“Room smelled like smoke” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Old Orchard Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wolfville
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Room smelled like smoke”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Old Orchard Inn is extremely dated and due for a major makeover/renovation including the furniture in the rooms. The room smelled as though it had seen years of smoking with no attempt to air it out. The hotel is also not within walking distance of the main street of Wolfville as it was nice out and we would have liked to walk to dinner.

I would recommend getting one of the B&B's in town as opposed to staying at the Old Orchard Inn (as recommended by the previous reviewer) however if you did have to stay here, I would recommend booking in advance to avoid getting a room that overlooks the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Halifax
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I'm not a picky traveller; I've travelled to lots of places in Canada and Europe, and I've stayed in some pretty sketchy rooms. But I have to admit that I expected more from this self-styled "resort and spa". Get a B&B in town, or drive the extra few minutes out of town and stay at a chain motel.

First off, the room brochure states that most rooms are equipped with ergonomic chairs. Mine wasn't; in fact, the seat of my upholstered desk chair had collapsed and was most uncomfortable to sit in, especially since I had two days of computer work to take care of. When I inquired at the front desk, I was told that they didn't have ergonomic chairs, but they did get me a chair from the banquet hall. No better. I ended up sitting on the upholstered easy chair in the room, which I had to cover with a bath towel since it was so covered in dust that I had a crazy allergy attack just sitting in it.

The A/C in the room is anemic; we had it on full blast all night long and it still never cooled off much, which is odd considering it was only about 21 deg C outside. We didn't sleep much anyway; the queen size bed in our room was incredibly creaky and it was tough to find a comfortable position. I tested the pullout couch the morning we left; I should have slept on that instead.

The bathroom was incredibly tiny and awkward to navigate. Lots of hot water, though. Towels are small and getting a little threadbare.

The pool area isn't bad, but the hot tub had an unbelievable toxic smell to it. The wife and I tried to enjoy the hot tub but had to bail, gasping for air. Plus most of the jets in the tub don't work. The sauna has seen better days as well; there are quite a few protruding nailheads in the floor, seats, and walls. Towels left on chairs in the pool area were still sitting in the exact same spot when I went for a swim the next day. Ew.

It rained heavily the second night we were there; the pool roof leaked like a sieve (although I guess if you're going to the pool, you're not concerned about getting wet! Ha!).

We had breakfast both days in the hotel; the eggs benedict are mouthwatering. But I checked out the dinner menu and their prices, and we agreed that eating in town (or at the delectable Port Pub) was a much better deal.

The decor is dated. Perhaps it appeals to an older demographic, but the kitch in the dining hall is a little overwhelming. Try to sit by the windows; the rest of the dining hall is pretty dark.

I would hope that in the future they put a little more effort into maintaining the hotel; at 7:30 am I walked past the reception area on my way to breakfast, and the lady at the desk was very busy with her game of computer solitaire. Perhaps less computer solitaire and more attention to the details of the hotel would at least earn three stars from me.

Room Tip: You can request late checkout until 1pm with no charge; after that, it's a $50 charge.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Wolfville hotels

Lunenburg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We reserved a cabin for this past Saturday night at The Old Orchard Inn as our kids were in a soccer tournament. Checked in that afternoon, quick refresh, off to more soccer.
We returned later that evening about 10pm and were getting the kids ready for bed.

At some point one of our kids got out of bed that’s when we noticed something on the sheet.

Upon further investigation, that something turned out to be “droppings” of some small animal. (We have had a few hamsters over the years, trust me when I tell you; there was no doubt about what it was).

Horrified, we contacted the front desk. The lady was very helpful, sincere, and did her best to appease us by offering to move us. Moving us wasn’t the issue, I would have assumed all the rooms were “dropping” free, wasn’t confident moving us would make me feel any better. Further, I was so disgusted all I wanted to do was leave, one child was crying, the rest were um….upset.

The next morning, both the experienced front counter person and the trainee were very apologetic and did in fact listen as we expressed just how disappointed and disgusted we were. They nodded attentively as we tried to maintain our composure about subjecting ourselves to potential health hazards.

Again, the front counter ladies don’t clean the rooms, its’ not THEIR fault, and they did say they would bring it up with the housekeeping supervisor. Then, the experienced person wholeheartedly apologized (and in my opinion was very sincere), and told us for our inconvenience was going to take $25 off of our stay.

Really.

I travel a lot with my job, spent 106 nights in hotels in 2012, 56 so far in 2013. In all my years traveling, I’ve never had a more unpleasant experience. We will never stay at this hotel again nor will it be a recommendation. We took pictures and video to evidence experience and to say we are disappointed is an understatement. This isn’t something I had hoped to see from such an established NS business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GreenJT
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I had a delightful visit to the Valley and the Old Orchard has always been a reliable place for comfort and beauty.
The Dining Room has been a favorite of mine going back years, not only for the delicious food with its presentation but the ambiance of white tablecloths with the huge fireplace makes for a nice relaxing meal. The panoramic view of the Valley makes a lovely backdrop.
The hotel staff could not have been more helpful, from finding directions to their pleasant greetings.
The room was very clean and comfortable; the white bedding is always an impressive feature.

Good luck and we look forward to staying with you next time we come to the Valley.

Kathryn Crane-Thielen
Florida resident

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kentville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This past weekend we had our Bell Aliant Pioneer Reunion. This was the 73rd annual reunion and one of the best. It rained very hard during the reunion and I thought that would dampen the spirits but it certainly did not. The staff at the Old Orchard helped us so much by their caliber of service I think everyone forgot about the rain. The meals were exceptional and the staff tremendous!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are magnificent!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We have just left the lovely Old Orchard Inn and Spa and it is so serene and peaceful there. The view is magnificent and the closeness to some wonderful wineries is very helpful. The food in the restaurant is great but what makes it so pleasant is the staff and how they treat you as part of their family and take that extra bit of attention to your needs. Thank you for such a relaxing three days

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Old Orchard Inn is located in a beautiful setting with stunning views, just outside of Wolfville. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is very good. The rooms are clean.
The inn seems to be a hodge pudge of different buildings and styles and just not that easy to navigate. The rooms and bathrooms are really showing their age and in desperate need of care. You can easily hear everyone passing and talking in the corridor as they come and go. Earplugs may be helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfville
Slumber Inn
Super 8 Windsor NS
Super 8 Windsor NS
#1 of 2 in Windsor
Gaspereau Valley Bed & Breakfast

Been to Old Orchard Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!