“Don't stay here!! Smug, rude owners, ants, small sites, extra fees...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Annapolis Royal
The Cove Oceanfront Campground
Halifax, Canada
“Don't stay here!! Smug, rude owners, ants, small sites, extra fees...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This had to be the worst camping experience I have ever had and I've I camped on an island with no toilet/outhouse, running water, electricity or connection with the outside world while seabirds crapped on your head (oh, those were the days).

We were greeted by someone who must have been the owner (that's what we'll call her from now on). She immediately pulled out the contract and got us to sign it, charged us for the remainder of the stay, then came out the list of fees and rules most of which were not listed on their website. From what I recall, it's illegal to make someone sign a contract before you present it in it's entirity. This is when we saw the list of additional fees, other reviews have been quite extensive on this point so I won't drone on about that. We were already starting to feel like the straws were piling up and we hadn't even left the office.

We got to our site and could not believe that we were being charged $40/night for a strip of half dead grass that was no bigger than three parking spots, and afforded no view of the ocean. Before we were to set up we decided to take a bathroom break and discovered that for the whole campground there were only two showers and you had to pay to use them. This was the straw that made us take a trip to the office.

The owner greeted us again, and we voiced our displeasure with the size of our site, lack of view and the cost of hot water. Her reply was that we could change sites but our complaint about the showers was somehow irrelevant because it was only $0.50. She was very smug and made it sound like we were cheap to complain. We told the owner it wasn't the price but the principle pf the situation. To charge us $40 for the site was one thing, but to nickle and dime us for showers (and all of the other fees and expenses), that was rediculous. We asked if we could get our second night refunded and she got a look on her face like the Grinch when he was stealing Christmas, and pointed at the sign behind us that there were no refunds. Deciding to make the best of a bad situation, we went back to our site and broke out the tent. That is when were realized why the grass was dead, the place where we needed to put out tent had a hole in the ground, out of which was pouring hundreds of drone ants.

That was enough for us, we packed it back in with a plan to tell the owner exactly what we thought. We met her speeding into the campground on a golf cart, we pulled her over and told her how we did not appreciate the light that she was portraying for Nova Scotia, that her smug rude attitude and nickle and dime policies were shameful for my home province. She asked me where I was from and proceeded to tell me to go back there and sped off before we could inform her why we were not staying. I can't believe that in this day in age someone would try to pull this kind of racket and still stay in business with all of the accolades they claim.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Prospecting_Maniacs

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at the Cove a few weeks ago and had a fabulous weekend. It is the most peaceful and beautiful campground we have ever stayed at. If you enjoy bumper to bumper people, cheap sites, rowdy parties, then this is not the place for you. If you enjoy beautiful scenery, quiet evenings, immaculate well groomed sites, then this is most definitely the place for you.

Its cliche, I know, but you get what you pay for....and although you will pay more to stay here, it's worth every penny. We are headed back to the Cove tonight for the Labour Day weekend and are staying in a large lot in our travel trailer right on the water. The ONLY reason I would like to be a tenter, is that they have the most beautiful secluded ocean front lots for tents. But alas, im not, and will likely never be a tenter ;) So Ill pay for my serviced beautiful lot and enjoy the peace that the Cove offers.

Room Tip: Water Front sites are worth every penny.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My daughter and I spent three nights at the campground in July. Sites were clean, immaculately groomed and quiet. We had a lovely stay climbing on the rocks and watching the Bay of Fundy come in and out. Sunsets were great! My daughter had fun in the pool and met some kids from a neighboring tent site. Staff was friendly and helpful, we will definitely return for that ocean view!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SimplyMing1988
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I must say I booked our 3 night stay here a few months back and did not read the review until a week before my trip. I was shocked to see so many bad reviews, and almost changed our plans. Boy am I glad I didn't. We are a family of 4, with our kids being 7 and 13years. We reserved one of the beautiful tented sites right on the ocean. What a view!! On low tide the kids could run about the ocean floor collecting all kinds of fascinating artifacts, and the sunsets were brilliant.
The price of the tent sites was reasonable, as we usually camp at provincial parks/ Canada parks, the washrooms were very clean, as were all the full grass sites, and the pool was warm and clean. The kids loved it, and my husband ( a non-camper) loved it as well. We were not charged anything extra other than for wood (this was over priced) but delivered directly to our site for us. The kids playground was great with a huge climber, and boardgames were available in the game room. Yes it does take $0.50 for the shower, but again it was clean, and the shower was a full force shower not a dribble. The laundry was actually underpriced compared to where we had done ours at another facility.
The owners were very helpful and we along with another couple that camped next to us, absolutely loved it. I am not sure what these other people were looking for in a campground but it was by far the best we have stayed in. I can't speak for the RV sites, but for tenters, this place is a must, but do pay the little more for the ocean view!

Room Tip: We stayed at site 81.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tonibr82
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We travel to the every year for the past three years. We camp. We most often stay for 5 nights. The sites are big, right next to the shore. At night we hear the water slapping against the rocks. In the early morning, sometimes very early, you can hear the fishing/lobster boats going out. Parker's Cove is a working harbour and it is very close. That means fresh fish and lobster are just a short walk away. We have become accustomed to the familiar wildlife on the sea - a seal comes by every morning with the changing tide, as do two porposes and often the bald eagle which always causes a comotion among the water fowl. We know when the eagle is in the area because the loons let out a warning call. This year I watched a minK (I think it was a mink?) fish and return close to our campsite with a mouthful of crab. I have wonderful pictures of that. We always have a small rabbit stay in the bushes of our camp so I see it every morning when I rise. It is so peaceful. Everything in this campsite is spotless clean. Our neighbours have always been quiet. The hosts are so pleasant and accommodating. I have never stayed at a better campground. We are already booked for next year, for 11 days. There is no place like it. I highly recommend it.

1 Thank Dale S
Carleton Place
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked (4) nights and I did tell them at the time of booking that we might have to leave one night early. No problem on the phone, but a different story on arrival. The sites are very short - first time we've had trouble fitting in a site with a 28ft motorhome. I was told on the phone that kayaking from the campground would not be a problem...well if your willing to cross some pretty treacherous rocks then not too bad. The kayaking was the only reason we went there.

The fees. Some how a $39.95 site for 4 nights cost $207.00. There certainly are some hidden fees. The wood was $9.50 for (8) pieces.

They were helpful, and the campground is clean, but there really is little to do for children. There is a play area and a pool but nothing else.

They bill it as the perfect place to use as a base for touring, but it's over the mountain, so if that's what your looking for it's very expensive.

I have to wonder what kind of financial circumstances they are in that they don't give refunds or let you reduce the number of days your staying. when I booked on line I said four, when we got there and registered circumstances had changed so we needed to leave a day early..to bad so sad. You booked it you pay for it.

The campground was almost empty for the time we were there and it was in the peak vacation time, I think that says it all!

5 Thank SidT

Travelers are raving about these Annapolis Royal hotels

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Oceanfront Campground is a great place to stay, the staff our very friendly, the camping offers amazing ocean views, it is very quit , the campground is very clean, they also have a nice clean pool, I would recommend this campground , and great weather by the sea.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Annapolis Royal
Hedley House
Hedley House
#1 of 2 in Smith's Cove
Mountain Top Cottages & Campground
Mountain Top Cottages & Campgrou...
#1 of 4 in Granville Ferry
A Seafaring Maiden Bed and Breakfast
Millyard Recreation
Millyard Recreation
#1 of 1 in Bear River

Been to The Cove Oceanfront Campground? Share your experiences!