“For the short version, skip to the last paragraph. For the full details of my experince, please read on.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bullocks' Bistro

Bullocks' Bistro
Ranked #1 of 72 Restaurants in Yellowknife
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I know this is a long one. For the short version, skip to the last paragraph. For the full details of my experince, please read on.

My boyfriend & I visited Bullocks about a month ago. Lets say we won't be going back next time we are in Yellowknife. Walking in we thought we had travelled into a time warp. It was busy but not packed upon our arrival. This quickly changed. My first impression was turn around & walk out the door. Covered with bumper stickers, business cards, photos, writing on the walls & ceiling, feels like your on hoarders.

We had Arctic Char, Buffalo Steak and two pops. Each dinner included salad,a bun & home made french fries. I did not get my fries until after I ate the rest of my meal, then was asked if I still wanted them. I will give credit when credit is due, the food tasted good & was plentiful. However overpriced. For anyone that says that the prices are high because of transportation cost up there, don't be fooled, both the Buffalo & Arctic Char are local.

The help yourself to drinks from the cooler and the “grab a glass, the sink is over there” comment to customers was a turn off. I have never heard of this in all my travels. The service could have made up for the negatives, if there was any. I found the staff abrupt and sometimes sarcastic. There did not seem to be any type of order in this place. I guess this is all part of the “one of a kind experience” that you are paying for at Bullocks.

We sat at the bar in front of the grill and saw how everything was prepared. I was shocked at the food handling of raw meat & fish there. She did not wash her hands after touching the raw meat & fish. In fact I watched her pick up pieces of meat dripping with juices, oil it on the bar where we sat, then place it on the grill. The whole time allowing it to drip into everything else. Touching things like handles, dish towels, utensils, plates and other food.

We left the “bistro” feeling like we had just been ripped off. It was fine dinning prices but missing the fine. Our bill read 2 orders of Fish and Chips $39.95 each, 2 soft drinks $4.00 each. I almost fell over when I saw that it came to $92.30 before tip.

I have a tip for anyone reading this.... save your time & some money. Go somewhere that appreciates their customers and has the true charisma of Yellowknife.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Frickled-Ginger-Kid

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chesley
“Food and quirks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Bullock's is a must go. It is featured on Canadian show, Arctic Air, so go and see it. It is a bit eccentric, a dive like atmosphere and service is non existent. Bring a lot of money or credit card because it is expensive. Domestic beer 7 bucks and Grolsch almost thirteen bucks a bottle. The food is good. Menu had quite a few options, lastly fish but we were only offered whitefish, Arctic char and pickerel. Had to clear own table. But, we had a lot of fun. Fries and fish amazing. Walls decorated with bumper stickers, silly sayings and ceiling has cardboard with signatures. Strange place but part of the northern experience. Costs TOO much but, oh well...

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cynthia M
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“YUMMY!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Went there twice in the same day Had the muscox stew at lunchtime (they only serve stew at lunch) and had a great sampler of exotic meats and fresh fish during dinner. The marinade was excellent and so was the feta dressing for the salad.
Definitely must go if you're in Yellowknife! Don't forget your camera too

• Visited March 2013
Yellowknife, Canada
“Mediocre overpriced food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The place is crowded and too small. The food (when it eventually made it to the table) was average. The only thing that really distinguished the place was the fact that I was paying 49 dollars for fish and chips.

• Visited February 2013
6 Thank KelOh
Yellowknife
“Fresh fish is tough to beat anywhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Make sure you have something to eat before going, as it can take literally hours after you've ordered to get your food. I'm not sure if this is because they go out on the lake to catch the fish after you've ordered, or if it's a ploy to maximize the number of outrageously expensive pre-meal drinks prior to the food's arrival. Anyway, they serve quality fish and that's a good thing.

• Visited September 2012