the owners Val and Paul really get what hospitality is about. As a bike tour operator with Eastwind Cycle I have had the pleasure of bringing groups to the inn for many years with never a hitch and have always been made to feel like a welcome friend. There is a great variety of rooms from sumptuous to simple. Breakfast has been almost exactly the same for many years but why mess with perfection?

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hillsdale House Inn for our anniversary weekend. This was my first B&B/Inn type experience, and it was great. We had a very nice room (room four, I think), and were greeted warmly by Val and Paul who apologized in advance for a function that night which might have gotten loud. When we booked they had a special for dinner up the street at the Garrison House, so we strolled up, walked around the fort, and went for a great dinner there. Returning late in the evening, the party was in full swing, but in our room we had no idea, it was pleasant and quiet.

Breakfast was fantastic, we sat next to a family I learned were Swiss touring Canada, and my terrible German helped us get to know them - I think it was probably the best breakfast I've had in a long time.

Our stay was a great value in a beautiful little town. I'll happily return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed 3 days at The Hillsdale House Inn and just loved the beautiful guest rooms, sitting rooms and grounds. Our hosts were very friendly and gave us a great deal of information about the town and things to see. The breakfasts were delicious and the presentation was beautiful. We enjoyed looking at all the antiques as The Hillsdale House Inn lived up to our image of what an historic and beautiful bed and breakfast is. The Inn and Annapolis Royal were the perfect place to spend our 40th anniversary and we would recommend it to everyone. The only suggestion would be to put a grab bar near the bathtub in Room 1 to help getting in and out of the tub.

Room Tip: Travelers who are elderly or have physical challenges should chose a room with a stand up shower and...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We spent 2 nights in October at your beautiful Hillsdale House Inn and really enjoyed ourselves. The room was full of antiques and immaculate...the bed very comfortable.. and the service excellent. Also, within walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go. I would definitely recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I was traveling in Nova Scotia and stayed in the Hillsdale House Inn. A lovely place with beautiful grounds, a large historic B @ B, and warm hosts that made you feel right at home. The room was clean comfortable and had everything I needed. The breakfast the next morning was magificent with the best French Toast I have ever eaten in 50 plus years of living. They also told me about places to go locally and a candlelight cemetery historic tour, that was just great. I would recommend them highly. In fact I would say if in Annapolis this is the only place I would stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo