“perfect small plates”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
San Antonio, Texas
“perfect small plates”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We had a large lunch and chose this restaurant because we were told that they had wonderful small plates. The small plates were perfect. Two of us had the slow roasted cauliflower salad. The combination of cauliflower with pine nuts, aioli, and very small croutons. One guest had scallops with a cranberry sauce and flash fried parsnip chips…a great combination. Finally, the vichyssoise was incredibly smooth. I'm curious to know how the chef was able to keep the potato from being gritty. We topped it off with a shared lemon ice cream with a pistachio bed and a dusting of cayenne. Great meal.

• Visited May 2014
FrontandCentral, Owner at Front and Central, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your time spent at my restaurant. The secret to my vichyssoise; I use a 70-30 mix of potato-celeriac in base recipe. I find it really helps smooth out the soup and adds richness without using allot of cream.
Thanks again,

-Chef Dave Smart

Halifax, Canada
“Great food, but....”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I so wanted to give a really good review of this place! I'm hoping I will the next time I visit. My first impression was that it lacked a little warmth... maybe some fresh flowers on the tables might help warm the place up. The water glasses were really spotty! I didn't really feel like drinking a glass of water poured into a spotted glass. The server was nice, but didn't really try to get to know us at all. He should have asked questions like where are you from, what brought you to our restaurant? something anything would have been nice. My biggest upset was the condition of the menu!! It was filthy! Stained and wrinkled. Not a great way to make a first impression. I actually took a picture of the menu, but out of respect...I won't post it. The food was very good! Hats off to the Chef!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank fredie657
Thank you for taking your time for sharing your thoughts. We have a strict policy on polishing glasses, cutlery, and stem wear as well as the publication of fresh crisp menus at Front & Central. I appreciate you letting me know that some may have slipped through the cracks. I will personally look into the matter.

-Chef Dave Smart
“Very tasty food. ”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Like the smoked tomato soup and lobster thing. But the chicken breast tastes a bit strange for me and my girlfriend.

1 Thank Aven X
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Tasty food but disappointing portion size and ambience”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I ate here with my family at the end of my visit to the area. We arrived around 8pm and there was ony 1 other table present. After working out the slightly confusing menu of 'small and large plates' I made my choice of two small plates and a side. The service was good but there was just no atmosphere. I almost felt uncomfortable, especially when the other table left and it was just us on our own. Our first course arrived and I had a delicious seafood chowder made with sweet potato instead of traditional white potato. The food was full if flavour, however the portion size made it seem more like a jus to put on a piece of meat then a bowl of soup. Next my scallops came which were tasty but again the portion was minuscule. I enjoyed the food I ate but left feeling hungry and a little disappointed at having paid so much for what I received.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Simplynufc
FrontandCentral, Owner at Front and Central, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
I appreciate your thoughts and hope you enjoyed your time in the beautiful Annapolis Valley. The ‘small plates’ menu has been designed such that 3 to 4 plates would be equivalent to a traditional appetizer-main course. We chose this format as a way to increase the enjoyment of the dining experience, allowing the dinner to experience more flavors, textures, combinations, etc. More recently we have added a large plate option for more traditional dining experience. We do truly value the feedback we receive on TripAdvisor; thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Halifax, Canada
“Just great”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Five stars all the way. Just one thing to add to all the other superlatives you've read here: instead of the usual starter/entree combo, we opted for a selection of their small dishes (starters and sides), almost as if it was a tapas bar. So yummy.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank LightYear_12
FrontandCentral, Owner at Front and Central, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at Front & Central.
Come back and visit us anytime!

Thanks,