“awesome food!”

Dining options: Late Night
prescott
“awesome food!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The food quality is extra good, along with a nice atmosphere and good service. I was with my 2 teenage children and they enjoyed it too. The cost may be a bit higher than maybe a franchise type but you can taste the quality difference.

Visited March 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Great atmosphere and menu. Try the cabbage salad - HUGE portion and it's absolutely delicious. Both floors are nice, but try and get upstairs. It's cozy and intimate.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank ayoungvoice
Wolfville, Canada
“A VERY personal experience”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Upstairs, charming setting – cozy old world pub you can still find in London or Amsterdam – charming service, not-much-to-talk-about food, unpleasant management, sour experience, bad aftertaste.

We're recently transplanted locals, three years. We wanted lunch at Troy, a new Turkish eatery in Wolfville, on Remembrance Day. It was closed. So a few steps up Elm Street to the corner of Main and The Library Pub, where we’d had an unremarkable meal once before, maybe three years ago. Upstairs to “the pub," described above. There, sitting at the compact bar, we were pleased to find Adam, who waits at Troy – a knowledgeable foody who’s done the rounds serving at Wolfville eateries high and low. Things must be OK here, we thought.

A beer and bourbon enthusiast, I went directly to the bar to check out the brew selections. Excellent! “Even more downstairs,” I was informed. I was attracted by two IPA’s, Garrison Imperial and Hell Bay. Not having tried it before I opted for the Hell Bay, a half pint, please. Waitress goes for a glass then suddenly hesitates, turns and, with an affable and apologetic smile, “Sorry, we don’t serve small glasses of Hell Bay.” Fine, I said I’d have a half-pint of the Garrison, no problem. Again a glance to the side, again that quirky smile and, again, “Sorry, we don’t serve small glasses of Garrison.”

I explained that my preference is to drink beer in small glasses so I can savour it cold to the last drop. I don’t gulp. They had half-pint glasses, what for? Oh, I could have a half-pint of Keith’s IPA, a commercial, mass-produced, which is fine if you pour and down. The owner, Drew McNeill, who I realized was the youngish dark haired man standing at the bar, won’t have it. My wife asked that we leave. I said I’d gladly have a half pint of the Keith’s and a double of neat bourbon, which, not a popular spirit in Nova Scotia, they surprisingly have. Not wanting to stick around for long, we ordered nachos. Cheerful and, I guess, relieved, off she went to fill our order.

Overcooked and dry, spattered with what I can only assume was some sort of processed cheese derivative, our nachos arrived. We ate, I enjoyed another round of bourbon and Keith’s, paid, tipped a little extra to show no hard feelings towards the server and left, never to return.

Patronize at your own risk. For us it’s forever Paddy’s, where we are happily valued regulars, management offers Jim Beam for my pleasure, I have my own, private, house-provided Jim Beam double shot-glass, and I delight in constantly filled, chilled 4-ounce.minis of their magnificent “homemade” brews; it’s Joe’s, always welcoming and cordial and Port Pub in nearby Port Wiliams with it’s lavish lobster benedicts, home brews to rival Paddy’s, friendly staff and glorious view of the Cornwallis River at all tides.

Lesson: Uncaring hosting, unaccommodating management = bad taste, bad business.

Recommendation: Andrew Carnegie's “How to Make Friends and Influence People, “ still in print or quit the service industry.

Briefly back to Adam’s unexpected presence: that charming waitress appears to be his “better half.”

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Bob C
Nobel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Good food, good service. Friendly staff who seemed genuinely interested in providing good service. Salads were great but maybe a bit too big??

Visited October 2013
Kentville, Canada
“Not for me”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I stopped in for a lunch date, the food was good, but for what we paid it should have been exceptional. We were upstairs and the space felt crowded, we had a group of sales people nearly on top of us which made it hard to hold a conversation.

• Visited October 2013