“Extremely good fish - but VERY expensive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bullocks' Bistro

Bullocks' Bistro
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Yellowknife
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Edmonton, Canada
“Extremely good fish - but VERY expensive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Bullock's is one of those "must see" bistros that everyone in town talks about. Their fish is the best in town. What they don't tell you is that it is EXTREMELY expensive! If you are in town for the first time, you should check it out - but probably only once, and be prepared to pay a hefty price. We had the pickerel which was very nicely deep fried in a light batter, with fries and salad, and bottled water.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
High Level, Canada
“So Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Vacationing in Yellowknife I knew I had to try this restaurant out after reading all the reviews. I wasn't sure what we would be getting into after reading the negative ones, but I can tell you now, I have no idea what some other people were talking about.
It is very small, so I can see it being uncomfortable if it was very busy. We went in the early afternoon so there was just a small crowd. As soon as we walked in and seated ourselves we were told to come up and help ourselves to fresh buns at the counter. Immediately we felt right at home, getting my own drinks and dishes just helped set the mood for the restaurant. The cook was lively and we had a great conversation with her. We did wait awhile for our food but there's only one cook on the line and she was cooking for ten people so what do you expect. I would rather wait an hour for fresh homemade food then 15 mins for some rewarmed pre frozen food they serve at other restaurants.
We both had the white fish, deep fried and pan fried. Both were delicious! Growing up on the East Coast I've eaten my fair share at some of the best fish and chip restaurants. Bullocks was easily one of the best fish meals I've ever had! And the salad dressings were great, I've been trying to duplicate them since I've gotten home.
One of the highlights of our visit up North, thank you for the amazing food and service!

• Visited June 2014
Cambridge Bay, Canada
“fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

I think this is one of the best places ever to eat. Never have I had a trout taste so Tasty......looking forward to returning for another dinner in the future.

Visited February 2014
Vineland, Canada
“One of a Kind!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

What a place! Just got back to Ontario from visiting friends in Yellowknife for the weekend. While I was there they insisted we go to Bullock's for dinner-something they do whenever out of town guests arrive. It doesn't look like much from the outside, so don't judge by that. We walked in and managed a spot at the counter-definitely better than a table, and started taking in all the was around me.

There is varying degrees of graffiti/signatures on the walls, door frames, and ceiling. Mixed in are a large variety of mostly funny, but not all family appropriate bumper stickers. The range hood is completely covered! The food is amazing, not at all inexpensive, but I saw several of the largest buffalo steaks ever-2 inches thick and at least two hands long.

I had the whitefish and chips, which was cooked with the most amazing flavour combination. Alison from Hamilton was the chef on that night, and was entertaining with chit chat as well. She begins with at least a cup of butter in the pan for 2 fillets, pan fries the fish, adding things along the way. When the fish is done, it gets a final sprinkle of seasoning, a splash of what I think is terriyaki sauce, then a swipe of some garlicky green paste to top it off. The spice mix seems to have a garam masala flavour, but when I asked she said the owner makes her own spices, sauces and even HUGE buns so she didn't actually know what was in it, or it's just a big secret. I'm good either way. Doesn't really matter-the flavours all together were amazing. I did turn to my friend and confirm that licking my plate was still impolite.
Apparently when the owner is there cooking, customers are also verbally abused-part of the charm, but we were not privy to this as she had a night off. Would I go back again? In a heartbeat!

• Visited June 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“I always look forward to dinner at Bullocks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

When I visit Yellowknife, there's no question where I go for dinner the first night. Bullocks Bistro, every time. Humble atmosphere, gorgeous view paired with fresh local fish and "uniquely" friendly service. After you've eaten way too much, you can take a short walk up the hill to the pilot's monument to take in some more fantastic views of downtown Yellowknife and Great Slave Lake.