“Pastry dropped and handed to me! no no no....”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
German Bakery & Garden Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Annapolis Royal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pastry dropped and handed to me! no no no....”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I am new to the area and visited the bakery a few times. Their pastry is a little high priced but worth having once in a blue moon, only because of the price otherwise I would have it at least every week.

Their service is usually good but not exceptional as there seems to be just 1 person doing most of the waiting and cashing. I have had breakfast there with my wife and really enjoyed their pastry when fresh. The sandwich was good but nothing to rave about.

I went recently with a visiting friend and boasted of how good the pastry is.

I ordered an item which was put into a brown bag for take away. As soon as it was bagged it was dropped, an honest mistake. However the young lady who dropped it then assumed I did not realise, (since she bagged it behind the main pastry counter), and visibly glanced at someone inside the kitchen area who I could not see then proceeded to hand me the dropped pastry.

Now I know it may have been in a bag and possibly not touched the ground but there was NO acknowledgement of it being dropped neither an apology nor replacement of with a fresh pastry. I still continued and got some bread and another treat hoping that she would eventually admit her mistake but at the end of my transaction no such luck.

In the food industry this is a definite NO, and worse yet for a returning and previously loyal customer. I have chosen to no longer patronise and if the owners are reading this you would know why so please don't let it happen again to anyone. It is better to lose the cost of one pastry than to lose a returning customer.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank James R

Nova Scotia
“Lousy service and microwaved schnitzel....sad..”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stopped into this place hoping for a decent bite to eat...the waitress ignored us while she gave some other guests German lessons...after some wait we were served schnitzel on a bun...microwaved and soggy..the bread was lovely. This is the sort of thing I would expect after years of service and burnout, but they had a grand opening sign on their door so this level of service was showing a serious lack of pride. Potato salad or sauerkraut as a side dish to this was $5.50...I was tempted to order it to find out what could make it so costly..but I didn't. When I got up to pay I stood behind the waitress at the cash while she spent about 7 minutes making a cafe late or some such thing she could not master...she then walked out to the patio to socialize with more guests...the kitchen staff came out twice seeing me standing there then went out to find her. By this time I was a little more than pissed as she cheerfully ran my debit card.....The service is horrible...the food edible....although I will say that their bakery goods looked very good but I didn't want to drop another dime in this place after eating the sandwich...Oh and their guest book on the counter was filled with wonderful endorsements in German and English...all written with the same handwriting...not a good sign folks!

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank wishingwell24
Lincolnshire, England
“Apple Strudel!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Apple Strudel they serve is just delicious. Especially warmed and with ice-cream. The downside is that it is a bit expensive,

Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant Food, quality bakery goods.”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I just spent 3 days in the area and ate 5 meals here. As a British tourist i can say this is authentic comfort european home cooking of a high quality.The potato salad is excellent and the warm sourkraut is a treat (all 5 times!) . I had the sausage several times and the stew both as a main course and a starter as a soup. Sit outside and have a water view or inside in the restaurant. I always had a pastry to finish and one for the morning! Apparently they were 10 years in the Historic Gardens but had to move so they are settling down with their systems in this better location. This is good honest food. I didnt think it was too expensive and the quality was 100%. OK they have a lot of garden chairs but as they moved from the GARDENS thats to be expected i suggest... eh? Its not 5 star world decor but 4 start brand new. Other local restaurants are fine and should be looked at but i found this one and was very impressed.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank brianbluebird
Canberra Australia
“Great pastries, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We kept coming back to this place for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea because of its pastries, coffee and authentic german style.

Visited June 2012