“An interesting experience”

Ranked #4 of 77 Restaurants in Yellowknife
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

When the local tourism guide describes an establishment as "service not as bad as reputed to be if you go there with a laid back attitude " ( or words to that effect) you know this is not your run of the mill operation!

Our son warned us not to be in a hurry to get our food and that the service could be erratic so we went prepared. Had to sit on patio as inside was very crowded, but nice July evening so no problem. Our party of 4 was in no hurry (good thing) and we got drinks within 20 minutes of sitting. Took another 30 to order food and another hour or so for the food to come. During this time people who came in 45 minutes later than us got their orders in at the same time as us, but we did not complain as the sign above the
main door says "no sniveling".

Food when it arrived WAS very good and lots of it. Fish great and home cut fries also very good.

In all I enjoyed the food and the experience but would only return with new attendees for the experience. Very pricey and no menus to speak of.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

The other reviews for the restaurant are as up and down as my feelings about this place. I went with some colleagues from work, one of whom had read in Readers Digest that it was rated as having the Best Fish and Chips in North America. I respectfully disagree with Readers Digest. That is not to say that there was anything wrong with the food, I just would be hesitant to call it the best. It was very good! I would write about the menu but there isnt one, i had the choice of White fish, Pickeral, Arctic Char and Trout. There was also a Bison skewer available. The ambience and setting are on the quirky side, if you're looking for fine dining you're not going to be happy. If you enjoy sharing a picnic table with others and meeting the other people you're eating with then this is for you. I can best describe it as East Coast kitchen party meets Northern shore lunch. Growing up in North Western Ontario this felt like home to me, with moms attitude and all. The only negative I have is the price. $40 for a plate of Pickeral, chips, salad and a soda. Given the prices for everything else here I suppose it's not that bad, but it's deffinately not that good either. I'd say, eat here at least once so you can say you have, then you can decide if it's worth a subsequent visit. For me.... I'm going back!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I went and we could not use a table and they told us to sit at the bar because there were only two of us.
They don't give you a menu and don't tell you the prices. You have to go to the fridge and get your own drink. They don't even give you a glass of water. We were at the bar and didn't have a napkin or knife and fork and had to ask for the salt.

The fish came on the same plate with a lettuce without any dressing, and a few chips.
The bison was also on the same plate as the lettuce which is disguting to have blood in the salad !
To make matters worse the fish and bison steak was raw in the middle.
The dinner for two people was $100 which is outrageously overpriced !!! They claim to be the best fish and chips in Canada....obviously a lot of people in Yellowknife haven't had real fish and chips.

Never returning to this restaurant and do not recommend.

5  Thank sopito
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Fascinating interior, no grumpy staff, in fact we were welcomed with warm buns and hot fries which were very welcomed afte hiking Prospector's Trail! Menu was expensive, but tasty, worth the visit!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Bullock's is a destination, not a real restaurant in the true sense of the meaning. It would be a street-car diner at best, with only two choices of fish at any time, and likely no meat available. I was there 4 times, twice couldn't get a seat without using a gun, and twice the place was all but empty so just sat and waited until someone finally attitude'd over to explain all they had was whitefish, one other fish, and no meat. But, they have a wonderful old-Yellowknife frontier shack, staff, and snot-on-their-sleeve attitude. You'll get a kick out the place, once, and although they do have fresh fish, it'll cost you dearly ($40) for a plate with a fried fillet, a handful of fries and some shredded lettuce. The whitefish is only $22, but you're getting whitefish... nothing you wouldn't normally just feed your cat. It ain't (snort) a bistro!! It is a camp cook-shack festooned with old pictures and graffiti from previous tourists, and served up by some hard-assed old-timers that have seen better days. But, it is an experience! Those that rave about the food... WTH have you ever eaten?

1  Thank worldfishingfreak